Harrys Razor vs. Dollar shave club

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Harrys Razor vs. Dollar shave club

Post by Sam »

Since growing a beard the last 5 months, I have been using Gillette Good News pivoting dual=bladed disposable razors. Been doing good with those, they give me 7 to 10 shaves, about 3.5 weeks. I got a Harry's razor and one blade and their shave gel for $3.00 shipped and after two shaves, that 5-bladed razor is doing very well. Don't know if their blades last as long as the Gillette I am using, but it is sharper and closer and surprisingly, no irritation. Dont really like the gel, it is thicker than say Edge.

ANyone got comments on Harrys? And how do the Dollar Shave Club blades compare? They have a 2, 4 and 5 bladed option. Two would be like the Gillette and for $3.00 for them, I think you get 4, so that is a great value. Don't know how the 4 and 5 blade options stack up against each other.
BPman

Re: Harrys Razor vs. Dollar shave club

Post by BPman »

Dollar Shave Club are crappy Dorco blades from Korea & Harry's are made in Germany by the old Croma factory bought by two young American venture capitalists leveraged to the teeth. Neither can touch a Gillette blade from all I know who used one.

It's all smoke & mirrors based on funny TV commercials. All "sizzle" & no "steak". No thanks.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Well, I have had good experiences with Dorco DE blades, but I can't speak for their cartridge razors. I find it conceivable that Dorco could make good cartridge blades, too. As with many others, some like Dorco blades and some don't. The same would apply to Croma blades. I'm not sure what "two young American venture capitalists leveraged to the teeth" has to do with quality of product.

Sam, I haven't tried either of the products you referenced, so I can't offer any personal experience with them.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:...I'm not sure what "two young American venture capitalists leveraged to the teeth" has to do with quality of product...
A lot, such as no upgrading of eqpmt. in order to make the monthly payments.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman wrote:
CMur12 wrote:...I'm not sure what "two young American venture capitalists leveraged to the teeth" has to do with quality of product...
A lot, such as no upgrading of eqpmt. in order to make the monthly payments.
What upgrading was needed?

- Murray
preidy

Post by preidy »

Ya their cheaper and it's easier than going to the store but do you really need all those blades? IMV if I had to return to the cart days, I dig out my ole Trac II.
It still gives a darn good shave and you can buy the real Gillette carts (non-strip) on line for a decent price. Either way it's better than using those thrown away wonders. It give me the willies thinking about laying that GN plastic on my face.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I probably need to try the Trac II, I had a two bladed disposable, the Gillette Good News. Good shaves. But Harry's shaves better and I am on shave ten. I guess their claims that the flow through of the cartridge by water really extends the life has some merit??
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

How do you get Harry's razors? I never heard of them.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ouchmychin wrote:How do you get Harry's razors? I never heard of them.
website
www.harrys.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote:How do you get Harry's razors? I never heard of them.
Go to your friendly hometown Target. They're over in the shaving aisle, right next to the Fusion. Easy as pie. Cheap too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Go to your friendly hometown Target
:shock: :shock:

I really like the harry's handle. If i could find something similar (that doesnt cost $200 dollars #FUAoS) for a fusion blade I would be in my element

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My nirvana came from Gillette Guards. Great head and handle and I am getting as good shaves from a single blade razor with no strips as I got from either the Fusion or Hydro 5.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I would try the guards, but I need something a little more 'idiot' proof for when i shave my head. On the subject of handles, the feather is a really decent one too, but again, the cartridges for them are not that great (get clogged very,very easily/fast)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I shave my head regularly with the Guard. Gave one to my son yesterday and told him it was fool proof. He came out this morning with a piece of toilet paper stuck to his face. It seems they will still shave the head off of a pimple.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

I tried Harry’s blades & gel several times. I found that the gel was drying and irritated my face. So I stopped the gel and returned to Nivea for sensitive skin. As far as the blade and handle I loved the handle and found the blades very sharp but not long lasting. Eventually I stopped using Harry’s because my face seemed to flare with extended use.
Regards,
Tom