Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

face lathering

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!

face lathering

Postby nicodemus38 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:22 am

Is there a standard size for face lathering?

My 48/49 is wondering for working off a puck, and even from a lather bowl although I don't like or use a lather bowl. I face lather. I get good results loading the brush on a puck and then going for it on my face.
But I tried proraso blue today, and it was I think to floppy. it was well hydrated, the brush.

So im wondering if the old style short loft would or is better for a face latherer?
nicodemus38

Re: face lathering

Postby Rufus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:10 am

I face lather exclusively and I dislike dense, short-lofted brushes with lots of backbone. I use cream in the main, but I find my brushes work equally well with soap. My knot size sweetspot is 21-23mm diameter with a 48-52mm loft, although I do have some longer lofted ones. Many of my preferred brushes would probably be considered floppy by high density, strong backbone brush lovers, but I don't regard them as such. Some people extol the virtue of high density, strong backbone brushes for their exfoliating properties, but I don't see them that way. As far as I'm concerned, dragging a sharp razor blade over my face does all the exfoliation.
Bryan
Rufus

Postby Squire » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 pm

nicodemus38 wrote:Is there a standard size for face lathering? . . .

Not really. With enough experimenting and expense, God knows I've tried, some brush/soap/cream conjoining may be a bit better but the truth is any combination can be made to work. Wouldn't take my advice though, the journey is the fun.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Postby ShadowsDad » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:05 am

When I first started I liked smaller brushes similar in size to the Simpsons Special. Why? Because I could control the lather better and not get it into my nostrils. But that was when I only had less than a handful of brushes. If there is a standard size I'm not aware of it. Today I have brushes that are much larger than the Special and they all work fine. BTW, I face lather exclusively for a shave. When I was testing soaps I would hand lather and I've only bowl lathered twice and haven't done that in years.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Postby jww » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 am

One brush to do it all .... Kent BK4
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jww
Woolly Bully

Postby nicodemus38 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Im willing to try the kent BK4 so send me a pm and we can get it arranged for you to send me on brand new. on your dime to try.

I don't mind my brush, use of sticks has been a drastic different in th eamount of lather made. Its like, I coat my face with the stick, lather, and I get enough for roughly 3 passes. and clean up is easy. but the same brush from a puck, well I get typically enough lather in the brush for 3 passes. after im done shaving.
nicodemus38

Return to Shaving Brushes