GSB blades for which razor?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

GSB blades for which razor?

Post by nodaktim »

During the time of my absence from SMF, I settled on Crystal and Iridium Super (Zyleyek) blades.
2016-12-13-14-34-33-685870315.jpg
2016-12-13-14-34-33-685870315.jpg (9.75 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
When my stock of SI blades became low, I looked to order more only to find the IS blades were discontinued a few years ago. Thus the search for replacement blades began.

Based on posts and threads I read on here, I ordered some Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette Nacet blades. I recently tried the GSB blades in my TV '58 SS and my Gillette #58. So far I am not impressed. I will continue to try them in other razors.

For those of you that prefer the GSB, what razor are you using?
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
CMur12

Re: GSB blades for which razor?

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Tim -

I still have a good supply of the old Iridium Supers, so I haven't looked for direct replacements (though I have tried other blades). The Polsilver Super Iridiums are supposed to be the same blade in new duds. Note that the Iridium Supers and the Polsilver Super Iridiums are P&G products from their St Petersburg factory.

Other favorites of mine are the Perma-Sharp Supers (also from P&G in St P) and the US-made Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use blades.

The Personna Med Prep blades are markedly different from their other blade offerings, made in the US or in Israel, and they have been very popular. Some, including Personna, say that the Personna Lab Blues are the same blade with a less careful cleansing, at half the price. Some say they experience these two blades as the same and others insist that they are different. Someone, possibly Squire, took high-magnification photographs of the two and they looked different.

The blades that I would recommend you try are the Personna Med Prep/Hospital Use. They are really stellar blades.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, if you want, send me your mailing address by PM and I'll send you a few of the Personna hospital use blades so you can see how you like them. Same goes for anyone else who happens to be reading this.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

brothers wrote:Tim, if you want, send me your mailing address by PM and I'll send you a few of the Personna hospital use blades so you can see how you like them. Same goes for anyone else who happens to be reading this.
Wow, thank you Gary. Did you need anyrhing?

PM sent
Last edited by nodaktim on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Tim ~

"Always do right. That will gratify some of the people, and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

I currently have the following razors:

Gillette NEW
Gillette 3-piece Tech (1958)
Gillette Superspeed (TV Special 1958)
Gillette Superspeed (Red-tip 1955)
Gillete Superspeed (40's style)
Gillette Rocket (similar to 40's style SS)
Gillette #58
Gillette Aristocrat #16
Gillette "Fat Boy" Adjustable (1960)
Gillette "Slim" Adjustable (1964) never used
Feather Portable (3-piece)

and coming soon a Gillette "Super" Adjustable (1976)

Does anyone that prefers GSB or Nacet blades use them in one of these razors?

I am just starting out on trying these two blades to find a good pairing. I considered Polsilver, Gillette Platinums (dark blue) and Gillette Rubie to try, but due to rumors of PSI being discontinued and the other 2 being difficult to track down for good prices I opted to forego those options.
~ Tim ~

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, my favorite blades seem to be my favorites regardless of the razor I use, though many - if not most - experience the razor/blade compatibilities that you refer to.

You can get Polsilver Super Iridiums at bullgooseshaving.com . At the moment, razorbladesandmore.com appears to be out of them.

Gillette Rubies are more difficult to get. I got some genuine Rubies on eBay from a vendor in Russia, while other members here got counterfeit Rubies from other Russian vendors.

Take Gary up on his generous offer of Personna Med Prep blades. They are definitely worth a try and I don't recall reading that they are incompatible with any razor.

- Murray
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

Thank you Murray. I am interested in trying the Personna Meds from Gary as they are still manufactured and seem to be favorable to many a member.

I am less interested in the Polsilvers as I do not want to try them, like them and then have to start all over searching for another replacement when they disappear as the are now discontinued.

The Rubies are elusive and I doubt they are so superior to other options to be worth bothering to get.

I figured the GSB and Nacets were readily available and fairly inexpensive compared to other options.

I blindly bought a bulk pack of each and trying to determine whether to use them or get rid of them in some fashion.

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the list of options for blades that I have not tried and too impatient to sample a large variety with several different razors. I'd prefer to have only a few good ones I can count on in my razors and stock up. I primarily used Crystal blades in some razors and the Iridium Super blades in others for a few years now. I feel like a newbie starting out with my first razor and sample pack all over again.
~ Tim ~

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, I hadn't heard about the Polsilver SIs being discontinued. Like you, I'm not willing at this point to try every blade that's out there when I already have quite a few that work really well for me.

I haven't tried the Gillette Super Blues, myself, but I have a tuck of Nacets that someone gave me and that I haven't tried yet. Like I said before, I find the Perma-Sharp Supers outstanding and I also really like the Treet Dura-Sharps, which are PTFE-coated carbon steel. Shavers who like Gillette blades overall would like the Perma-Sharps. Treet Dura-Sharps, while well regarded by many, have their detractors, too.

Curiously, I have some Iranian blades that a friend brought me from Iran and they immediately became one of my top blades. Unfortunately, I don't anticipate being able to get more of them. They are easily obtained very inexpensively in Iran, but neither I nor others who searched have been able to find another source for these blades.

- Murray
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

With great regret, we would like to inform you that the rumors about End of production of Polsilver Super Iridium is true. Our information is that they are not in production as of mid-September. To be able to keep PSI blades in the market as long as possible, we will stop wholesales and prices will be gradually increased over time
I got this from the following site:

http://www.polsilver-blades.com/
~ Tim ~

brothers

Post by brothers »

For those who really like these blades, it looks like now would be the time to follow your link and stock up one last time. Snooze and lose!!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

Too tempting, so I went there.

$15.00 for 50
$18.00 for 100

Bought 100
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
BPman

Post by BPman »

Yet the Gillette guy on another forum says this is all myth started by vendors. Too many wet shavers are suckers. The smallest of rumors quickly snowballs and we get the Chicken Little syndrome.
nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

BPman wrote:Yet the Gillette guy on another forum says this is all myth started by vendors. Too many wet shavers are suckers. The smallest of rumors quickly snowballs and we get the Chicken Little syndrome.
If it is a myth or hoax to drive up sales or prices, then that is another reason to avoid/boycott them.
~ Tim ~

nodaktim
The Prodigal Tim

Post by nodaktim »

brothers wrote:Tim, if you want, send me your mailing address by PM and I'll send you a few of the Personna hospital use blades so you can see how you like them. Same goes for anyone else who happens to be reading this.
I just received the mail for today, and guess what arrived. :D

Thank you again Gary for sending the Personna "Hospital Use" or "Med prep" blades to try.

Please let me know via PM if you would like anything to try.
~ Tim ~

brothers

Post by brothers »

My pleasure Tim! You're welcome sir. I hope you find them to your liking.
Gary