Worst scent ever

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Worst scent ever

Post by drmoss_ca »

I vote for Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, which smells exactly like Harpic. What was your most disgusting scent?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Ouchmychin

Re: Worst scent ever

Post by Ouchmychin »

Pinaud Clubman. In edts it's Joop.
Last edited by Ouchmychin on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

well not 'disgusting' per se, but jabon gal was just tooooo much for me :)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'd say Lilac Vegetal, but with a caveat: in the bottle it smells like a combination of Jay's Fluid and a urinal cake, but once on my skin for a few minutes it doesn't smell too bad. One scent I can't stand is Brut; in the bottle and on my skin it just turns me off.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

drmoss_ca wrote:I vote for Pinaud Lilac Vegetal . . . .
Me too.
Regards,
Squire
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I would vote for Caron Yatagan. Based on reviews I had high hopes. I tried but it was just vile on my skin. I've avoided the veg based on its uniformly bad reviews. There are too many nice scents to waste/money time on it.

This definitely makes the case for samples and testers over blind buys.
Rick
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Never allowed myself second whiffs of anything that initially offended my nose, so I can't even recall the worst scent ever for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

C & S Cuba. The fecal note made me run to wash this scent off.

Vile.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The worst scent ever for me was one that a woman at work wore. Maybe that's not exactly correct. I think it wore her. Not only was it vile, but I think she bought it by the 55 gallon drum. It wasn't at all difficult to tell when she was in the general locale from far away. I can only describe it as a sort of musk, and in general I like musk.

I've never smelled Lilac Vegetal, and I won't buy a bottle just to not use it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

There are more than one brands of Lilac Vegetal I happen to like the one by Master Well Comb, which is a barber supply house. It is not the Pinaud version.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

There was a woman at my former place of work whose new male friend insisted that she wear one - his favorite - each and every day, so she did. It stunk and the other women with whom she associated regularly had to tell her to quit wearing it to work because it was making them physically sick. I wasn't around her much, so I was oblivious as usual, thank goodness. On the subject of everybody's favorite stinker, Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud, a couple of years ago I went into an old brick and mortar store and spotted it on the shelf behind the counter. It was cheap and sealed to prevent any pre-purchase sniffing, so I bought it. Took it home, opened the seal, sniffed it, replaced the cap and threw it into the trash. It makes me very happy to throw away stuff that offends me. That was definitely one of the worst. Thank goodness I just sniffed it and didn't pour it into my hand and then apply it to my face!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

It sounds as if Lilac Vegetal maybe one of the few (only) scents that might actually benefit from a reformulation. How come it's still made at all? Quite amazing and very existential since most of what is sold probably gets decanted into the nearest drain from what I read on the forums. It's certainly a novel business model.
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

The shipping crew probably has a few standard jokes they use every time a new order for the LV comes in. The folks in the factory must be amazed that they have to keep making it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

Now mind you I haven't tried every scent on the planet but I just sampled 5 samples from PAA and they were all lousy. Sangre de dragon... smells like stale root beer....CAD..... nothing great at all... Gondolier..... smells like old ladies perfume..... Club guy would be okay in a soap.... and their Sandalwood was fair at best. Onto Ginger's Garden she's going to make me something custom and she thinks she can get close to what I really like which is Charles revson's braggi.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

talking about stale root beer, that is what Clubman Reserve smells like to me.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Pinauds Lilac Vegetal ,and the problem is their very very old reformulation.Pinaud was once made with essence of real lilac leaves and real animal civet.The switch to a synthetic lilac was bad enough , but the artificial civet is horrendous,it smells like coyote urine that festered for days.I like the Master Lilac ,even though it is also synthetic , it's smooth and enjoyable.In the 1960's shave product shelves were still full of many lilacs,but Pinauds was the same as it is today .Civet is still legal to use in most cases , but civetone is far less expensive ,and also "cruelty free".My guess is Pinaud switched to all synthetic during WW2 and never went back...
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Jovan Musk. I can't stand it!
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

My taste in scents has changed. I used to think Taylor's 74 was the worst, now I like it.
Currently, I would have to pick Tabac as the worst.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Jovan Musk Oil was the go-to babe magnet scent in the 70s. At least that was the marketing. Now I wouldn't touch it unless I were going to a 70s party and why would I ever want to do that?
As for worst scent, I'd have to go with Aqua Velva Musk. Gaggingly sickly sweet. They forgot to dilute it.
Ed
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Anything with the word "Axe" or "Body Spray".

Regards

Kaptain "Oh what a lovely scent you are wearing, must you marinate in it?" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.