Your Favorite DE Blade Currently Available

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Shave4Fun

Your Favorite DE Blade Currently Available

Post by Shave4Fun »

Please list it, why you like it, and where you buy it.
(If there is already a thread like this, please let me know where)
Thanks
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
pausted

Re: Your Favorite DE Blade Currently Available

Post by pausted »

Roger, my opinion is that currently the best blades are coming from Russia. At least for my razors and my beard, that is the case. The three blades that I use regularly are Astra Superior Stainless (blue package), Gillette Nacet and Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. I have bought them all from Amazon because I'm a Prime member. These blades all perform well for me and are reasonably priced when bought in quantity.

I expect you will get a lot of different answers to your question. Blades are really a YMMV topic. What works well for one is hated by another.
Best regards,

Basil
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

My favorite blade is the Polsilver SI which I get from Italian Barber or Bullgoose Shaving. They are very sharp and smooth, and my benchmark blade for testing a new razor. However, I only get two good uses before they degrade. Others report many more. My other favorite for mild razors is the Feather, and I get three uses before discarding. Feathers make my mild razors usable for my heavy beard. I get them anywhere.
J T

Post by J T »

my blade of choice is the Polsilver SI. Sharp, smooth and good for 3 outstanding shaves. Unfortunately the word is that they have again gone out of production.
~ Jack
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Personna Medical Prep blade. Reasonably priced. Made in USA. Sharp. smooth.

Personna Lab Blue. Less cost than med Prep. Made in USA. Sharp. Smooth. Some shavers report they feel the blades are the same. I am not among them. YMMV of course. Try them and see.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I, too, really like the Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use blades.

Other favorites are the Perma-Sharp Supers and Treet Dura-Sharps.

I have other blades no longer in production or easily obtained that serve me well, also.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use blades.
yes! 59 thumbs up.

bullgoose / amazon
de gustibus non est disputandum
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Feathers are my go to blade. I add 20 or 30 when I order other supplies. Also use various other blades occasionally. I've heard very good things about Voshkod so my try to get a few sometime.
Rick
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Roger, what are your favorite blades?
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

fallingwickets wrote:
Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use blades.
yes! 59 thumbs up.

bullgoose / amazon
When did you switch blade choices?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
brothers

Post by brothers »

If we consider the Brazilian-made Gillette Platinum Plus blades that showed up in a number of local drug and grocery chains about a year ago, then I will say my currently available favorites are those, in addition to the Kai and the Personna h.u.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't have any one best DE blade, but a few. I also don't use DE razors very much anymore. I've had my present DE blades so long that I don't remember where I got most of them. But I do know that the Polsilvers were bought from a gent who got them from Poland. The Yellows I got from ebay.

In no particular order:

Polsilvers
Med Preps
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Supermax super platinum and super Stainless
Iridium super
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Always happy with my Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows. Easily last a week and never irritate.
Polsilvers are excellent also but my face can't take a full week.
Ed
BPman

Post by BPman »

Best blade for my face is the Gillette Goal Super Platinum. Best blade for the money is the Lord Platinum.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

When did you switch blade choices?
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a great and pleasant surprise to see you out and about :D :D

I switched a few years ago.....in my becks induced imagination merkur screwed up their manufacturing goodliness

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

fallingwickets wrote:OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a great and pleasant surprise to see you out and about :D :D

I switched a few years ago.....in my becks induced imagination merkur screwed up their manufacturing goodliness

clive
They let me out on good behavior. I spent time in rehabilitation for acquisition disorders a plenty. :mrgreen:

Been back on SMF for a short time and already ordering stuff again. :oops:

Good to see you are still about. So, liking the Med Preps? Which razor are you using these days?

BTW Check your PM inbox
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
thw

Post by thw »

Gillette Silver Blue
7 o'clock Green

I've been getting these blades from amazon but spouse is going to cancel all my bank cards unless I agree to enter therapy for RAD.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

thw wrote:Gillette Silver Blue
7 o'clock Green

I've been getting these blades from amazon but spouse is going to cancel all my bank cards unless I agree to enter therapy for RAD.
I'd say you're in good company here, though your spouse may not think so! :oops:

Actually, many of us here have been at this long enough that we're no longer subject to the wild throes of unbridled purchases and experimentation. We have largely settled on favorites, yielding to the occasional dalliance with something new. In my own case, once I had established some preferences, I started to build up a lifetime supply of favored soaps and blades. I don't buy much these days (but I spent a fortune in the past).

You have already bought a couple of very good razors and you have a functional brush. Perhaps you'll be able to rein it in before you really hit the slippery slope.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Still Feather, of the ones available. Came across a pack of old Wilkinsons the other and darn, those are good blades.
Regards,
Squire
refinedshave

Post by refinedshave »

It's tough to pick just one but I would have to go with Voskhod. They are sharp, they are consistent, and they are extremely smooth. They are also surprisingly very cheap, ebay has some good deals and I actually found some on the internet from some guy selling 5 min minutes from my house. I bought 100 off him and after one shave I went back and bought the other 100 he had.