Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Re: Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Post by BPman »

brothers wrote:Murray, maybe it's an expectation/ perception issue that is at work. Or, it could be a matter of semantics. The blades are handled differently by the different razors. A specific blade works differently in different razors. I'm going to get two different results with the same DE blade in the Tech vs. the R41...
I agree. It's analogous to using the same type of tire on different vehicles.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman wrote:
brothers wrote:Murray, maybe it's an expectation/ perception issue that is at work. Or, it could be a matter of semantics. The blades are handled differently by the different razors. A specific blade works differently in different razors. I'm going to get two different results with the same DE blade in the Tech vs. the R41...
I agree. It's analogous to using the same type of tire on different vehicles.
I don't agree with this analogy. There are way more variables involved with tires and cars. Besides, no one here can invalidate the experience of another.

We still haven't been able to figure out what drives blade choice. I can say I like a sharper blade or a milder blade, but two of us who want sharper blades won't agree on which works best for each of us, and in most cases we can't explain it. Regardless of analogy or reasoning, I can just say that in my experience, my favorite blades are my favorite blades, regardless of the razor I choose. All anyone else can say is that this matches their experience or it doesn't. I can't tell anyone else here that their experience is invalid, nor can anyone else say that to me.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Murray, go to this link and scroll down to posts #94 - #98 for the results of a double blind blade test by various users. It's the most objective test I've seen and will surprise many. Sharpness & comfort are the two parameters:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/communi ... 685/page-5
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman, that is am impressive study, though I couldn't make sense of some of the data as presented. The study acknowledged that there was still some variability in preference that couldn't be explained. Interesting that I have a range of favored blades and none of them were among those tested.

I thought our disagreement was about my statement that I haven't experienced any incompatibility between specific blades and specific razors. My favorite blades work equally well in all razors that I have tried. The study (between posts 94 and 98, at least) didn't make reference to this phenomenon.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

I'm with Gary in that certain blades work well in certain razors better than others. Fortunately, all my favorite blades (which includes the winner in the aforementioned test) work like magic in my favorite razor, the Schick Krona. :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have long been fascinated with the Schick Krona, but I like razors with short, thick handles and the Krona's long handle with a taper towards the top always looked like an ergonomic nightmare to me. Within the last year, I finally bought one out of curiosity and I love it! The razor is light enough that I find myself gripping it naturally at the base of the handle, just as I do with my other razors, and it works great. I have a nice stash of vintage Schick Plus Platinum blades, but I have also liked it with every blade I have loaded into it.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:...I have also liked it with every blade I have loaded into it.

- Murray
I've said many times before that it's the greatest daily shaver ever invented. It's not too aggressive & not too mild. It's just dead nuts on the sweet spot. Many disparage the plastic handle, but for me it is of little importance as the length & checkering work perfectly for me. However, the silo door bevels are pure genius and I've never even measured the degree of angle. :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman wrote:
CMur12 wrote:...I have also liked it with every blade I have loaded into it.

- Murray
I've said many times before that it's the greatest daily shaver ever invented. It's not too aggressive & not too mild. It's just dead nuts on the sweet spot. Many disparage the plastic handle, but for me it is of little importance as the length & checkering work perfectly for me. However, the silo door bevels are pure genius and I've never even measured the degree of angle. :wink:
I heartily agree!

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well its best explained like this.

Each blade is differently suited for use. Sharpness and smoothness only goes so much.
When I used my weishi last year, I used Wilkinson swrods from Germany. that blend of blade and razor I could literally shave half asleep without a problem. but if I put something else in, I had to be fully awake to get a safe shave.

with my flare tip, if I use a platinum plus I get a great shave, but I have to be really damned careful in terms of technique due to easy injury. If I use a family dollar blade, most likely its a dorco 300, I get a lot more leniency in terms of angle and direction of shave.

