Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Re: Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil

Post by BPman »

Gene, do you still have some Swedes?
Gene

Post by Gene »

Sorry for the late response. I am flying home from Montreal today. This is my third leg, Detroit to Austin, ugh.

Yes, I have about 15 or 20 5-blade packs. I was fortunate enough to chance on a member here at SMF selling a decent stash of them.

I can get 10 to 15 shaves out of each one, I love them!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not sure how long the BPP blades hold their edge but they deliver a remarkably close and smooth shave. It's a pleasure to use them.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Isn't that an EJ razor they're showing in the pics? Or could it be the knockoff they plan to sell at AoS stores?
Perhaps a re-badged EJ razor?
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

brothers wrote:I'm not sure how long the BPP blades hold their edge but they deliver a remarkably close and smooth shave. It's a pleasure to use them.
Finally found some at a Walgreens several miles from here, but not at the closest one, within bicycling distance. Looks like a nice blade, but I have some Shark SS that I keep gravitating to. Also plenty of Astra SS and Personna Labs to work through.
Last edited by Rufust445 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

if the photo in the razor blade add is the new release, I bet they call it a double ring by EJ.

The platinum plus blade is pretty damn good. If your not too picky it can last 7 really good shaves. If you have peach fuzz it might last you one blade per month
BPman

Post by BPman »

Damn Walgreen's raised the price a buck!! Now $6.99 for nine blades!! :x
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

BPman wrote:Damn Walgreen's raised the price a buck!! Now $6.99 for nine blades!! :x
But they've lowered the price of their "Studio 35" Israeli Personnas to $5.49 for ten! That's still more
than what I can get the same Israeli Personnas on a Kroger card for, $2.39, and the Kroger store is
closer than Walgreens!

If I want to use a "Gillette" DE blade, I have some Astra SS that I like, 50 for $6.00 online.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Rufust445 wrote:But they've lowered the price of their "Studio 35" Israeli Personnas to $5.49 for ten! That's still more
than what I can get the same Israeli Personnas on a Kroger card for, $2.39, and the Kroger store is
closer than Walgreens!
Same blade $12.00 for 100:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Red-Per ... _1268.html
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I stumbled across a 9 pack of these at our only K-Mart left in town. I paid $4.29 plus tax. I put one in my Above The Tie R1. It gave me a scary close shave with two weepers. I would classify this as a very sharp blade, and it reminds me of Gillette SharpEdge Yellow Pack in that respect. For shave number two, I am either going to use my ATT M1 Baseplate or my Rockwell 6s with the R3 Baseplate to tone down the aggression. My face feels very smooth, but I am finding that the ATT R1 is a picky razor that only works well for me with Polsilver SI's for two uses. I have many more blade brands to try in it, and it really identifies the characteristics of blades for me.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Well my second use with the Gillette Plats from Brazil left me unimpressed. I went with my Rockwell 6s with the R3 Baseplate which works well with Feathers. I thought that it would tone down the extreme sharpness that I experienced yesterday in the ATT R1 which it did. However, two passes left me with more stubble than I thought it would. I dunked the razor head in rubbing alcohol, and disassembled it to swap out the R3 for the R4 to amp up the blade gap to get me closer to where I need to be for tomorrow's shave. All in all, I am left with no desire to drive across town, and buy the remaining stock at $4.29 per 9 pack. K-Mart is about to go bankrupt, so it likely won't be around much longer. Some blades just don't work for every shaver. For example, Astra SP's get tons of love, but feel rather dull to me. YMMV.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Sorry to hear that Tucker as for me the Platinum Plus is simply a stellar blade & easily in my top 5. Just out of curiosity, what's your prep technique in detail?
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Today's shave with the Rockwell 6s (R4) was much better for my third use of the Brazilian Blade. I can see why it is well regarded. I was just stymied by the dark art of razor/ blade combination, and my Above The Tie R1 is a jealous mistress that only desires Polsilver SI's so far. I am going to keep the blade in the Rockwell for the fourth shave. I acquired the 9 pack for $4.29 plus tax, so they cost me about $0.51 per blade. Hopefully, I will get a good fourth shave out of it to make it reasonable at about $0.13 for each of the four shaves. I pay about $0.30 for Polsilver SI's, and only seem to get two good shaves out of those. Interestingly, I get three good shaves out of Feathers which make them a better value for me than the Polsilvers. If you have a spare $100 lying around, I highly recommend the Rockwell 6s, as it is really six razors in one.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

My experience with one of these blades was that the first shave was a bit harsh. After that, it smoothed out.

I have heard others describe this experience with other blades, but I never experienced it, myself, before this blade.

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Well I finally got around to revisiting the Gillette Platinum-Plus blade from Brazil. I used a fresh one in a 1960's Metal Tip Schick Krona. I had a delightful shave other than the TTO knob coming loose periodically. Earlier, I had tried this blade in modern razors. It appears that for me, this blade may excel in vintage razors. I'll have to try it in my 1970's plastic tip Krona, and a Gillette Slim Handle set on 4.
pausted

Post by pausted »

I find the Brazilian Gillette Platinum to be a fine blade in all my modern razors. I seldom use my Superspeed or Krona because I find them to be too mild. I can't get as good a shave with them as I do with my modern razors such as Merkur, Muhle, Standard, Maggard, and so on. For my face, the Gillette Platinum works just fine. YMMV.
Best regards,

Basil
BPman

Post by BPman »

Well, if you like these blades then grab 'em while you can because the HEB Plus store near me just sold all on closeout at $4.00 per pack and one Walgreens for approx. $3.50. They are now out and there will be no more.
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

BPman wrote:Well, if you like these blades then grab 'em while you can because the HEB Plus store near me just sold all on closeout at $4.00 per pack and one Walgreens for approx. $3.50. They are now out and there will be no more.
The Brazilian Plat Plus was kind of an over priced "Low Rent""Blade , for a Gillette it was somewhat
Of a failure in the Price Quality ratio...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Weekly!

- Murray