What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Kyle76 »

Rufus wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:
Rufus wrote:Jim & Gary, thanks very much. SWMBO and I will definitely watch it; possibly this weekend.
Rufus, let us know how ya'll like it!
Watched the movie this afternoon. All I can say is, Wow, it was positively outstanding; extraordinarily powerful, just as the book. The cast, especially Gregory Peck and Mary, were absolutely true to their characters. I haven't watched a better movie, ever. The script was true to the book with no liberties taken. Have I mentioned the cast...wow. I found the ending of the movie more poignant than the book itself. Thanks for pointing me to the movie; a true and timeless classic.

PS, the book and movie to which I refer is, "To Kill a Mockingbird".
When Atticus Finch leaves the courtroom, and everyone in the balcony stands is silence ... I think that's about the most powerful scene in any movie ever. Glad you liked it. I was sure that you would!
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:
Rufus wrote:Jim & Gary, thanks very much. SWMBO and I will definitely watch it; possibly this weekend.
Rufus, let us know how ya'll like it!
Watched the movie this afternoon. All I can say is, Wow, it was positively outstanding; extraordinarily powerful, just as the book. The cast, especially Gregory Peck and Mary, were absolutely true to their characters. I haven't watched a better movie, ever. The script was true to the book with no liberties taken. Have I mentioned the cast...wow. I found the ending of the movie more poignant than the book itself. Thanks for pointing me to the movie; a true and timeless classic.

PS, the book and movie to which I refer is, "To Kill a Mockingbird".
It's as good a book-movie tandem as there is, in my opinion. I never tire of reading the book or watching the movie.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've finished reading Part 1 of Rogue Lawyer already. It's different, and because it's Grisham, it's got me interested and eager to dig into Part 2. He spent quite a bit of time framing the main character in a context that seems to be taking the readers in a direction that's raising a lot of questions as it feeds us new facts and characters.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Last read: The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear.

Currently reading: The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer.

Future reading: Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear and The President's Shadow by Brad Meltzer.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:I've finished reading Part 1 of Rogue Lawyer already. It's different, and because it's Grisham, it's got me interested and eager to dig into Part 2. He spent quite a bit of time framing the main character in a context that seems to be taking the readers in a direction that's raising a lot of questions as it feeds us new facts and characters.
I used to love Grisham, and have read and re-read many of his earlier books. Over time, however, I found that he would tell this excellent and compelling story, then around page 400 or so bring the book to a sudden close leaving me often asking if that was all there was. It seemed he was working towards a page target for his publishers. The Brethren was the most notorious culprit in this, but other books had the same conclusion for me.

Nevertheless, his early books were and still are incredible reads ------ A Time to Kill and The Client being still two of my favourite books of modern fiction.

Dissolution is going fine- -- I really enjoy the Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom.
Wendell

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Since discovering our public library has a fantastic Kindle catalog, I've gone a bit crazy. Thus I have checked out at present:

Leviathan Wakes
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
American Requiem

All interesting and engaging reads. The last provides perhaps the most opportunity for...creative internal dialogue...between me and James Carroll.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Last Man by Vince Flynn (his final book before he passed away in 2013 at a young age).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just finished The Survivor, A Mitch Rapp novel by Kyle Mills. I liked it, and even though I regret the passing of Vince Flynn, I applaud the choice of the publisher and Mr. Flynn's family to engage Kyle Mills to take up the gauntlet. I understand he's under contract to write at least one more of this series.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm half way through 'The War That Ended Peace. The Road To 1914', by Margaret MacMillan. For such a heavy topic it's surprisingly readable. I've learned a great deal about Europe's politics and intrigues, not to mention the characters, of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

October Men, about the 1978 Yankees by Roger Kahn, who wrote The Boys of Summer. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I saw this team at a weekend series in Baltimore, and baseball writing is some of the best sportswriting there is. Kahn is a master of the genre.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Night Manager by John Le Carre.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Was reading from the 1st Karmak Omnibus, and then put it down after the first book. OK and very predictable.

So, I grabbed up a few used paperbacks at the local ValueVillage (think a corporate version of GoodWill) and am now on to Ken Follet's Hornet Flight, which appears to be very loosely based on Thomas Sneum's first "escape" from Denmark in WWII. It's an outstanding read ---- love Follet's WWII books.

When I am done this I added Ludlum's Bourne trilogy to the bag (I got 3 free books) and will re-read them again for about the 4th time.
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Finished Follet's Hornet Flight. To be fair, it was fast paced, but not up to scratch with Eye of the Needle. Not a great book, but not a totally bad book either. Just a fun, quick read that wasn't up to my expectations.

Started PD James' A Shroud for a Nightingale. Anyone who reads my posts on this thread will already know I am a huge Dalgliesh fan and have read all James' books with one or two exceptions at least once, and some many times. You just can't beat a great Brittish whodunit. Bourne will sit a few more weeks while I take care of my taste for mystery.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell watching one that's well filmed is a pleasure as well.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Wendell watching one that's well filmed is a pleasure as well.
Indeed, and the British PD James' Dalgliesh series of TV dramas with Roy Marsden as the inspector himself are all very, very good.

Just finished Shroud ..... now tossing a coin as to whether to pick up another Dalgliesh (Death in Holy Orders) or jump to Ludlum...... hmmmm decisions, decisions.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I finished the Night Manager by Le Carre, and for my next book Im going to have to choose between another Le Carre (Our Game) and Lee Child's (A Wanted Man). Actually I'm going to read them both, just can't figure out which is next.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Not sure what happened, but Im really enjoying ultra moisture olay. lathers nicely, rinses off easily, decent scent(?) available everywhere.....5 thumbs up :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:Not sure what happened, but Im really enjoying ultra moisture olay. lathers nicely, rinses off easily, decent scent(?) available everywhere.....5 thumbs up :D

clive
Clive -- wrong thread????

:D

I decided to dive into Ludlum last evening .... and started The Bourne Ultimatum, which is still, in my mind, the best action/intrigue thriller of all time .... the movies simply don't come close to the books, and have to be viewed as totally unrelated works that share titles.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thank goodness I like seeing what you guys are reading because otherwise I would never have seen this hideous mis-post! :D :D

Yesterday I thought I was having a serious becks induced moment after not being able to find my post!

Thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now beginning The Revenant.
Gary