What's cooking?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Re: What's cooking?

Post by ShadowsDad »

My next cooking project will take more than 2 weeks to complete.

A neighbor had 3 pigs slaughtered and was asked if he wanted the fat back (aka back fat since that's where it is on the animal). He was going to pass on it when his wife told him to take it. Smart move; seriously. It can't be purchased since modern raised pigs are too lean to have any. It's a gourmet item when used correctly, which is sparingly. So the other day he called me saying that he didn't know what to do with it and did I want it? Absolutely. So he drove it over to give me a sack of the slab fat. He had another that he said he was going to use for coyote bait. I suggested that it was to valuable for that and to give that to me also and I'd cure it for him.

So at this time I have an 8 gallon food grade bucket loaded with fat back and salt. I buy the food processing salt at the local farm supply for under $10 for 50#. In 2 weeks it'll be fully cured. Then while discussing this with the gent who put the sack of salt into the car, he told me how he had his fat back cold smoked and how it was like adding bacon flavor to everything he cooks. I like that idea. So I'll cold smoke some of it after curing it.

To learn more about this product google salted fat back and pay attention to the hits that mention Italian lardo. Lardo isn't smoked but is used cured only. Note that it is not salt pork. They come from different parts of the pig and back fat is of a much higher quality. It's considered a hard fat and not soft fat.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have boneless short ribs marinating for the next 2-3 days in a mixture of hot hungarian paprika, gran' garlic, Vege-sal, and lotsa Worcestershire sauce. The plan is to BBQ them (southern BBQ; not grilling) for a few hours with cherry smoke. It's been years since I made any shirt ribs. These looked fantastically meaty. I probably should have purchased 20 more pounds of them for burger if nothing else.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ughhhhh...fedex leftovers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8-[ 8-[ 8-[ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If I remember to take one, will a picture do?
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i suppose :( :lol:
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I had to cook them this afternoon.

fallingwickets, I'll tell you what I told my wife after I tested a few slices. You wouldn't like it. Plus it'll stunt your growth. So I'll sacrifice and just dispose of these. Are you buying this?
Brian

Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

ShadowsDad wrote:I had to cook them this afternoon.

I had an incredible sushi dinner tonight.... now I'm hungry again.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm hungry again.
ditto.

Its official: Brian, I hate you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks so good Brian!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's too warm during the summer to bake bread but it was OK today. I missed fresh bread and today I made 3 loaves of the No-Knead bread in loaf form. 2 will go into the freezer.

Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

looks delicious....are you watching great british bake off??
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I do when it's airing. I believe they're between contests right now.

I'm as spellbound watching that show as when I watch Hell's Kitchen. I'm just in awe of what some of those folks produce.

But the bread shown? ANYONE can make it. Seriously, anyone. Here's the recipe: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53953
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

The wife and daughter always watch that baking show when it's on, and they always invite me. There's something quite compelling about it, isn't there!
(Regarding Hell's kitchen, I can't stand to watch Gordon Ramsey. He has a thoroughly repulsive personality as far as I'm concerned.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

In honour of Trafalgar Day yesterday I made a nautical dish. Par boil potatoes and fry onions. Combine and season with salt, pepper and garlic. Place half in the bottom of a lightly oiled oven dish, and on top of them place some skinned and de-boned smoked mackerel. Put the rest of the potato and onions on top of the fish, pour on a small (237ml) container of double cream or unwhipped whipping cream. Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins at 375ºF, then uncover and continue for 20 mins until browned on top. Serve with vegetables of choice.

What to call it? It's a sort of smoked mackerel lobscouse, I suppose.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

"Smoked mackerel", a delicacy not to be found out on the bald faced prairies of Canada... but a staple food from where I grew up in Norway (both cold and hot smoked).

Dr. Moss, I'm jealous!

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've never even seen smoked mackerel, but the dish sounds good.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Mmmmm.... cold smoked mackerel was my favourite.. sliced on a sandwich no less..... each slice almost transparent from the oil in the fish... it would drip if you were not careful.....

Hot smoked (fish is actually cooked) was preferred by some.... By me, only when there wasn't cold smoked stuff around.

I cannot recall any dishes my auntie would have made with mackerel... it was a breakfast type food with bread. Now, salted herring on the other hand... that was supper food!

Once in a while, it was red meat..... Whale meat that is.... stewed with root vegetables and juices thickened with butter and flour. Pork, beef, fowl were pretty rare occasions, but they were special occasions and when we had one, it was a feast!

An occasional Sunday would be met with flour porridge... Just melt lots of butter, mix in white flour.... slowly stir in fresh full fat dairy milk until it came together as a porridge. Served sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon and pats of butter we kids call butter eyes..... It sure stuck to your ribs.... I still have it stuck to mine 50 years later.

I could go on.... at the risk of my arteries clogging, just at the thought.....

Regards

Christain
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

kaptain_zero wrote:Mmmmm....Now, salted herring on the other hand... that was supper food!

Christain
Have you tried Digby Chicks? Delicious anytime of day. :mrgreen:
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Chris', where was that?
Brian

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Ugh... at least my fingers didn't spell my name as Christina.....

I used to live in Drøbak, Norway.... about 35Km south of Oslo, right on the Oslo fjord.

For those wishing to poke around, the internet is an excellent source... I give you "A taste of Drøbak": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1g8pHonkU

Regards

Christian (Hah.... I even spelled it right this time)