Another Wet Shaving Moment on Tele

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Another Wet Shaving Moment on Tele

Post by jww »

Dickensian, episode 17, about 9 and a half minutes or so in. Young Arthur Havisham speaking with cad Compeyson wielding a shaving brush and straight razor. Click on individual images to see them fully.

And if you enjoy the traditional British period piece, you ought to watch this. It started Christmas night or Boxing Day night, and has been progressing along ever since. 30 minute episodes for series one which ends in a couple of weeks. We love it --- so much so, that we spent yesterday watching the BBC production of Bleak House all the way through (Family Day in Ontario, so I took the day off from my current search for contracts).
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 1.56.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 1.56.41 PM.png (294.19 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 1.55.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 1.55.58 PM.png (306.35 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
BBSshaveCo

Re: Another Wet Shaving Moment on Tele

Post by BBSshaveCo »

It's fun to see that as wet shaving continues to gain in popularity we are seeing an ever increasing number of safety razor and straight razor sightings in movies and TV. My latest sightings were in Bridge of Spies with the safety razor the spy uses and the giant C.O. Bigelow sign in a few scenes.
James
Baby Butt Smooth Shave Company | Vendor of wet shaving products, kits, and gifts
http://www.BBSshaveCo.com
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Wendell, is this show on BBC America?
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Chaps wrote:Wendell, is this show on BBC America?
No Danny, it is not.

We are streaming it via the BBC iPlayer (we run Unblock-us for VPN streaming of UK tele). But, you can stream it now from the US site known as www.SimplyJune.org. They have a ton (and I do mean ton) of UK series.
Wendell

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Thanks so much for the info, Wendell. I appreciate it.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Actor Matthew McConaughey is shown lathering up with a brush in a recent Lincoln car commercial.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Actor Matthew McConaughey is shown lathering up with a brush in a recent Lincoln car commercial.
I noticed that. It goes well with his accent. 8)

I wonder if Lincoln is actually selling more cars as a result of bringing him on as their main celebrity spokesperson.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:Actor Matthew McConaughey is shown lathering up with a brush in a recent Lincoln car commercial.

I wonder if Lincoln is actually selling more cars as a result of bringing him on as their main celebrity spokesperson.
I find the Lincoln commercials pretentious not to mention pompous and this chap just adds to my annoyance. I've never understood why someone would buy a product based on a putative celebrity endorsing the product (on a paid basis).
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

The current Lincoln and Buick campaigns are designed to change the image of those brands from stuffy to hip. McConoughey was chosen for his ultra-cool image, but the ads are a little over the top for me as well. There's a difference between being ultra-cool and acting ultra-cool.
Jim
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

To tell you the truth, the Lincoln ads look kind of slimey to me.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I got the impression that the car company is trying to send some kind of sex message to young/cougar female wanna-be consumers, or to their male counterparts. Just my 2 cents. . . :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Rufus wrote:
jww wrote:

I find the Lincoln commercials pretentious not to mention pompous and this chap just adds to my annoyance. I've never understood why someone would buy a product based on a putative celebrity endorsing the product (on a paid basis).
+1

The commercial quickly shows him lathering up with a brush, but not using a razor, perhaps because it would be too risky for his Hollywood face, even without a blade in it. Also, gotta wonder if the Lincoln had a manual transmission, whether he would know how to drive it.

Garry Shandling and Jerry Seinfeld had a bit of fun with this guy's Lincoln commercials here:

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com ... till-alive
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

those car commercials are disgusting. I willnever buy a Lincoln or buick because of these commercials.

Id rather get a powder blue prius, and drive around holding a Chihuahua all day, and still be the cooler, manlier, image.

The screenshot was interesting to say the least.