I've Learned to Use Big Floppy

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Ouchmychin

I've Learned to Use Big Floppy

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have posted about the first badger brush I bought on ebay before. It turned out to be a barber shop display model from Tone's barber supply in England. The bristles are so long that it tends to splay an my face as I lather up. But now I am using an ARCO shaving stick and then face lathering. I found that if I just dip the first inch of my brush in hot water and lather up, it has plenty of backbone and that soft mass of bristles do the best job of any brush in my collection. I posted a picture of the brush in another thread if anyone is interested. By the way, I also found that if I soak the ARKO in about 1/8 inch of water between shaves, it willingly puts a tremendous amount of soap in my whiskers; enough to do 3 passes, a polish, and then squeeze about half of the lather back into the cup with the ARKO/
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Rufus

Re: I've Learned to Use Big Floppy

Post by Rufus »

I have a couple of large floppy brushes which I quite like. In fact, I prefer them to my dense, unyielding brushes, which feel like a brick of badger on my face.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Large and floppy work great for me!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Luuuuuuuuuuuv the flop!!! :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I don't use large brushes, but thin and floppy are a perfect combination for efficient lathering in a bowl or on top of the cake of soap.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thin and floppy are a perfect combination for efficient lathering in a bowl or on top of the cake of soap.
perhaps why a brush like the bk4 is still one of the best brush buys (even if 'thin' is stretched in meaning :) }

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:
thin and floppy are a perfect combination for efficient lathering in a bowl or on top of the cake of soap.
perhaps why a brush like the bk4 is still one of the best brush buys (even if 'thin' is stretched in meaning :) }

clive
+1

I haven't used my C&E Super Badger more than two or three times since picking up my BLK4 a year and a half ago.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Well, I'm just as turned off by flop as by firm & dense, but have found Shavemac 2-band silvertips to be a great middle ground. Even so, it took three of them to dial-in the right amount of comfort and efficiency I was after. My loosey-goosies like the Kent and Savile Row, and a Thater or two, were all excellent at generating lather, and vintage Plisson HMW and EW with their tall lofts were even more a treat; not so much the Chubbies and uber-dense M&F/Rooneys (with one exception: a Finest that was so nice otherwise that I could overlook its denseness).
Ron