Prime rib and yorkshire pudding

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Prime rib and yorkshire pudding

Post by Sam »

I watched Alex guarneschelli on the Food network. Prime rib recipe looked easy. Yorkshire pudding was her side dish. Looked like a crepe popover roll. Recipes were easy to find by google

Thinking I might try my hand New Years Eve since I'll be home watching the college football playoffs.

Anyone got ideas on this or a better recipe? Should I serve the Yorkshire alone or with another side. The Yorkshire seems more like a bread. I have never tried anything

And has anyone ever done it on a charcoal grill?
brothers

Re: Prime rib and yorkshire pudding

Post by brothers »

My wife has made something similar a few times. I forget what meat dish we had, but the Yorkshire puddings were from an old recipe, and she says it was a very simple recipe. They weren't bread, but they were a loose batter, baked in a muffin tin and served alongside the meat. Roast I believe. I'm from the old school and always look for a vegetable for a side dish. Maybe you could grill some veggie k-bobs?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Yorkshires are there for GRAVY.... But, I like more than just Yorkshires. As for Yorkshire pudding videos.... Jamie Oliver has a nice one you YouTube.

I tend to prefer a light side salad, slaw or delecately pickled veg of some kind. Along with the refreshing and palate clearing salad veg, maybe a touch of fresh horseradish heat. Otherwise any seasonal veg really.... lightly cooked would be my preference.

We've done Prime Rib and fixings for many a New Years eve, but this year we're being lazy and having our favourite Chinese restaurant cater. Tomorrow morning, I'm spending half the day snow blowing our property and whatever I want after that. I spent 3 days in the kitchen making all manners of things.... some dishes I'd not had in over 30 years, and having the time to make them was wonderful. But....... I've done enough fancy cooking for this year.

This coming year is about the outdoor cooking. No more same old same old for me..... it's got to be new, fresh and exciting. It would also be nice to shed a few pounds of my own weight...<sigh>

Regards

Kaptain "Hulk angry.... Hulk want BBQ,,, Hulk want smash winter" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

It would also be nice to shed a few pounds of my own weight
being skinny is totally overrated :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll leave the prime rib to those who know about it. Yorkshire puddings come in two main types. First there is a greasy slab cooked in a tray and cut up to serve. This is to be avoided. Then there are light fluffy round cups, just going crispy round the rim, and as Kristian says, they are meant to be filled with gravy. They were originally made to be served before the meat, and were supposed to fill hungry tummies that would then have less room for the expensive meat, of which there wasn't much to go around in poor families. My maternal grandmother served them that way, with gravy, and then you have the meat, roast potatoes and vegetables added to the remaining gravy in a peculiar reversal of the line from Pink Floyd's The Wall: how can you have your meat if you don't eat your pudding? My grandmother's own father was killed in a pit accident in Durham when she was a little girl, so she knew all about stretching food out. I should add that Durham is a county that prides itself on knowing that the southerners just below them (ie Yorkshiremen) are a bunch of sissies. Fighting words.

Anyway:
1/2 pound all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 pint milk
2-3 tablespoons fat, which really ought to be meat dripping

You can make the batter in a bowl, with mixed dry ingredients, then eggs then the milk a bit at a time until smooth, but a food processor is much easier. No lumps allowed. Let it stand for half an hour while you heat the oven to 425-450ºF. Place a knob of dripping in each well of your muffin tin (when you get the batter right you can even use shallow jam tart trays, which maximise the area exposed to heat, but for this the batter has to rise without spilling over onto the tin between the wells). Place in oven and wait till the fat is smoking hot. Quickly pour the batter into each (not too much or it will rise up and go everywhere!) and cook on the top shelf for about 25-35 minutes depending on your oven. If the top edges of the puddings look like they are going too dark but the bottom is still doughy, put it on the bottom shelf.

You don't want to eat these dry, so you need gravy. If you are doing prime rib on a grill you won't get to make it from the meat juices. So here's what you do:
Chop a medium onion small.
Fry in oil in a skillet till going brown.
In a cup mix 1 tsp cornflour, 2 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins) - mix till no lumps
Take skillet off heat, add the above and mix vigorously as it will want to make lumps, return to heat
A little at a time, add a watery liquid (water, red wine, chicken or vegetable stock) and mix well at each stage as again lumps will try to form where you add the liquid. If you get a lump, take it off the heat again and stir. Until the flour has cooked it will tend to keep thickening up, so the amount of liquid you add is just to keep that tendency at bay. Don't overdo the liquid as it it then harder to thicken it again by adding more flour which will then lumpify things. The total amount you add will be around 1/2 to 1 cup. Don't strain out the onion bits - leave them in. Gravy must be served piping hot, but it is easily reheated once in a jug in the microwave.

This is actually very easy in practice, and well worth the brief effort as it will taste far better than some abomination from a tin can. As always in cooking, the trick is to get the timings so that everything comes out ready at the same time, especially interesting if doing several things in the same oven.

Roast beef, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, carrots, brussel sprouts and gravy would be the classic English Sunday lunch. Shepherd's pie on Monday from the leftovers (also quick and easy and Monday is traditionally washing day, so little time for cooking). And so the week rolls on.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace