Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Post by brothers »

Today was my first use of this blade that comes to us as an off-the-shelf local retailer item. In my favorite razor the final product was silky smooth and baby soft. No complaints, it's a keeper for me. Now to determine how long the edge holds up in everyday use.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the report, Gary. It will be awhile before I get around to changing blades again, so it's good to get your impressions.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Another poster on another forum said that these reminded him of an Israeli Personna and not the old U.S. Platinum Plus. I could not possibly disagree more. So, I have some NOS U.S. Platinum Plus that I dug out of storage to compare to these. We shall see.
brothers

Post by brothers »

For me, it's the razor that dictates how well the blade works. A mediocre razor loaded with a mediocre blade will yield mediocre results. Furthermore, a mediocre blade loaded into an excellent razor can only yield mediocre results. For me, the tip of the pyramid is when a great razor is paired with a great blade and the results are outstanding.

EDIT: My reason for making this statement is that I do know the DE razor I am using is unsurpassed, and there are none better for me. This razor can tell me which blades are excellent, and which are not quite excellent, serviceable, mediocre, or bad. At this point I have confirmed the best DE blades (for me :) ) are the old Platinum Plus from 50 years ago or so; The Spoilers -- (the Super Stainless blades from about the same time); Swedes; Personna hospital use; and Kai. Current pending possibilities for eventually sharing the term "best" are those we've been talking about lately, such as these Brazilians; Gillette Rubies; and what have you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

I picked up a pack at my local Walgreens a couple of weeks ago. After a week of comfortable shaves from the first blade, I've found it to be nice indeed, clearly a top-tier product. After using a new Perma-Sharp Super Monday, I shaved with a fresh Brazilian Platinum-Plus Tuesday. Though very smooth, my shave with the Brazilian Gillette was not as close or long-lasting as with the Perma-Sharp.

I used the same kit both days, including my favorite razor, the magical iKon 2010 OC Deluxe LE.

It's possible that I'm experiencing confirmation bias, however, given that I have several lifetimes' supply of Perma-Sharp Supers. :)
Last edited by gagarin on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good to hear from you, Chuck!

Like you, I really like the Perma-Sharp Supers and I have two hundred of them, so I appreciate the comparison of these with the Brazilian Gillettes.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

gagarin wrote:...It's possible that I'm experiencing confirmation bias, however, given that I have several lifetimes' supply of Perma-Sharps. :)
I have used the Perma-Sharp as made by Gillette (and still have a few tucks) and although I think it's a great blade, I think it's a rung below this one. However, that's just my subjective opinion as well.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I just went to Walgreen's and found three packages of Brazilian Gillettes. (I previously found two.) I told them I would like to get another five or six packages and they said they would try to order a larger quantity. Then I have to quit buying blades!

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

I was at our local grocery store (HEB) yesterday and they had two packs, too!

Mine now.

Seriously tempted to cruise around all the HEB's and Walgreen's in the area and snap them all up...but I won't.

I tried a new on in an open comb razor this morning. Had poor lather, and didn't make an effort to improve it (I was in a hurry), but still got a great shave.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
BPman

Post by BPman »

Gene wrote:I was at our local grocery store (HEB) yesterday and they had two packs, too!...
I am in the lower RGV in Texas, but have not seen these in HEB. Perhaps they are new there this week. I imagine they are the same $5.99 there as well. The Walgreen's stores down here are where I found mine.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

BPman wrote:
Gene wrote:I was at our local grocery store (HEB) yesterday and they had two packs, too!...
I am in the lower RGV in Texas, but have not seen these in HEB. Perhaps they are new there this week. I imagine they are the same $5.99 there as well. The Walgreen's stores down here are where I found mine.
At that price the Gillette Reintros are a penny or two cheaper per blade than Walgreens' own Studio 35 brand. The Studio 35's are Israeli-Personnas in a 10-blade slide-out dispenser. The same 10-blade dispenser can be had on a Kroger card about a mile from here for $2.39.

The Reintros may be great blades, but I have plenty of Shark SS, Astra SS, and Personna Labs purchased online to use up in the meantime.
pausted

Post by pausted »

BPman wrote:
I found them this morning at HEB in McAllen. $5.97 for 9 pack.
Best regards,

Basil
BPman

Post by BPman »

pausted wrote:I found them this morning at HEB in McAllen. $5.97 for 9 pack.

I found them today when I visited an HEB Plus for the price you stated.

I was in McAllen yesterday and stopped by an Indian store that has a few shaving products, but saw nothing new. I ate at Bar-B-Cutie on 10th. :mrgreen:
pausted

Post by pausted »

Can't comment about the blades yet because I haven't used them but I can vouch for Bar-B Cuties! I recommend the pulled pork Panchos! :D
Best regards,

Basil
yomuppet

Post by yomuppet »

I like these, but not as much as the Russian made Gillette Platinum blades (which are quite a bit less expensive than these Brazilians), and definitely not as much as similar NOS blades (including Swedes, Plat Plus, Super Silver, etc). They seem a touch rougher, and not as long lasting. They're just about the nicest blades you'd find in a drugstore though. You'll do better on price and quality online IMO. Cheers
BPman

Post by BPman »

Well, I have been doing a SxS objective test between this blade & a new NOS Platinum Plus from the 'Golden Age' and here are my results. I have done this as objectively as possible and by that I mean using one blade on one side of my face and other on the other side during the same shave. As well, I rotated sides on different days to be even more objective as quite frankly this has to be done at the same time to be more scientific and help eliminate day to day fluctuations. My opinion: there isn't any difference I can note. Nada. They are, for all intents & purposes, made with the same technology IMO. I used a Gillette Made in Canada pre-war Tech & a Schick Krona for the testing.

The final 'nail' in the coffin for me is that this Brazilian blade lasted seven shaves for me, which is as far as I ever got on ANY Golden Age blade for that matter.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was shave number 4. This was a 3 day growth and the result was as close and smooth as expected.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

these are great blades don't get me wrong, but they are to sharp to last that long for me. The best I can manage is 4 shaves from them. the same number of shaves I get from a Wilkinson sword .

I can get 7 shaves from family dollar blades. And all decent find shaves too. Sure I have to do 3 passes instead of 2 as with the brazillian platinum plus blades, but I LIKE shaving..
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nic, I don't recall whether you've mentioned using Personna hospital use blades yet. If you haven't, I have a large stock of them and will be happy to send you a few to try out. I have excellent results with them, and they have been my favorite/anytime go-to made in USA blades for several years now. I enjoy trying all of the currently popular competitors, and because (like you) I love the pleasant daily shave time, I don't feel compelled to limit myself to just one of anything when it comes to shaving stuff. You (and anyone else reading this) may send me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll send you some Personnas.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

my blades have a letter code of K on them, any idea on the age?