Looking For The Old Timers

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Looking For The Old Timers

Post by mantic »

Hi Gents--

The tenth anniversary of my first wet shaving video on Youtube is coming up next month (!) and I would like to do some related articles on Sharpologist. I'm looking for the fellows who have been around for the past 10-15 years to do some compare/contrast of the "hobby" then vs. now. Things like remembering the few businesses that were around (like the original Classic Shaving with Ray Dupont), the old MSN Wetshavers forum, turning points in the community (Corey Greenburg on the Today show?), etc. Drop me a PM or email to discuss.

Mark
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Looking For The Old Timers

Post by M6Classic »

I didn't sign on until the autumn of 2006, so I am almost an old timer. I am fortunate to have been well stocked and well served throughout my wet shaving career from about 1970. Many venerable shops have closed over the past ten years, but my local source, Colonial Drug, has moved a few miles but remains its quirky and well-stocked self. I miss tallow based No. 89 from Floris, but about ten years ago I heard the footsteps and bought what seems to have been a lifetime supply of Trumper's sandlwood (though I m down to my final puck of tallow No. 89). I was also fortunate to purchase the last of my favorite brushes ever produce (Plisson #24 HMW in plexi) which history indicates will serve me well unto death..even if I live to 98. My advice to younger shavers is if you find a kit and supplies that work for you, stock up. In the mean time, experiment widely. Support your local shop...even at a higher cost than Amazon...because your local may be gone tomorrow. A final word...I truly miss Gordon's sage advice.

Buzz
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

I'll echo Buzz's missing Gordon's presence on the forum.

Regards,
Stan
brothers

Post by brothers »

A lively discussion requires more than one participant. In the last few days of Gordon's participation in early 2015 he posted several times, but due to the fact that a lot of regulars who previously interacted actively were already gone, there was little or no response to his final posts. Who goes into an empty room expecting to participate in a lively and informative discussion, point and counterpoint? Gordon was the heart and soul of both the Wet Shavers forum and SMF. Another one (there are many) whose character, humor, and wisdom defined the best of SMF was Michael (Bargepole). Yes, these and countless others are sorely missed. Whether or not they might decide to return to SMF, I sincerely hope many of the oldtimers will at least communicate directly with Mantic in response to his inquiry.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I too sorely miss Gordon and Bargepole. I wonder if they found other pursuits or other forums.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

One day I'll tell you the story of the evening that Ray Dupont phoned me to express his concern that a well known member of the wet-shaving community had done away with an appeals court judge active on the old Yahoo! SRP group, complete with a suggested motive. No kidding - he really did! Perhaps I'd better wait until I'm a bit more terminal before doing so!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

I think everyone wants to hear that story!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon and I, and Chris, know of a Donnie Cypwood who passed away maybe 7, 8 years ago. Used to be on the Wetshavers. Policeman from NYC, moved down to Florida, Orlando I think. Used to meet airplanes at laGuardia to get his shipment of Trumpers from England
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Sam wrote:<snip> Used to meet airplanes at laGuardia to get his shipment of Trumpers from England."
Yes, in the years of tallow soap and ivory handled C-IIIs, I was young and single and ready to fly to London (from Baltimore or Boston) at any moment when my supplies dwindled. I would stay at Dukes' Hotel and drink Vespers in the bar, and stroll down Jermyn Street to Trumper's and Floris. It was a great deal more effort than shopping on line, but it is glorious! Shopping on line has its advantages of cost and convenience and selection, but there is no substitute for drinking a Vesper at its point of origin.

Buzz
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

What in the world Is a Vesper?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Ouchmychin wrote:What in the world Is a Vesper?
HINT: It is shaken, not stirred.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A cocktail created by James Bond and named for his woman, Vesper. The drink is composed of gin, vodka and Lillet shaken over cracked ice (shaking makes it colder than stirring) and poured in a large glass with a thin slice of lemon at the bottom.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

What is Lillett?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote:What is Lillett?
Lillet, classed as an aromatised wine within EU law, is a French aperitif wine from Podensac, a small village south of Bordeaux. It is a blend of 85% Bordeaux region wines and 15% macerated liqueurs, mostly citrus liqueurs.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Ouchmychin wrote:What is Lillett?
If you wish to make a Vesper that resembles closely the original, substitute Cochi Americano (white, not red) for the Lillet. The Lillet on offer today is not at all like the version sold in the "olden days," the re-formulted Lillet has had the quinine eliminated and is no longer bitter. You should be able to get Cochi Americano, complete with its good dose of quinine, at any well stocked liquor store in a metropolitan area.

Buzz
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The Vesper is basically a double Martini with Lillet playing the part of Vermouth.
Regards,
Squire
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Should make for an interesting retrospective Mark. Please provide a link once you've finished.
Mike
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I too miss Gordon and Judge CArl. I learned much from both.

Chris