EJ DE89?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

EJ DE89?

Post by nodaktim »

I remember when Merkur was about the only company for quality new DE razors. I have several vintage Gillette razors already such as a 50's Superspeed, a TV '58 Superspeed, a '58 3-piece Tech, a '55 red-tip SS, a Rocket, an Aristocrat #16, a Gillette #58, a '60 "Fat boy", a '64 "slim", a Gillette NEW, a Feather 3-piece portable and coming soon my '76 Super Adjustable.

Will the EJ DE89 fill a niche or be too similar to some of my other razors?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
CMur12

Re: EJ DE89?

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, I haven't used most of those Gillettes for some time, but I would guess the EJ razor to be between a Super Speed and an Aristocrat in its shave characteristics. It is slightly less aggressive than a Merkur with a fixed head. Many regard the EJ as a mild razor, but it is definitely more aggressive than a Super Speed. It is a very good razor for a very good price and it is very popular with good reason. I use mild razors and the EJ is a little too aggressive for me to use on a regular basis. However, if you don't have especially sensitive skin, I think it would complement the razors you have nicely.

- Murray
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Thank you for the reply Murray. I have no experience with a Merkur razor, but I have considered an EJ DE89 to try mostly from recent reading of threads on here and the price point. I have read the head can be more susceptible to damage compared to a vintage Gillette or Merkur.

Still on the fence on this one.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tim I use my EJ Chatsworth often. I've used a number of fixed head Gillettes over the years and can't say the EJ is better in an any quantifiable sense, but it is better for me because the length and shape of the handle balance more comfortably in my hand.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, the EJ is a highly popular and well respected razor. You should try it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Well I broke down and ordered an EJ DE89 Barley handle to test. I took advantage of Bullgoose having a 50% off all EJ items.

The A.D. Beast is emerging anew. Since being back on SMF, I have ordered a Gillette 1976 Super Adjustable and EJ DE89 Barley. I have ordered a couple of bulk packs of blades to try, the New Proraso Green balm to compare to my old favorite, Trumper's Spanish Leather and GFT creams and a few other assorted items.

This is after ordering very few items in the last few years.
~ Tim ~

nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I tried my Edwin Jagger DE89 today for Christmas Day.

It has a nice chrome finish and seems to have a good heft. My first impression is that it shaves somewhere between my 1958 Gillette TV Razor and my 1955 Gillette Superspeed Red-tip. It is not mild or aggressive. It provided a good shave. I have only used 1 other non-vintage Gillette DE razor, the Feather portable, so I needed to make a few adjustments in shaving. The angle is a bit different, but easy to find. All in all it seems like a quality razor to use.
~ Tim ~

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sounds like this razor will work well for you, Tim. It's a very popular razor for a reason.

- Murray