What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
pausted

Re: What's for supper?

Post by pausted »

The weather here is beautiful. I'm sorry for the storm you all north and east of me are experiencing. Please be safe.

Tonight I grilled some chicken drumsticks and finished them in the oven after drenching them in Louisiana Wing Sauce. We added a kale salad and baked acorn squash. A great meal!
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday evening we grilled some chicken breasts (smoked with hickory and mesquite) and my wife made a big bowl of chicken salad. We like it in sandwiches with toast, lettuce and tomatoes. No recipe, this is something she's been making for years and never took time to write it down. (Our kids/spouses have written it down, of course so they can make it too.) Anyway this is the good old stuff with chicken, mayonnaise, chopped dill pickle chips, and few other things. Some restaurants have offered chicken salad in the past, and in some cases it used to be very good, I am told. But now, it seems all of the commercial "chicken" salads have become Frankenstein mixtures of chunks of fruit and other nasty stuff. Too bad. Not bad for us and our family though, thanks to my wife.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Sounds good Gary. Yup, chicken salad is a simple and tasty affair. Fruit in chicken salad? Really? Ycch! Not CS that goes between bread thank you!

I made something supposedly from your neck of the woods the other night. ATK calls the recipe "Oklahoma Burgers". It's a burger with raw onions pressed into the burger itself, on one side only. The burger is cooked for about 6 minutes over medium heat which carmelizes some of the onions leaving some much less cooked. The burger is then flipped and cooked on high for 2 minutes. The cheese is put on the bun, the burger put on the cheese to melt it. It was good and different; I'd make them again.

BTW, the onions get "dewatered" by putting salt on them and allowing them to stand for 30 minutes then they get wrung out in a towel to remove more water.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
pausted

Post by pausted »

Saw this recipe on Facebook. We fixed it last night. Very, very good! And very, very easy!

Melt a stick of butter in a baking dish in 350 degree oven. Slice one lemon (thin) and place slices on the melted butter. Cover lemon with peeled and deveined shrimp (I used about a pound and a half of large shrimp). Sprinkle one envelope of Italian salad dressing mix over the shrimp. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Stir well and serve.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Not supper, but lunch yesterday was a spontaneous and enjoyable journey into my refrigerator. There was a third of a bag of fresh spinach leaves, dill pickle slices, jalapeno slices, a large tomato, and about half of a large white fresh onion. I chopped all of the above (a bit less or more than a cup of each) added some grape seed oil for dressing, tabasco sauce, black pepper, and cilantro flakes. Tossed it thoroughly and it tasted great! A bit like italian salad dressing, thanks to the vinegar from the pickles and the spices. Healthy and filling.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Cod was on special yesterday so I bought some and had shallow oil fried cod last night with a large (and simple) green salad. I was going to have fries and onion rings, but decided to back off on the fat and calories. A little gran' garlic and garlic salt & pep' was all it took to season it. I had some tartar sauce but decided it would just ruin the fish. I'm trying to back off of the prilosec and fats give me heartburn and acid reflux.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

We had a buy one get one free special on those marinated Hormel pork tenderloins. Got the mesquite bbq one. Did it on the Charcoal grill with brussell sprouts roasted in onion, bacon bits and balaamic vinegar. Also put on a chicken/feta/spinach sausage I picked up at Sprouts. Love those things for appetizers. Oh, and Becks beer. That stuff is pretty good, I may be wrong, but is that the Budweiser of Germany, except a bit better tasting?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't know about Becks, but I was stationed there for 2 1/2 years and each region/town has it own "favorite" brewery. Where I was stationed it was Mainzer Aktein (sp?). At that time in Mainz ('70-'73), the home base of Mainzer Aktein, across from the bahnhof (train station) was the Bier Tunnel, where they "imported" beer from Munich. I'd go there often just to get something different. It got so bad with the excellent everyday beer that I would comment, "Here I am drinking yet another absolutely fantastic pilsner, and I'm bored.". Hence my trips to the Bier Tunnel.

BTW, drinking cold beer is laughed at in Germany. Wine cellar temp' was OK. But not cold? Never cold. German beer has flavor and cold just kills that. Same thing goes for English beers and ales. But American beer should be served cold to hide the lack of taste. That's why the Germans thought it humorous. BTW, American beer has gotten much better with craft breweries and such in the past 40+ years and those beers can be served cool or room temp' and are best there.

Alas, even though I love beer and used to brew my own, I can no longer drink it. I think it's the hops that shuts off my waterworks. It sux to get old. My Dr. tells me that I have an atypical prostate. I can drink alcohol, just not beer. As I write I'm having a pre dinner scotch and water. Geez, I miss my beer! Yet another fantastic scotch and I'm bored. I used to make some fantastic top fermented beers! I loved to sit out on the deck and do some deep contemplation on everything while having stein after stein of my homemade ale. It's amazing how deeply one can think after a few steins of 12% English Amber or Big Shoulders Porter. :-) At least the Q was of quality if not the deep thoughts. :-) But it was enjoyable while it lasted.
Brian

pausted

Post by pausted »

Last night we were joined for dinner by my nephew, his wife and daughter. We enjoyed a casserole called Mexican Lasagna. Along with a green salad and a glass of wine, a very enjoyable meal. Here's the recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9x13 baking pan.

1 ½ pounds ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and ground cumin to taste

Brown ground beef and onion. Add spices and set aside.

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can of milk
1 can Rotel tomatos undrained
1 can Ranch Style beans undrained
10 corn tortillas cut into 6 wedges
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix the soup, milk, tomatos and beans.

Layer the pan as follows:

½ of the meat and onion mixture
½ of the tortillas
½ of the soup/tomato/bean sauce
½ of the cheese

Repeat the layers in the same order ending with the cheese.

Tent with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese begins to brown and the dish is bubbly. Remove and let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight's family supper was great! I made a Mississippi pot roast for the main course, I don't know why it's called Mississippi, but wow it was good. Seared a large roast on both sides, salted and peppered, and placed it in the bottom of the big crock pot. Added 1 envelope of the Ranch dressing/dip mix and 1 envelope of the onion soup mix from the grocery store, plus 1 stick of butter and 8 pepperoncini peppers, sliced. Cooked one hour on high and 8 hours of low, then took 2 forks and shredded the super tender roast. Absolutely no liquid added because the roast makes its own juice in just the perfect amount. Served it with a bowl of mashed potatoes and a bowl of baked broccoli. Delicious, and it served 8 really hungry adults and kids. Enjoyed it with a nice glass of red Italian wine and followed up with homemade pumpkin pie and coffee. This was the first time I've made this roast. Definitely going to do it again!
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting recipes.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

That's what caught my eye when I first saw it Brian. Ultra simple recipe. I realize the ingredient list is probably not going to win any culinary or nutritional awards! But I can tell you there was nothing left over after dinner. :lol:
Last edited by brothers on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary, curious to know what cut of meat you used.....thanks.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive it was a chuck roast, 2.74 pounds.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Chuck might make for a terrible steak (if one doesn't get the eye, otherwise it's hard to beat) but for other slow cook (as here) or ground uses it's excellent. I either grind brisket defatted as much as possible, or chuck in it's entirety for near 80% lean/fat burger. To me that ratio, or a bit leaner, is ideal. But it depends on it's use. But used correctly chuck is really good. IMO, it makes the very best pulled beef and nothing else is even close, not even brisket.

We've been known to buy chuck and I pull out the eye for separate handling, the rest goes into burger. FWIW, the french consider the eye of the chuck to be the very best cut of the cow. It's tender, affordable, and has fantastic flavor. I agree and I'm not of French ancestry. :-) I've loved the eye of chuck since I was in my teens. I don't agree with the way it's cut here in the USA and that's why I do it myself to correct the error. I keep the saved $ in my pocket.
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ok thanks for the info. Im going to give it a whirl.

Ive been buying flat iron and denver steaks since i 'discovered' them about a year ago....both off the chuck, both tastier than any steak ive eaten and personally preferable to ribeye and or strip. cheaper too!!!!!!!!! =D> :lol:

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the mysterious ways of the day unfolding:

went to the market this morning to buy ingredients to try out gary's mississippi recipe and came here to share how i unfortunately ate all the pepperoni on the way home and will have to back go get more. Luckily enough for me, on rereading gary's post, I see that my eyes saw pepperoncini but my brain/stomach rejoiced with pepperoni #-o #-o :oops:

On the plus side, i got to enjoy some pepperoni which i haven't done in a really long time. thanks gary!!!!!!

clive
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Too funny!
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

5 thumbs up for gary's mississippi recipe....very easy to make and tasty too. All i did differently was the low cook of 7 hours instead of gary's 8. What happened is i started too late in the morning and didnt feel like a late dinner. It broke apart with a fork effortlessly regardless.

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

I made my second Mississippi pot roast yesterday, and it was as easy and as good-tasting as the first. I don't want to overdo it, so I'll probably wait until they start twisting my arm and asking when we're going to have that roast again. This time we served it with some fresh-baked rolls so the family could make sliders.
Gary