Downton Abbey's final season USA begins on Jan. 4

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Downton Abbey's final season USA begins on Jan. 4

Post by brothers »

Looking forward to watching it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Re: Downton Abbey's final season USA begins on Jan. 4

Post by Kyle76 »

What's this George Clooney stuff I'm hearing about? Plus, I don't think it's the final season, is it? I thought they were under contract for at least one more.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

You know more than I do. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I hope this is truly the final. The series is well past its best before date..."enough is as good as a feast".
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Think you are referring to Season 5, which officially finishes in the UK tomorrow with their Christmas special. Season 6 was confirmed early November .... and Julian Fellowes has signed up. This guy -- makes gobs of money sounding like he's the smartest guy on the planet .... he is entertaining to watch and listen to (not a bad character actor either -- watch him as Lord Killwillie in Monarch of the Glen).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Think you are referring to Season 5, which officially finishes in the UK tomorrow with their Christmas special. Season 6 was confirmed early November .... and Julian Fellowes has signed up. This guy -- makes gobs of money sounding like he's the smartest guy on the planet .... he is entertaining to watch and listen to (not a bad character actor either -- watch him as Lord Killwillie in Monarch of the Glen).
Nooooooooo, not another season #-o I guess they're are milking it for all it's worth; as PT Barnam said, there's one born every minute. I do agree, however, that Fellowes was excellent as Killwillie in M of the G.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, oh well, I'll probably watch it through the final segment anyway.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

We've decided the new season is on track. Worth watching more episodes. Not bad.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As of yesterday, now we can begin enjoying what they say is the final season. Watched it tonight, and it wasn't bad.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im waiting for episode 4(?) and then buying the season from amazon so that i can binge watch :D

My deal: no spoilers for the first 4 from you gents, and i promise not to say anything about the last set. Deal????????? lol

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Check out SimplyJune.org gents --- the entire series became available as each episode was broadcast in the US. Including the Christmas special.

We watched it back in November/December ...... I won't comment on anything beyond episodes that were shown.

I will say that some characters get better, and some, in my estimation, get worse. :-$
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote:
jww wrote:Think you are referring to Season 5, which officially finishes in the UK tomorrow with their Christmas special. Season 6 was confirmed early November .... and Julian Fellowes has signed up. This guy -- makes gobs of money sounding like he's the smartest guy on the planet .... he is entertaining to watch and listen to (not a bad character actor either -- watch him as Lord Killwillie in Monarch of the Glen).
Nooooooooo, not another season #-o I guess they're are milking it for all it's worth; as PT Barnam said, there's one born every minute. I do agree, however, that Fellowes was excellent as Killwillie in M of the G.
SWMBO has insisted on watching the final season and I will be retreating to my study each episode.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The kids think it's funny as hell I watch this stuff. Dad, you know you can get youtube on your Roku, doncha?
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

If you haven't seen them yet, the 2011 Red Nose and Text For Santa from a couple of years later are both excellent.
Wendell

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Since we support PBS, they sent us Season 6 right after the first episode aired earlier this month and we had a Downton Abbey marathon when it arrived.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Seen it - all I will say is it is left very open-ended so I'm not assuming this is really it.

This has to be one of the very rare occasions when the UK is actually ahead of The USA/Canada on something...

Gareth
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Gareth wrote: This has to be one of the very rare occasions when the UK is actually ahead of The USA/Canada on something...

Gareth
Actually, Gareth, public television around here is littered with reruns of British television series, many decades old. On Saturday nights, we get back-to-back episodes of "Keeping Up Appearances" that must be 25+ years old.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I used to enjoy All Things Great and Small. I haven't checked anywhere to find out if it's available.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gareth wrote:Seen it - all I will say is it is left very open-ended so I'm not assuming this is really it.

This has to be one of the very rare occasions when the UK is actually ahead of The USA/Canada on something...

Gareth
I would say that the UK is well ahead of us in a number of areas. I recall in 2003 on a visit, seeing an old Nissan Micra with remote locking capabilities on the key fob. They have long had the single key/remote on European and UK cars for many years --- something only now being embraced by North American and Asian manufacturers.

While they may not have the legendary service of LL Bean, I have found working with a number of bespoke companies, they have gone well beyond the call of duty -- for example recently. my wife purchased a satchel from Zatchels and it turned out to be too small for her needs. When she called in and asked about whether she could upgrade for the difference, they insisted on replacing the one she bought for no cost --- including the shipping cost to Canada, and they told her to keep the original bag as an apology for the inconvenience. Emma Bridgewater is another company who are always standing behind their products ---- providing free shipping often, discounting pieces, and replacing items which had small imperfections, again insisting that we keep the initial product as an apology.

On another interesting front -- I noticed that ApplePay and Samsung Pay were front and centre in every bank, and many stores, including the post offices. I barely see these here on this side of the pond.

Back to Downton Abbey -- hope you all are enjoying it. The Christmas special is the real final episode, leaving plenty of open switches .... I won't spoil it for those of you who are still watching.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up. We enjoyed the final season and looking back, the entire series was quite well-done. We didn't have any lingering reservations when we watched the final episode. I have no problem recommending this entire series to anyone who hasn't yet discovered this excellent piece of work.
Gary