First razor for young son?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
wrm2012

First razor for young son?

Post by wrm2012 »

My son will start shaving soon. He already has the peach fuzz stash. What would be a good razor to start him on? I don't really want him useing any of mine so was thinking about getting him his own along with a brush and soap.
Thanks, Bill
CMur12

Re: First razor for young son?

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Bill -

I think a very mild razor, such as a Weishi (new) or a Gillette Tech (vintage) would be perfect. An advantage of such mild razors is that the blade gap is very narrow, such that the razor either cuts or it doesn't. When you start opening up the blade gap, even with moderate razors, scraping of the skin happens when the blade angle isn't just right. The scraping, or course, causes irritation while producing a very ineffective cut.

As far as blades go, I think the Dorco ST300 (in the blue pack) is a mild, forgiving blade, perfect for a new shaver with a very light beard.

When I was starting out, I used these razors and Dorco ST300 blades, even though I don't have a light beard, because of my very sensitive skin. With more experience, I have migrated to razors slightly less mild (but still mild) and much sharper blades.

I think one of these razors and this blade would be the safest, most effective combination for your son. In my own case, most of the popular razors in current production are too aggressive for my skin, including the Edwin Jaggers/Muehles (considered mild by many, but not by me), and in my assessment they would be too aggressive for your son, too.

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I would echo what Murray said in that a very mild razor would be best. A Dorco PL602 is an excellent low cost option that would not require a large investment if he didn't take to it. They are available on Amazon and Ebay. I also like the Fatip Gentile which is more moderately priced. If the double edge it too awkward, a Bic Sensitive single edge disposable would do well coupled with a good cream and brush.
wrm2012

Post by wrm2012 »

Yeah I was thinking a mild razor is what he needs. I’m not a good judge of mildness for a razor. I use a Merkur Slant and am an older man with a old man tough face. So all suggestions are welcome. Searching the forums looks like the Feather Popular is a nice and mild razor also. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.
Thanks, Bill
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Bill, keep in mind that blades make a difference too.

The blades I like now I didn't like starting out. In the case of your son, being new to wetshaving, having a light beard, and having young, sensitive skin, a mild blade is in order. Crystals and Red Pack Personnas would also be good, but the Dorco ST300 is a blade taylor made for these circumstances. I have even used the ST300 to tame more aggressive razors. The main shortcoming of the Dorco ST300 is its limited ability to attack a heavy or coarse beard.

- Murray
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

While I have succumbed to the siren song of the straight razor after owning hoards of different DE razors, the only DE razor that remains in use here, is the Merkur 34c HD. It's an excellent all around razor, though it *may* be a tad heavy for a first razor. A Merkur 33c or 1904 would make an excellent choice, last for a lifetime, and would be a great first razor for any young gent to start.

When it comes to a young gent starting out, nothing is more important than guidance!

Things like canned goo is NOT the same as a good lather made with plenty of water. It is WET shaving after all.

Modern multi bladed monstrosities, made from disposable plastic, are designed to do everything they can to take away control from the operator and remove money from his wallet. But... with great DE razor control comes great responsibility. A young gent needs to learn that *he* is responsible for the shave he gets, not the razor or the soap or the brush. Mastering such a chore is something he can be proud of!

As for razor and brush... I personally have no problems with a basic Omega boars hair brush, and a run of the mill, basic but good, puck of soap or tube of cream and a blade sampler pack.

I do not know the young man in question, but if he likes to read... Dr. Moss wrote a book titled "The art of the Straight Razor Shave", and it offers plenty of guidance in preparing for a proper wet shave and applies equally well to both straight and DE shaving. You can download a pdf copy via the front page of shavemyface.com.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

What about a Schick Krona and Derbys? Mild but effective and not hard to find at a reasonable price.
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

blantyre wrote:What about a Schick Krona and Derbys? Mild but effective and not hard to find at a reasonable price.
Rick, excellent suggestion! I wholeheartedly agree.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:
blantyre wrote:What about a Schick Krona and Derbys? Mild but effective and not hard to find at a reasonable price.
Rick, excellent suggestion! I wholeheartedly agree.
I agree that this would be another good combination.

I disagree with the suggestion of any fixed-head Merkur, which I consider to be on the aggressive side - too aggressive for me even now with experience and too aggressive for a teenager new to shaving.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My first recommendation is the Schick Krona. I don't know how easy they are to come in todays market but millions were made and good specimens were available last time I looked.
Regards,
Squire
shoebooty

Post by shoebooty »

Try starting him out with a Lord L6 razor & can get them on amazon for about 8 to 10 bucks it is fairly light in weight and gives an excellent shave for sensitive skin with a Astra SP (green) these two together give a nice smooth comfortable shave.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi shoebooty. Welcome to SMF!

- Murray
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I will second the PL602 which is plastic. If your son likes it, then he can move up to (or you can gift him) the Razorock Baby Smooth which is effectively the same razor in aluminum, looks nicer and is reasonably priced. As for brushes, I would guess that he will find a good quality synthetic easier to use and maintain than a boar. My two favorites are the Fine Accoutrements Classic 20" (~24) and the West Coast Shaving Two-Tone Tall Synthetic (~$17), the latter of which is much heavier because the handle is bi0gger and made of glass.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

3 years later I strongly suspect that it's over and done with. Either that or the child now sports a wimpy beard.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I hope he took our advice and found a Krona! If so, I'm sure he's still using it and will continue to do so for years to come. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

For a first razor, I agree that the Krona is a top contender. But I would go with one of the later model Schick injector razors - model L, M (adjustable), or N. Or if it has to be a DE, get a TTO like a Super Speed.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Strangely enough, I learned to shave with a Schick Type L. Not sure how I did it, as I find it too aggressive for me now.

I agree that the M-Adjustable would be good, at lowest setting.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

It would be cool if Bill (wrm2012) would stop in and give us an update now that 2 1/2 years have passed since the original inquiry.
Gary

Brutus

Post by Brutus »

ShadowsDad wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:36 am 3 years later I strongly suspect that it's over and done with. Either that or the child now sports a wimpy beard.
Be an optimist; maybe he's now moved on to straight razors and uses them daily.... 8)
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell