VDH Badger

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
nicodemus38

VDH Badger

Post by nicodemus38 »

I got one of these buggers, and its ODD.

it reeks of burnt plastic. ive been trying all sorts of shampoos and soaps, proraso blue cant touch it.

Im wondering if its jjust a cheap Chinese VDH thing and not indicative of all badger hair?
CMur12

Re: VDH Badger

Post by CMur12 »

I'm not familiar with this brush, but most badger hair comes from China now, as do most inexpensive badger brushes. I wouldn't be surprised if it were very simply a cheap badger brush made in China of very low-grade badger hair.

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

I had one of these that I got in a kit when the new VDH luxury line of soaps first came out. I used the brush for awhile but it never stopped shedding. I finally pitched it. I never did detect any strange odor though.
Best regards,

Basil
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

its a cross on burnt plastic and mold.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well it smells better now, but

its getting scratchier and scratchier every time I use it. I don't get it.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nic, I've never heard of a badger brush (or any other type, for that matter) getting scratchier and scratchier. I certainly can't explain it, either.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nic, put all brush strife behind and get these:
1. A current generation synthetic
2. A premium grade boar
3. A. Kent BK4 badger

You're no beginner, you've been around the block.Get all three and you can make this happen.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

brothers wrote:Nic, put all brush strife behind and get these:
2. .....
Particularly concur with the recommendation for Nic to get a current generation synthetic (e.g. Mühle Silvertip Fibre).

Not only perform these brushes extremely well, are robust and dry quickly (which makes them perfect for travel), they also make it easy to create a nice lather from some of the more difficult soaps.
This might help Nic come to terms with (Cella) soap he has been struggling with and that most of know as a very good performer.

B.
Last edited by Brutus on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:Nic, put all brush strife behind and get these:
2. A premium grade boar
3. A. Kent BK4 badger

You're no beginner, you've been around the block.Get all three and you can make this happen.
Excellent advice, Gary! This truly gets to the heart of the matter and resolves all confusion and all problems.

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

I don't really get the hype of a premium grade boar. a lot of fellows who will spend 50$ for a tub of soap, or 80$ for a vintage unopened box of razor blades love to us the same omega I get. it gets beautiful reviews everywhere.

But the vdh badger, I used it again. and its actually gotten to be more scratchier then my omega 49.

ive felt paint brushes, boar and badger that were better in softness then this vdh. the handle I admit is pretty decent.
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:I don't really get the hype of a premium grade boar. a lot of fellows who will spend 50$ for a tub of soap, or 80$ for a vintage unopened box of razor blades love to us the same omega I get. it gets beautiful reviews everywhere.

But the vdh badger, I used it again. and its actually gotten to be more scratchier then my omega 49.

ive felt paint brushes, boar and badger that were better in softness then this vdh. the handle I admit is pretty decent.
Nic, there is probably a misconception that a premium boar is expensive. Omega 20106 and 20107 (maybe a few others) are around $10 or $15. Same for some of the Semogue and Zenith boars. Not much money at stake. I'm not aware of any hype as pertaining to these brands, other than the fact that they work really good and are cheap and offered in a variety of shapes and sizes and handle styles. The Omega 49 is what I'm talking about also. If you've got it, then you've got what I call a premium grade boar brush. The VDH is a prime example of a less than premium grade of boar. You should probably ditch the VdH and stick with your Omega.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

brothers wrote:
Nic, there is probably a misconception that a premium boar is expensive.
Well, a large (#20-24) vintage (1970-1982), NOS, Plisson HMW set in plexiglass will cost you about US$2,000. If you can find one. Depends upon what one considers expensive.

Buzz
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well I see boar brushes up into the 40-50 range so I scratched my head.

im still trying to figure it out myself this vdh badger. its not really holding its shape much, shedding like a wet rat.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

nicodemus38 wrote:well I see boar brushes up into the 40-50 range so I scratched my head.

im still trying to figure it out myself this vdh badger. its not really holding its shape much, shedding like a wet rat.
You got a dog of a badger. It could happen to anyone.

Buzz
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

but after all the decent reviews im not surprised.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

i used a virgin puck of Williams today with the vdh dog.

the brush felt like it was a 30 dollar sable paint brush. soo smooth and soft.

is it possible that it just likes soap with an extremely high degree of glide?