Beards and brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Beards and brushes

Post by Sam »

For those with beards, do you prefer a smaller knot and brush ? Thinking the razor rock 22mm synthetic brush might work better than the 25mm u now use. The 25 seems like overkill on the checks
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Beards and brushes

Post by M6Classic »

Beard? Yes. Smaller brush? Nope. I use a #24 Plisson which has a 32 mm caliber knot where it enters the handle. It is enormous.

Buzz
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Sam and Buzz.

I've had a beard for 44 years and I've been shaving the neck part for approximately 40. I find it way easier to work with a smaller brush. For me, a knot of 20 - 22mm and a fan-shaped loft are ideal.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Cheeks? I'm thinking 22 or 24. I have a 25mm and it really lathers the cheeks so much
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, I do very little shaping at the cheeks. I normally just re-wet the skin on the cheeks after my shower and shave it, without lather, with a Bic Metal disposable razor. The Bic Metal (apparently no longer made) has a very narrow head, which makes such shaping much easier. Lather would make it difficult to see what I'm doing.

In spite of my very sensitive skin, I have had no problems with skin irritation from following this practice.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ordered me the Razor Rock Distributor 22mm synthetic and a travel tub of Proraso soap for $19.49
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Beard, beard? Sam, have you strayed to the dark side? :shock: :mrgreen:
Bryan
JRicketts

Post by JRicketts »

As a full beard owner, very little shaping is done at cheeks. And it is always easy to work with a smaller brush with a small knot. Before that, just use a beard brush which reduces frizz and tangles thus making it easy to do the further things. A 22mm disposable razor will also work, just try to re-wet it and then do it without any lather. Makes it easy enough for you. I hope this helps.