Gordon or Bernards66

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Shave4Fun

Gordon or Bernards66

Post by Shave4Fun »

Hey, fellas, the last post I can find from Gordon was "Jan 10, 2015 12:53 am"

Anyone know what happened to him?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Gordon or Bernards66

Post by Squire »

He's living large in the Sunshine State.
Regards,
Squire
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I guess he has other things to do, but it's funny that he just stopped posting without saying he wasn't going to be around anymore.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

He stated he was preparing some lengthy posts about his trip to England so he wasn't planning on leaving. Yet life happens to us all and this shaving stuff is primarily a hobby. Perhaps he took up golf.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, if you happen to read on occasion, you should know your work here has been singularly excellent, and that you are indeed our most admired mentor and friend. I trust all is well with you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

and that you are indeed our most admired mentor and friend.
sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!! I thought that was my standing here at smf

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

Wow, almost 2 years. That's too bad.

I wonder if he checks in now and then, too.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:
and that you are indeed our most admired mentor and friend.
sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!! I thought that was my standing here at smf

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
Absolutely, Clive! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I miss Gordon. He was referenced several times on Corey Greenberg's Shaveblog. I think that he was a mentor to many of us, and he helped me out with my traditional wet shaving journey. One thing that I admired about him was that he never got into RAD. OTOH, he was willing to try new products, and gave open-minded opinions. I really was impressed with his reviews of the Feather AS-D1 which was loaned to him, and Polsilver SI Blades, for example. I have googled his full name in the context of the Florida Medical Profession, and I don't get any hits. However, he has a very common name. I hope he is still with us, and I fully respect a decision not to participate. Good show, and God Speed, Friend!
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

gruffydd3 wrote:I guess he has other things to do, but it's funny that he just stopped posting without saying he wasn't going to be around anymore.
People usually don't say "adios peeps, I'm hasta la bye bye" on forums. They simply stop posting , sometimes gradually drifting away. As you noted, there are other things in life. Perhaps a better way of looking at it is mission accomplished, time to move onto whatever comes next.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been eight years ago since he became silent. Gordon was a treasured active member here at SMF for 10 years before that. Definitely one of a kind. I wouldn't be surprised if he's living the good life somewhere in Australia these days. He used to post about having some ties to that part of the world, in addition to Florida.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I spent some time trying to track him down. Tried phone numbers - disconnected, even e-mailed his first ex, but no replies. I fear the worst—either he is no longer with us or we offended him somehow.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Good morning, fellow wet shavers.

What about Squire? He has not posted anything since 2018,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:12 am ... either he is no longer with us or we offended him somehow.
This is my sense of it, too.

- Murray
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I really enjoyed Gordon's posts and I definitely consider him to be a mentor. I was under the impression that he was undergoing some major life changes (new marriage, moving etc) and did not have the free time to post that he once had. I'm hoping that this is the case.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've sent a message to a clinic where he used to work. If he graduated in 1966 (I think Bernards was his high school) he is probably 75 by now and retired. I know they won't be able to tell me anything, but I've asked if they can pass my name and e-mail on to him if they have any contact info for him.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:11 pm I've sent a message to a clinic where he used to work. If he graduated in 1966 (I think Bernards was his high school) he is probably 75 by now and retired. I know they won't be able to tell me anything, but I've asked if they can pass my name and e-mail on to him if they have any contact info for him.

C.
Fingers crossed for some kind of response.

Been thinking about this -- I have trouble accepting that the whole forum might have offended him - surely someone from SMF would have been able to stay in contact with him ... or been aware that he had joined a different forum. And, even if he had joined another group his knowledge and writing style were pretty distinctive - somebody would have figured it out and reported back to us.

I vaguely recall him writing about a move - and Internet issues. I think he might have remarried about then, too?? Maybe he's living in a mangrove swamp blissfully raising orphan manatees and having too much fun to interact with the internet.

I hope that's the case.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:11 pm I've sent a message to a clinic where he used to work. If he graduated in 1966 (I think Bernards was his high school) he is probably 75 by now and retired. I know they won't be able to tell me anything, but I've asked if they can pass my name and e-mail on to him if they have any contact info for him.

C.
Nice work! I hope you receive some sort of answer. Have you heard from Squire at all?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

No luck from that clinic. A name search in Tampa with 'psychotherapist' gave me that clinic name and indicated he worked there. But he'd be 75 now and retired. They said he had never worked there.

Does anyone (maybe a Florida lawyer) have access to reports from 411.com? This page is for a Gordon George Nielsen and it mentions related to Judithe, and that was his first wife's name.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:44 am No luck from that clinic. A name search in Tampa with 'psychotherapist' gave me that clinic name and indicated he worked there. But he'd be 75 now and retired. They said he had never worked there.

Does anyone (maybe a Florida lawyer) have access to reports from 411.com? This page is for a Gordon George Nielsen and it mentions related to Judithe, and that was his first wife's name.

C.
That's very frustrating. You would think that it would be easier to track someone down in 2023 than it used to be.

- Phil