Sleep aid devices - Zyppah, etc

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Sleep aid devices - Zyppah, etc

Post by Sam »

My wife snores. She has vowed to look at the devices she hears on the radio, such as the Zyppah, etc. Anyone have experiences with any of these? She will not use a CPAP device.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Sleep aid devices - Zyppah, etc

Post by drmoss_ca »

If she has obstructive sleep apnea, then CPAP is the only choice. And that's not just to keep her quiet, that's a matter of long term health.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

If a sleep study indicates the necessity of CPAP/BIPAP (?) the individual begins to experience well-needed deep sleep in addition to eliminating the annoying snoring they have experienced. It may be a bit of a hassle but the health benefits are worth it. I don't use one, but if one is recommended to me, I'd be reluctant out of vanity, but I think once I tried it, I'd be sold on it. Good luck to her!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ive asked her to get a sleep study. We are newly married. From what I feel, it is a typical snore, and is not a persistent thing. She can snore for five minutes and then done for three hours. She went online and ordered something with a money back thing, and used her credit card. About $100. She works for a dentist and they refer patients to an oral surgeon for the dental devices so that may be a next step. She said they run about $1500 though she might get it half price. Im not really pushing it, don't want to touch a raw nerve
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

5 minutes out of three hours? Sounds like much less snoring than normal! Keep her!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yeah, that's no big deal.

When I was working shift work my wife had it pretty bad, I would snore all night according to her. There were a few times where I would wake up with her shaking me to get me to breathe. She would tell me that I'd stopped breathing for a few minutes. It turned out that the cure for me was retirement. Seriously. I got onto a regular sleep schedule and it has pretty much stopped according to her.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

She does not stop breathing. It's just a regular snore. And sometimes it is just a very faint noise when she exhales, like she is mouthing the word "poof".
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I wouldn't worry about it then, but that's just regarding her health. But that doesn't take you into account. I'd just go to sleep and stay asleep for the night if I were you.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

She tried one of the mouthguard devices. Did not work. Maybe because the device did not mold well to her teeth. When we get the refund on the guarantee we will try the Zyppah