PAA Prismatic DE Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

PAA Prismatic DE Razor

Post by BPman »

CMur12

Re: PAA Prismatic DE Razor

Post by CMur12 »

That's a neat-looking razor and the price is very good. With "medium aggression" it probably suits most wetshavers, but it would likely be too aggressive for me. If I didn't have so much shaving equipment already, I might be tempted to try it anyway.

When I first came here, some ten years ago, the only new DE razors available for reasonable prices were made by Merkur and Weishi; hence, the market in vintage Gillette, Schick, Wilkinson Sword, and such razors. Since then, there has arisen such a market in new DE razors, from the humblest to the the finest custom instruments, that the demand for vintage razors - other than those in collectable condition - has dried up. Though I'm saddened to see the general lack of interest now in vintage tools, I'm heartened to see all of these new razors coming to market.

Thanks for letting us know about this one, BPman.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Murray, I do almost all my shaving with some form of Gillette Tech or a Schick Krona DE razor as for me they are just perfect. :wink: On a whim, I did however order this new PAA razor as it intrigues me and I really like that PAA is cutting their own path and not merely copying the Merkur/EJ DE89 head like most other modern makers.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

If it works for you, it should work for me! I look forward to reading your impressions of this new razor.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Received my Prismatic in the mail today. So beautiful. Looking forward to using it tomorrow morning.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Looking forward to your impressions then, also, Gary!

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

The razor being reviewed:

https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com ... kel-plated

I received mine rapidly from the co. just in time for an AM shave. First, it is well made and I saw no blatant flaws and the nickel finish is good. It is a curious lil' bugger, for sure. I loaded up a new Astra SP as I do for all 1st shaves with a new razor to be objective as it's the closest thing there is to a "benchmark" blade IMO. After a shower I used Mike's Soaps shave soap and went at it.

Let me state off the bat that never have I used a DE razor with such audible feedback. Remember as well that I don't have good hearing to boot. The first few strokes were simply marvelous as was the rest of the shave. Since everyone wants an aggression comparison I will offer my opinion, but remember this is based on just one shave with two days beard growth. I would rate it right at a Canadian pre-war Tech or Schick Krona with more blade "feel", for lack of a better term. In some manner it actually felt a hair more aggressive. Again, I need more shaves with this to solidify everything.

IMO, it is worth the money as it shaves wonderfully plus the fact that the blade "feel" is very different, obviously due to the different design. If you like a medium aggressive shave with incredible tactile feedback this DE is for you. As well, if you want something different than the myriad of Merkur/EJ DE89 clones buy one. YMMV.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/I3rd2iL.jpg)

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/Hy2bEUn.jpg)

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/N9mSI8W.jpg)
Last edited by BPman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

For the first shave with the Prismatic this morning I loaded a new Personna hospital use blade (my personal favorite DE blade). As is my habit nowadays, I only make one pass, and that pass is only against the grain (ATG). I had no idea what to expect. The result was a close smooth shave with no nicks or otherwise.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thank you for the reviews, gentlemen. Now I need to start thinking about getting one of these for myself!

- Murray
styptic screams

Post by styptic screams »

Nice reviews!

I'm going to budget one out of next month's dole.
The novelty factor on this one is high... 8)

It's priced right and it's the first DE that's caught my eye in years! :shock:
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I bought one of the 'DLC' razors a few months ago and it is excellent - well made, well finished and good value for money IMO. The originals come up for sale now and then but the ones I've seen don't look as nice as the homage in pearl finish which seems to avoid the blemishes that seem to be common on the old ones. Now they have released a Kirby beard homage - that's great - these are very hard to find in any condition and good ones are quite rare! I happen own a "real" (plated brass) Kirby Beard and it is a distinctive and very good shave. It's tempting to buy one of these homages to compare but I'll probably resist since I have too many razors already. Neverthless good on Pheonix for doing this, I look forward to seeing what comes next - a Red Ring, a Valencia, a Darwin... who knows. I'm sure that I won't be able to resist!
Rick
BPman

Post by BPman »

I have now used it three times, the 2nd with a Gillette Goal Super Platinum & the 3rd with a Brazilian Gillette Platinum Plus blades. This is a wonderful medium-aggressive DE razor and if you like the Krona & the Tech then you will love this. :wink:

Here's a fella's great review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CFjCWcJTd0
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I watched the review - Thanks! This razor is sounding a little more aggressive than I might like. The reviewer said it was a little more aggressive than the double open comb, which I found too aggressive for me when Gary graciously lent me his.

I consider the Krona mild-to-medium and I consider the post-War US Tech very mild. (Is this the Tech you refer to, BPman?)

In the case of the Razorock razors, I found the Quick-Change TTO to be very mild and moderately effective, while I found the Teck II somewhat harsh, leaving me with raw spots and weepers that I don't normally get. I wonder how the Prismatic razor compares to these (?).

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I had my first go with the PAA Prismatic tonight. I used a Crown King Unscented Soap Sample that I purchased along with the razor, and a Stirling Soap Boar Brush. I loaded my favorite blade, a Polsilver SI, into the razor. The razor has decent QC, and the blade gap seemed fairly even, and didn't require too much finessing. I really like the handle which is on the short side. The shave went well, and I would describe the razor as moderately aggressive, and more so than the Razorock Teck II. It was very efficient, and removed the stubble with aplomb. The head from a side view looks a lot like a Gillette Old Type, as far as the degree of blade curvature. There does seem to be quite a bit of blade exposure, but the razor is not overly aggressive. I would give it a 5 or a 6 on a 1-9 Gillette Slim Handle scale. This looks like a good replica, and I enjoy the historical aspect.
BPman

Post by BPman »

It is more aggressive than the DOC. Pass on it, Murray.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman wrote:It is more aggressive than the DOC. Pass on it, Murray.
Thanks, BPman.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the Prismatic every day since I got it. For today's shave I changed the handle from the lightweight 36g hollow original to a custom BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe 84g handle. Obviously more substantial feel. I think I'll leave it this way.

I have an observation regarding the comparison of the Prismatic to the DOC. The DOC leaves the face feeling a little bit raw. Not the case with the Prismatic. This is not to say one is more or less aggressive than the other, only that the designs are different. The blade exposure of the Prismatic is pretty startling to look at, but the placement of the open safety bar does limit the severity of skin/blade contact. Prismatic does require development of a different technique. I was surprised to read the comparison to a Krona or Tech. My recently favored razors have been the Darwin Deluxe and the Rocket HD, and I feel that the Prismatic gives me a positively comparable result with a very slight reduction in aggression, but I don't consider it mild.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the benefit of your experience too, Gary.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Gary, something I noticed about this razor is to be very sure that the blade is locked EXACTLY into position correctly when tightening. I do this now by checking the protrusion on either side of the tabs to be sure they are equal. It makes the shave milder & smoother.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the heads-up!
Gary