Planning another brush project

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Planning another brush project

Post by brothers »

Recently, I posted in another thread about an old brush I picked up at the flea market a couple of weeks ago. --- here's the bottom line --- I bought a pretty (to me :) ) vintage bakelite Rubberset brush handle and the old knot was just trash. Fortunately it popped out without any difficulty, leaving the empty hole without any old glue to clear out. The hole is only 21mm wide. It'll be a piece of cake to enlarge it to about 24 or so, to fit the new knot. The old handle has a green varigated base and the collar is cream colored. It doesn't have any cracks, scratches, or damage, but it did receive a thorough polishing and waxing to bring out the pretty colors. It feels solid, so I won't have to add any weight or filling. I haven't redone an old brush in a year or so, and I'm looking forward to this little project. Originally I considered a $60 HMW badger knot from TGN, but on reflection, I located a fairly large synthetic knot (24mm x 70mm - I like large knots) at Shave Revolution for $15, to put into the old handle. Here's what the old handle looks like, now that I've finished cleaning and polishing it. I'll post again in a few days after I've finished setting the new knot.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Oscar11

Re: Planning another brush project

Post by Oscar11 »

Very nice looking handle, good luck with it.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

my first brush was a Rubberset but it didn't look anything like that. I tossed it when I got my first good brush. I think I have a picture of it posted along with the new one in and old thread if anyone is interested.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thats a nice looking handle....looking forward to seeing the completed project

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I abandoned that specific project. I'll just keep that old green and white handle as-is. Reason: I lost interest in having yet another badger brush, and I lost interest in that old handle. After I got the new synthetic knot, I decided to get a new handle, and now I have it. It's a new and quite beautiful mesquite burl custom made by Bob Quinn of Elite Razors. I received it yesterday and already installed the new knot. Hopefully it'll be ready to use this morning for the first time.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Very nice!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Three days with the new synthetic, and I love it. I love the handle too. :wink:
Gary