when I tried a NOS 1953 Gillette blue blade, in flare tip, tech, and one other razor I cant remember, I got an extremely close shave. one pass and my face was irritated and raw, but perfectly smooth like I had waxed my whole face. second pass was worthless as NOTHING was left to shave anymore.
But if I kept my technique the same each time, and immaculate, I wouldn't end up with more then one nick . but if anything changed, even how I held the razor in my hand, the blood would start flowing like a cheap horror film on cable at 2 am.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm surprised you would have such a problem with a Flair-Tip Super Speed, as they were fairly mild (though not like a Tech). The Dorco ST300 is the most forgiving blade I have ever used. In fact, I always use to use it to test razors, as I could somewhat "tame" a more aggressive razor with that blade. The ST300 is reputed not to work well with heavy and/or coarse beards, so I'm surprised if it works for you. When I tried one more recently, I got a fair amount of tugging.

Carbon steel typically takes a keener edge than stainless, though it usually isn't as hard as the latter. So, the edge would deteriorate more quickly, as you observed. Vintage carbon steel blades are a little dicey because the edge will have deteriorated if it was exposed to any moisture, and the damage might not be easily visible. If the blades were properly stored for all these years, however, they can still be good.

- Murray
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Shaved this morning with the Brazilian (thanks, Gary!). Used it on two day stubble with my DE89. Found it sharp and smooth, perhaps a tad smoother than my usual first shave with a new Super Iridium. Will see how the week progresses with it.
John
BPman

Post by BPman »

I sent a 3 pak to malocchio last week so maybe he'll chime in here with his report as well. :wink:
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Had my first shave today utilizing the Brazilian Gillette...Valobra Lavanda croap,fat handle Tech ,Omega black badger and Myrsol Agua Balsamica...A smooth ,effortless shave.Now let's see how many shaves I can muster out of it.....Interesting Brasilia Gillette story here: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.a ... n-m0051304 .....give it 90 seconds to translate fully...
BPman

Post by BPman »

...The company does not stop the manufacture of old products. But also does not encourage their consumption. Not a penny is spent on advertising or promotion. All efforts to convince consumers to give up a Gillette product to start using another product of Gillette...
Which makes perfect sense.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the link.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

brothers wrote:Today was my first use of this blade that comes to us as an off-the-shelf local retailer item. In my favorite razor the final product was silky smooth and baby soft. No complaints, it's a keeper for me. Now to determine how long the edge holds up in everyday use.

Let me see if I understand this properly.

Gillette is selling DE blades, under the Gillette brand, made in Brazil, in domestic brick-and-mortar stores (such as CVS, Walgreen's, etc.)?

Could you maybe please post a picture of these beasts so I know what to look for? Or maybe a link to a picture??

Regards-
Dave
BPman

Post by BPman »

dosco wrote:Let me see if I understand this properly.

Gillette is selling DE blades, under the Gillette brand, made in Brazil, in domestic brick-and-mortar stores (such as CVS, Walgreen's, etc.)?

Could you maybe please post a picture of these beasts so I know what to look for? Or maybe a link to a picture??

Regards-
Dave
Gillette has had a factory in Brazil for decades, i.e., Gillette MADE these blades. Just Google them for a photo.
brothers

Post by brothers »

dosco wrote:
brothers wrote:Today was my first use of this blade that comes to us as an off-the-shelf local retailer item. In my favorite razor the final product was silky smooth and baby soft. No complaints, it's a keeper for me. Now to determine how long the edge holds up in everyday use.

Let me see if I understand this properly.

Regards-
Dave
Here's what they look like on the shelves at Walgreens.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

Many thanks. I'll keep my eyes peeled ... might be worth a few sheckels to try them out.

-Dave
Gene

Post by Gene »

9 blades for about $6.00. Not the best deal out there, and Swede's they are not...but not a bad blade overall. I think I will try them in my Krona, forgot about it in the arsenal!

I usually buy one or two packs if I am in a Walgreen's or my local grocery store (they stock them, too).

Building a small inventory of them for travel and what-not.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore