I did it ---

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

I did it ---

Post by brothers »

8 days traveling with my wife, I don't take brush, soap, or a DE. I use Noxzema Original Cream and Noxzema disposable twin Kai blade (Dollar Tree). Outstanding results. Close and smooth, only one application of cream, maybe a splash of water for renewed slickness during the extended single pass shave. I've got my technique down to the point that this shave is equal to the close and smooth results when using a brush and soap and 3 passes, not to mention my best DE razor/blade combo. --- This morning I went with the brush/soap combo but wanted to use the disposable razor again to see how it cuts. --- Cleaning up afterward, rinsed out the brush and realized I had only lathered once (completely forgot to re-lather with the brush as I transition between passes) --- I was amazed at the identical results. ---

In summary: my daily shave is excellent in terms of smooth and close shave. There's no difference. Except the obvious reduction in effort expended with preparation/shaving/cleanup. I've spent almost as much time and effort identifying the best disposable razor/blade/brushless cream combination as I spent identifying the best DE razor/blade/brush/soap. Time spent developing the technique pays off in spades with both of the above combinations. If this is Everest, I suppose I've arrived at the summit and returned back home without even realizing when I had reached my objective.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: I did it ---

Post by CMur12 »

Good to know, Gary. Thanks for the report.

I don't always feel like making lather, so I might give Noxzema a try one of these days. Has it worked well for you with a DE also?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, yes. The Noxzema always does a good job for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

On days when I don't feel like shaving, I employ a radical solution. I don't.

It doesn't happen often, but it means an extra close and enjoyable shave when I gather my wits and return to the sink.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

So Gary -- just to be sure I understand this -- are you talking about the original Noxzema skin cream? Or is there a separate shaving product? The original Noxzema skin cream (as I remember it) was pretty thick stuff, so I would imagine it clogging up the razor quickly. Please help me understand.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

drmoss_ca wrote:On days when I don't feel like shaving, I employ a radical solution. I don't.

It doesn't happen often, but it means an extra close and enjoyable shave when I gather my wits and return to the sink.

C.
I agree. We went to Italy last year for two weeks and I packed my full kit, which included a Feather AC (my attempt at simplifying) and took up two Sandstone Dopp bags. I didn't shave everyday... but when I did I had either a view of the rolling hills of Tuscany from a small town farm villa, whilst hearing the morning doves and local rooster. Or, the bells from the Duomo in Florence... man what an experience.

Can't imagine the same feelings with anything else.

On the downside, I couldn't critisize my wife for all the shoes she brought... and bought...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

slackskin wrote:So Gary -- just to be sure I understand this -- are you talking about the original Noxzema skin cream? Or is there a separate shaving product? The original Noxzema skin cream (as I remember it) was pretty thick stuff, so I would imagine it clogging up the razor quickly. Please help me understand.
It's the Original, to be sure. No clogging, at least not any more than a lather. On top of that, it is quite water soluble when I hold the razor under running tap water. Non-greasy whatsoever. It's thick in the jar, but it has a peculiar characteristic --- it changes to a soft cream once it's removed from the jar and rubbed into the whiskers. I'm quite fond of it, as you can tell.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I thought the original had been discontinued and replaced with a similar but different product. My problem with multiple passes and no reapplication of lather is drying out. I have to wet my face or smear lather from my goatee to shave without the blade stumbling. I remember using the old Noxzema on chaffed skin and such when I was a kid and my mom had a jar. We are talking about the 30's or 40's. I use a brushless product made by Kiss My Face about once a week when I am lazy. When I run out I'll try Noxzema.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, I also read something a couple of years ago that caused me to think the original was replaced. Panicking, I located what I thought was the old stuff online (Target) and bought 8 tubs at $4 each (a very good price). :) They are identical to the old stuff, and are the exact same thing that is now on the shelves at thousands of drug stores, grocery stores, Walmart, Target, you name it. It's still the same as far as I'm concerned. Here's what the label says: CLASSIC CLEAN Original Deep Cleansing Cream. They did upgrade the plastic bin to use less plastic, thereby appearing to be more "green" than before.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I know my mom's jar was blue glass. I am going to google it and see if there is a history.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Thanks, Gary, for your response above. I will find the original cream.
pausted

Post by pausted »

For those of you who may not want to use Noxzema as a shaving cream, I can point out that it makes a terrific pre shave cream. Rub a LIGHT coat over your beard and then lather right over the top of it. I believe it adds another layer of protection and helps to provide a smooth, comfortable shave. And no, it won't gunk up your brush. :)
Best regards,

Basil
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

pausted wrote:For those of you who may not want to use Noxzema as a shaving cream, I can point out that it makes a terrific pre shave cream. Rub a LIGHT coat over your beard and then lather right over the top of it. I believe it adds another layer of protection and helps to provide a smooth, comfortable shave. And no, it won't gunk up your brush. :)
Proraso makes a pre and post shave cream which to me is identical in smell, consistency, and colour, as the Noxzema cream I remember from the old blue jars.
I have tried the Noxzema previously and it does the same job as the Proraso cream.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I looked up the history of Noxzema and found two answers: Wilkepedia had a small history the opening pagagraph I will paste here:
Noxzema (/nɒkˈsiːmə/ nok-see-mə)[1] is a brand of skin cleanser marketed by Unilever. Since 1914, it has been sold in a small cobalt blue jar. Noxzema contains camphor, menthol, phenol and eucalyptus, among other ingredients. Originally developed as a sunburn remedy, it is frequently used as a facial cleanser and make-up remover. It can also be used for cleaning chapped, sunburned, or otherwise irritated skin. Since the introduction of Noxzema, the brand name has appeared on shaving cream, razors, and skin-cleansing cloths.

The complete history is a twisted tale of corporate buyouts. The bottom line is that the current products (there are three) are not the original formula. That is not surprising because phenol (carbolic acid) has since been found to be a carcinogen. The closest is the "Classic Clean" version. The one that is mildest is the "Moisturizing" formula. The jars are different colors. Blue for Classic Clean and violet for the Moisturizing. I don't think eucalyptus oil is in any of them, but is was in my mom's old jar (probably the original). Noxzema was originally pronounced "no-exzema" in reference to one of its original uses. It went down the tubes when Proctor and Gamble bought it for a very high price and tried to boost sales with TV ads promoting its use by teenage girls to clear zits and acne. All the older users quit it and so did the teenage girls when the grew beyond that stage. The new formulas were brought out by the latest owner (Unilever I think). So much for history.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, I find that very interesting, considering how well I like it for shaving. I have also been told that it's good for when someone has had too much sun.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks a ton for the histroy Pete....much obliged

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum