Question for you old farts and retirees?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
ThePossum

Question for you old farts and retirees?

Post by ThePossum »

I officially retired and sold my insurance agency business on Jan 1, 2016. I have been semi-retired for the last 3 years but now I'm outta there. No more work period. While I was working I usually shaved each day unless I was in one of my beard stages. The beard did get a trim once or so a week.

So now I do not have to shave every day cause I'm retired. Never really loved to shave, too much bother it seemed but it was necessary. So my question is do you guys who are old farts, retired, etc who don't have to look "handsome" for the crowd anymore still shave everyday? If so why and if not how often do you shave and why? Me I'm doing about 3 times a week and most of the time only one pass.

Thanks guys for your input. And by the way, for Squire, do you still shave twice per day? :D
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
pausted

Re: Question for you old farts and retirees?

Post by pausted »

Bryce, I retired on Jan 5, 2015 and still shave every day. I just don't like the feel of long stubble on my face. Also, I guess, its a carry over from many years of daily shaving. Habits die hard. :)
Best regards,

Basil
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I shaved every other day while working.Been retired 14 years and still shave every other day.With the fantastic ,high quality shave goods available today it's just too much pleasure to give up ,I enjoy a good shave.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am semi-retired, but my shaving routine is unchanged from my days as a full-time employee. I don't shave each and every day -- probably 2 or 3 times weekly.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At least once everyday.
Regards,
Squire
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have continued to shave every morning since retiring 6 years ago. I enjoy it.
_______
John
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

both head and face everyday!!!!
Mike
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

When I was working, used cheap disposables, and tried to squeeze shaving in to a busy schedule any time I could

Since retirement I've had time to polish my DE skills and get closer shaves that last longer.

Can't stand the way my beard gets beyond 48 hours, so I wind up shaving about five times a week.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations on the retirement, Bryce!

I never shaved every day because my skin didn't tolerate it and the job didn't require it. My pattern has been to shave Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights during my last years at work and since retirement near the end of 2013. I can vary the pattern if needed for a special occasion. I can also vary the pattern if it isn't convenient to me at the moment.

Note: I have some polo shirts whose collars are more susceptible to "whisker fray," so I tend to wear them the day immediately following a shave.

Figure out what you need to shave for and then determine a new shaving pattern for retirement. You're free to do that now. :)

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have slacked off on the # of times per week that I shave. We live rurally and I just don't have the time that I once had to shave, considering everything that I need to do. I still enjoy shaving every bit as much as I did when I first began shaving with a blade though. But when we go into town or have folks over I'm always freshly shaved.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have been retired for 23 years and mostly shave every day. Since I joined this club it has become an obsession to get the perfect shave; brush; blade; soap; etc. I even bought a past members cabinet full of colognes, edts, and aftershaves because they were the exclusive brands I only heard about in these forums. Cost a lot but nowhere near the $90 per oz. that the 3/4 full bottle of Knize 10 that was included. So I have to smell like a male whore just to show off.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I've been retired for 10 years and I still shave every day come hell or high water. I don't like the feel or look of stubble on my face or anyone's face for that matter. It was ingrained in me by my father and other important people in my life that not shaving is a sign of sloth.
Bryan
poppi

Post by poppi »

Yes, I am retired from my former employment but within the last year or so, I've become the head pastor for my church. So I shave everyday cuz I think the position I have been blessed with requires it. Besides, I like a good shave. Great way to start the day I think.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Someone very dear to me asked me to come over this morning. When she called, I told her I was in the middle of shaving. Afterward, as we were visiting, she said you seem to be shaving often. I said, yes, every morning. The whiskers keep growing back every day! Then we had a discussion of some fellows we know who seem to go with the bewhiskered look after a certain age. My position is that I like to appear well-groomed, and I enjoy and look forward to my daily shave because it makes me feel good about my appearance.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I might point out that one can have a beard and be well groomed too. I offer myself as an example thereof. 8)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:I might point out that one can have a beard and be well groomed too. I offer myself as an example thereof. 8)

- Murray
Murray, :wink: my point exactly. Lookin' good, I'm certain!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

You old folks must live back east. When I first looked at todays posts it was about 5:45 here on the west coast. Almost time to crawl back to bed for me. I have some health issues that get me up early most days and then its time for a quick look online while my pill takes effect.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Ouchmychin wrote:You old folks must live back east. When I first looked at todays posts it was about 5:45 here on the west coast. Almost time to crawl back to bed for me. I have some health issues that get me up early most days and then its time for a quick look online while my pill takes effect.
Nope, Pete, I'm in the Far West (Washington State).

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have a wife. Doesn't matter about retirement: she requires me to be shaved.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

drmoss_ca wrote:I have a wife. Doesn't matter about retirement: she requires me to be shaved.

C.
The boss you can't retire from.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain