Refinishing burl wood brush handle

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Refinishing burl wood brush handle

Post by brothers »

A few months ago I bought a hand turned burl handle from Bob Quinn. I mounted a large synthetic knot from Shave Revolution in the handle, and have used it quite a bit but the shiny finish has quickly worn away. That was disappointing because the price I paid for the handle was almost $70. I had naively assumed (never assume) that the finish would be CA (super glue). Now I've decided to refinish the handle and to do it right it'll be CA if all goes according to plan. I've watched several youtube instructional videos and am convinced I can do it. It'll involve an airbrush. I'm in the process of gathering all of the necessary components. Of course it'll end up costing maybe twice as much as I paid for the handle, but I've rationalized it by simply telling myself I can refinish dozens of wooden items of all descriptions and sizes over time. 8) [Before/during/after photos will probably be posted at some point within the following weeks.]

Here are photos showing how the brush looked before being used. The second photo shows how it looked after being used a few times.
mesquite burl 2.jpg
mesquite burl 2.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 8708 times
Mesquite Burl Bob Quinn.jpg
Mesquite Burl Bob Quinn.jpg (138.85 KiB) Viewed 8708 times
Last edited by brothers on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Re: Refinishing burl wood brush handle

Post by Rufus »

This is very disappointing. Have you informed Bob Quinn about the problem? I think he should refinish the handle for you with CA for no charge and cover the shipping costs both ways.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm looking at it as another woodworking/craft project for me to engage and enjoy. I take the blame for an erroneous assumption on my part. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:I'm looking at it as another woodworking/craft project for me to engage and enjoy. I take the blame for an erroneous assumption on my part. :)
I think you're being unnecessarily hard on yourself. I don't believe it's too much to assume that a wood item that is to be exposed to water would be finished in a manner befitting its use, be it CA or some other water resistant material, which your handle was evidently not.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good point Bryan, however, I have always been looking for an excuse to learn how to properly apply the CA finish, and this is my golden opportunity to do so. I see this as a positive step forward. The handle was difficult to find, and when I saw it, I had to have it. Now that I've inserted the excellent Shave Revolution synthetic knot and the brush as a whole is great, I'm just looking forward to making it as perfect overall as I can. Maybe it'll be an heirloom when my shaving days eventually become a thing of the past.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

:roll:
Last edited by brothers on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This is the mesquite burl handle with all of the original finish removed, and ready for refinishing.
Mesquite burl unfinished.jpg
Mesquite burl unfinished.jpg (191.11 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Last edited by brothers on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Project complete! Here are the photos showing 9 coats of CA (superglue). Planning what to do, how to do it, and gathering the necessary materials took up most of the time. Today, going slowly and making sure I did everything in the correct sequence without making stupid mistakes only took about 3 hours from start to finish. What a feeling of relief!
Mesquite burl refinish 1.jpg
Mesquite burl refinish 1.jpg (179.22 KiB) Viewed 8715 times
Mesquite burl refinish 2.jpg
Mesquite burl refinish 2.jpg (213.47 KiB) Viewed 8715 times
Mesquite burl refinish 3.jpg
Mesquite burl refinish 3.jpg (144.82 KiB) Viewed 8715 times
Last edited by brothers on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Beautiful, Gary!
Best regards,

Basil
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

That's a gorgeous brush Gary. Use it in good health.
-Ed
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

That's about the most beautiful burl handle I have ever seen. Like you wanted, now it's perfect! Great job, Gary.
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is an update. I'm in the process of replacing the Shave Revolution synthetic knot with a new and improved one. The blue tape is durable and protects against damaging the beautiful CA finish during the vigorous and prolonged use of power tools to remove all of the vestiges of the old knot that is destroyed in the process.
Mesquite burl handle 03Oct2018.jpg
Mesquite burl handle 03Oct2018.jpg (642.51 KiB) Viewed 8706 times
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, what knot did you use to replace the synth? Also, I would love to know more about your process. I have considered a Mesquite burl from Bob but am wondering now if I will go through with it. I love that handle shape and the look it has with CA. I was pondering a Manchurian. anyway, I wouldn't mind details, either in the thread or via PM.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, knowing what we currently know, I'd certainly ask the maker of the handle to consider a finish that doesn't disappear after only a few weeks of use in wet soapy conditions as mine did. I presume a woodworker making and selling expensive handles has wood-turning and airbrushing equipment and experience that would have made my project completely unnecessary. I have neither the equipment nor the training that applying a properly durable and beautiful cyanoacrylic finish would entail, and as a result I had to improvise with extensive pre-planning and care. Thank goodness it was successful.

The replacement brush head is called SynBad. I bought it from apshaveco.com.

The only equipment I had was a variable speed (very slow speed turning) electric drill and a bench vise. Rube Goldberg would have been proud of my contraption. Since I do not own a lathe (required to apply the finish to the spinning handle), I had to invent a way to have the drill holding onto the handle and turning it very slowly in mid-air while I applied the liquid CA onto the turning handle with small squares of paper shop towels. It dries in about 2 seconds. Breathing apparatus (I had a professional facemask that I have used in the past while painting cars) is mandatory as are a boxful of suitable rubber gloves. That stuff including the molecules floating in the air as it is applied and as it dries will literally kill our lungs, eyes, and noses, and glue our hands and fingers (and rubber gloves) to whatever they might touch. I had to buy the CA and the Accelerator on Amazon.

I found a gold mine of information on YouTube, specifically several posts of Cap'n Eddie Castelin, a woodturning lathe master craftsman from Louisiana. I think he may be deceased, but his wisdom is available. I watched the ones about finishing with CA a number of times and made some good notes on what to do and what to avoid.
Gary

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

In my mind I'm not sure about wood and water but having been messing with some wood handles lately. If figure if wood was good in water they'd make boats out of it (poor joke). Here's a piece of zebra wood. I took a little liberty with the color, the number of coats of tung oil is absurd. I plan on putting a mixed knot in this handle. Your handle looks great. Mine still needs a good buffing yet.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Oscar, that is beautiful. If you ever decide you're open to making handles for sale again, I'll take one identical to it. The shape is absolutely perfect.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Thank you, I appreciate it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Oscar that's a beautiful handle!
Gary

Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Thanks.