New to safety razors...don't even have one yet

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tevo1986

New to safety razors...don't even have one yet

Post by Tevo1986 »

Hello i am Steve.
I am new here. I grew up hearing about grandpas double edge razors as a kid from my father. Thinking this was a crazy idea. But now as an adult (I am 29) with issues from using store bought 3, 4, and 5 blade razors having having bad razor burn. And even a horrible shave needing 2-3 passes to shave even somewhat close. I currently haven't shaved all winter with only a trim halfway. I am seeking help on getting a great shave and not having to spend thousands of dollars a year. Yes I said thousands. One I've tried almost every razor u can get off a shelf in a big box store. 2 I've bought so many different kinds of shave creams and gels and whatnot to try to help with the razor burn. I actually found one that really does help. I've had 2 different electric razors and the last one worked well. But I have a courser hair and need to buy a new head every 2-3 months at $50 a pop. I am hopping u all nice gentleman can help me find something that could be a life saver to me. Something that would actually make me want to shave off this mountain man beard and go clean shaven for pence in my life. Thank u all in an advance for your help.
Steve
brothers

Re: New to safety razors...don't even have one yet

Post by brothers »

Welcome aboard Steve, go to ebay and find yourself a Schick Krona DE razor. This is a great razor for beginners or veterans. If you want blades to go with it and don't know what to buy, PM me and I'll send you some. I understand you have identified a good shaving cream, so I'll leave it at that. If you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help if we can.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tevo1986

Post by Tevo1986 »

So what I found on eBay is a vintage razor...is that correct. And actually I typed that wrong. I never actually found a shave cream. I found an after shave lotion that worked well
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

wlcome steve the shick krona is a vintage razor some of the older models of de razor tend to more mild, (i dont have one yet :wink: ) but that is the consensus of the shaving community
Jordan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Steve, welcome to our little community!

The Schick Krona is a vintage razor and, as Gary said, it is a very good one. If you want to buy a new double-edge/DE razor for a reasonable price, you can get an Edwin Jagger, which is quite popular, for $35.00 - $40.00. If you have very sensitive skin, a new Weishi razor, a vintage Gillette Tech or Super Speed, or the Schick Krona would be better. A good value in an adjustable razor is the Merkur Progress, but it will cost you closer to $70.00.

Some popular blades for getting started are Crystal (Israeli Personna), Red Pack Israeli Personna, Astra, and Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use. I recommend getting some of these blades and sticking with one until you get your basic technique worked out. Then you could consider buying one of the blade sampler packs if you want to try other blades. That is my opinion. Others here recommend a sampler pack from the start.

For shaving instruction with a DE, go to our ShaveMyFace University section, where you'll find Useful Videos at the top of the page. You can also go back through some of the threads in this section for good advice about shaving.

You can also go to our Shaving Creams & Hard Soaps section, where you'll find reviews on a number of soaps and creams. Gary did some excellent reviews on brushless creams, which might be a simpler way to go for now. Of course, there are a lot of soaps and creams now available that are not tested in this section.

If you want to start making your own lather, an inexpensive, but excellent, brush is the Semogue 1305 (under $20.00) made with boar bristle. Note that a boar brush will require breaking it to perform at its best.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have and we'll be happy to help you.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve, if you live near a Bath and Body Works store, they carry a very good and inexpensive shaving cream by CO Bigelow. It's actually Proraso, which is probably the most common and very good shaving cream if you like menthol. It is for use with or without a brush. As a member of SMF, you already know we love our shaving brushes for making lather, as opposed to applying the shaving cream without aid of a brush. Nothing wrong with that. If you don't care for CO Bigelow, you can find Cremo Cream or KissMyFace shaving cream at the corner drug or grocery stores where you live. As you have also seen, we can write volumes about all manner of beginner shaving brushes and where to find them. Edit: I posted this just a few minutes after Murray posted, and I didn't read his post. If I've repeated/contradicted something, please excuse me! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tevo1986

Post by Tevo1986 »

Thank u all. I will start slow then work into brushes and different creams. I've heard of kremo and kiss my face. I will try one of those and pick me up a konos
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Please remember that using a De razor may not reduce the number of passes you need to get properly shaved to your personal liking. However it will be more fun in the long run.

