Posting Has Slowed Down Lately

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Ouchmychin

Posting Has Slowed Down Lately

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have noticed that the hearty discussions that were so great are getting fewer and fewer lately. I wonder if we have all said our piece and need something or someone new to stir things up. I hope we can find some news to pass on here. I only can say that my son has come to visit and has sprouted a beard since I last saw him. He said he didn't like the scratchiness of it (it is about 3/8 inch long. His co-workers with beards advised him to use clippers or scissors to clip the tips because the tips after shaving are sharper. I told him to wait until it is about an inch long and it won't be scratchy. Never heard the shave thing.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
mrjediconsular

Re: Posting Has Slowed Down Lately

Post by mrjediconsular »

ive been so busy with my physical therapy that i havent been able to post as much im still shaving with a de razor and brush i thought i might give it up during my blade testing so far but i m loving my shaves a bit better other wise no other changes for me :)
Jordan
Gene

Post by Gene »

I noticed the change myself Pete.

It's almost like all the great topics were covered ... but that can't be right.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Pete, Jordan, and Gene -

It has been slowing down here for quite some time. I come here almost every day and I occasionally respond to a thread, but I rarely actually start one. The number of members making an appearance here regularly is way down and that significantly reduces input and conversation. I also think that most of us here have largely settled on the shaving tools and expendables that we like and that there isn't a lot of experimentation going on here anymore. We do, however, still have a lot to offer in terms of experience to share with new members.

Considering how busy this forum once was, this change of circumstances is disheartening.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I agree and it is not a recent phenomenon. I still check in every day, but rarely do I linger because there are few new posts, other than in SOTD and Cooking. As this is a mature forum, perhaps it is just a phase in its evolution.
Bryan
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Well, I'm 86 and this is one of the mature sites that I have found. I wonder if members find new mature places to haunt when they stop visiting. I never could get used to the kids at B&B or coggeegeeks where I check coffee making and roasting threads because I am an amateur coffee roaster. Maybe those members or moderators that know of mature sites to haunt could list them for us. Not that I would quit checking here.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

There are subjects that would generate responses and discussion, but they are no-nos for a reason. They could potentially generate heated discussions and bad feelings because some "adults" are actually children despite chronological age and they can't rise above that. The rules are there for a reason. One of those rules was recently broken and I was gratified to see that the post generated no responses as I'd been told directly not to go there anymore and I haven't since I was told that.

Yeah, we need fresh meat. I wonder where the forum shows up in a 'net search? I'd wager it doesn't show up in the first page otherwise we'd have more noobs. But I don't know for sure. I haven't checked it out myself. The forum reminds me of the older gents who sat in Joe's Barber Shop when I was a kid. They'd sit there, each content merely to be in the presence of the others and largely silent, and watching out for the kid (that'd be me) to let me know when it was my turn in the chair.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
BPman

Post by BPman »

Ouchmychin wrote:Well, I'm 86...

You've probably got underwear older than me!! :lol: :P :wink:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

BPman wrote:
Ouchmychin wrote:Well, I'm 86...

You've probably got underwear older than me!! :lol: :P :wink:
Thank you for demonstrating to us all the value of maturity! :wink: I suppose a truly sensible and mature forum ought to have threads in which members can rant about the quality of underwear these days, when a pair of Savile Row underpants last only for a couple of grouse drives, or a single stag stalk before spontaneously combusting, causing the deaths of two beaters and one ghillie, not to mention a certain feeling of warmth to oneself. Harrumph! Gone to the dogs. Mutter, mutter...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

One would trust that maybe just maybe any of those members who've drifted away for one reason or another might be inclined to post regularly again? :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

Most of the wet shaving "action" today is on other forums that cater to younger whippersnappers and every new "whiz bang" razor. Choice is good. However, the archives here are priceless and a resource for all to peruse.
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

well this whippersnapper picked this fourm for a good reson instead of 500 replies to question like whats the best de razor for a beginner i got 2 answers and few to confirm what others had said.
Jordan
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

brothers wrote:One would trust that maybe just maybe any of those members who've drifted away for one reason or another might be inclined to post regularly again? :wink:
If real life would only allow more time to post.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Maybe they're all over at Facebook sharing with their families. That seems to be the fad now.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, great to see you!

- Murray
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

nodaktim wrote:
brothers wrote:One would trust that maybe just maybe any of those members who've drifted away for one reason or another might be inclined to post regularly again? :wink:
If real life would only allow more time to post.
We can always count on Tim to pop in every 5 or 6 years. LOL Good to see you Tim!
Mike
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I've just started stopping in again after a long absence. I'm surprised to see how much it has slowed down. A few of the regulars that used to post several times a day seem to be missing. What happened to Gordon?
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

CMur12 wrote:Tim, great to see you!

- Murray

Hey Murray!! It has been too long. Glad to see a few familiar people are still around.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Antique Hoosier wrote:We can always count on Tim to pop in every 5 or 6 years. LOL Good to see you Tim!
Haha Mike. I suppose I deserve that after such a long absence. Good to see you are still around too.
~ Tim ~

nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

gruffydd3 wrote:I've just started stopping in again after a long absence. I'm surprised to see how much it has slowed down. A few of the regulars that used to post several times a day seem to be missing. What happened to Gordon?
I used to be one of those regulars that posted a lot each day. I too wonder where some of the others are such as Gordon. Lots of changes since I frequented these forums daily.
~ Tim ~