mentholation

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
nicodemus38

mentholation

Post by nicodemus38 »

Is it me or am I the only one who notices that once foam in a can was the rage, menthol was requirement in all aftershaves?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: mentholation

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think the Italians have been using menthol in shaving products since the dawn of time. And since for reasons unknown, there were an awful lot of Italian barbers in the US at one time, a lot of Americans became acquainted with Italian products and this created an air of authenticity about American-made products that included menthol. I don't think it was there in response to facial burning from crappy canned foam.
Curiously, menthol was never part of the traditional English approach to shaving products, and I still can't stand the stuff. It belongs in cough lozenges.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Whatever the etiology, I like a good whack of menthol every so often; it cools, refreshes and invigorates my face.
Bryan
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Once in awhile I enjoy the Proraso experience. I used to enjoy the Santa Maria Novella original but now that it pivoted toward the Tuscano? frag, not so much. Having been delving into traditional shaving going on 9 plus years I tend to gravitate toward the old school Trumper, T&H, Taylors, Tabac, etc products myself.
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm happy to say I love menthol in shaving products. Of course I don't use it exclusively because that would be flaky. I think some of the big brand names have tried to compete half-heartedly in that field by putting out stuff with peppermint and/or eucalyptus, but that just isn't ever going to overtake Krampert's Frostbite, Phoenix Frost Bite(?), Fine Snakebite, or Proraso. I also have menthol shaving soaps from Catie's Bubbles, Nanny's Silly Soaps (a very nice lady who happens to be located in the UK), and Strop Shop. Personally, I prefer to avoid eucalyptus. I think Proraso must have started the mixing of eucalyptus and menthol.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:Is it me or am I the only one who notices that once foam in a can was the rage, menthol was requirement in all aftershaves?
It wasn't an accident, of course. If it wasn't flying off the shelves (still is) it wouldn't be offered. By the way, the requirement you're referring to was enacted and enforced by the guys lined up at the corner drugstore and grocery store to spend their money on mentholated shaving cream in the can, one of whom was yours truly. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Yes...and over the past 5 years both Omega and Proraso ,along with many others, have watered down the menthol and/or eucalyptus content , much to my dismay.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

drmoss_ca wrote: . . . . And since for reasons unknown, there were an awful lot of Italian barbers in the US at one time . . . . C.
An old barber from Palermo told me it's because Italians are good with knives.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

For a couple years I have been using Barbon aftershave from Hungary. It is mentholated but they seem to have got the other scents that make it come together just as I like. It is dirt cheap but shipping doubles the price (to about 10 bucks). A member posted about it and it is on ebay.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For just a moment there I thought I read Bourbon used for aftershave. That would actually work but I wouldn't leave the house.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

During the warm months I turn into a Frostbite addict. Then as the weather begins to cool off I have to force myself to move to Bay Rum. But I still use Frostbite during the winter at times for the double hit of cold.

The strangest sensation I ever had was a very hot basin of water giving me hot skin after the rinse, then cold at the same time from the Frostbite splash. It needs to felt to be believed.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square