Since you allude to a hard to shave beard, I would suggest you stick with proven soap or cream that's renowned for creating good slick shaving fun.
spieck cella proraso bigelow arko la toja etc.

I ended up buying a luxurious assortment of 7 razors last year on ebay, and it cost me less then a brand new Phillips Norelco electric razor and one replacement blade/head for it would...

And in the realm of actual shave cream, I am not a fan of the store bought stuff in a can other than Barbasol. To many of the ingredients mess my face up. So I suggest keeping the ingredient list simple.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Right, most of us do two or three passes when we shave, attacking the beard from different directions. We do it with a single blade, however, so it is easier on the skin than a multi-blade cartridge. You can also choose a more "aggressive" razor for a closer shave or a "milder/gentler" razor for sensitive skin.

With a DE razor, you let the weight of the razor do the work. You don't apply pressure like you do with a cartridge razor.

Another brushless "gel" worth considering is Olivelogy. It comes in a bottle and it is like a mildly viscous liquid, but it provides excellent lubricity/glide and protection of the skin. I bought some back when the product first came to market and every once in awhile I remember it and use it. I used it last week and was impressed with it, once again. You can buy it at www.oliveology.com . The website is a little confusing, as you choose a foundation for them to donate a part of the purchase to. So, to access the products, you select "Choose a Foundation," you choose a foundation, and then you select the products. (Note that I have no connection to this company. I'm just impressed with the product.)

- Murray
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

As you stated that you have "coarser hair" and before we start galloping madly off in all directions regarding hardware, soaps and creams, let me point out the obvious: beard preparation.

As someone who uses straight and safety razors all the time, I have come to appreciate that an excellent shave starts with a thorough beard preparation.
There is no need for dedicated pre-shave creams or soaps (neither of which I use), thoroughly wetting you face and washing it with ordinary facial soap to remove oils and moisten your facial hair will go a long way to prepare your beard for a comfortable and close shave without irritation.

Once you have that routine figured out, we can start talking about which hardware and cream might be best for you.

A simple safety (e.g. Mühle DE89) razor with a proven (e.g. Polsilver) blade, a good (e.g. Mühle Silvertip Fibre) synthetic brush and a (e.g. Palmolive, Nivea, Musgo Real, even Proraso) cream will serve you well. (Soaps take some more effort and learning, and creams and gels generally do not perform on the same level as soaps and creams.)
I suggest to keep the variables in the beginning to a minimum, as excessive switching between razors, blades, brushes and soaps/creams will distract from the learning process that will help you find the technique that works best for you.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I also want to point out that without technique there is often blood. With DE shaving it is easier to nick cut or scrape somewhere on your face. You need to go slow and will have a learning curve. Most disposables are easier to handle than DE's.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Steve, welcome aboard. Yes, watch the videos and ask as many questions as you like. We enjoy talking about this stuff.
Regards,
Squire
Tevo1986

Post by Tevo1986 »

Thank U all. Been very busy. I have a lot of info to sort threw here. Thank u so much.
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Welcome aboard, Steve!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Hi Steve -

I am downsizing and would be pleased to give you a Gillette Flair Tip Super Speed. Free. This is a nice mild razor in good and attractive condition. Please PM me with your address and I will send it to you without delay.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

we like to talk shaving almost as much as we like shaving, and only half as much as we like fondling our razors.

for a good starter blade find a pack of family dollar razor blades. they are pretty good blades. not the sharpest but pretty smooth. Do need more passes then a platinum plus for the same level of closeness.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Nice guy wants to shave
Shaving vets dispense wisdom
Another convert
Rich