Longevity of Penhaligon's shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Longevity of Penhaligon's shaving soap

Post by brothers »

3 or 4 years ago I used up an entire puck of DRH soap in 30 days. Currently, I have shaved 27 times with a puck of Penhaligon's Sartorial soap, and the total soap used to date is only 10.9g. There are 89.1g remaining of the original 100g soap. That is an average of .403g per shave. This means this puck of Penhaligons soap will run out after 248 shaves. Eight months of shaves. An impressive and amazing statistic. The lather is top notch. I happen to be very fond of the scent. The cake of soap is virtually still all there. If it were a puck of DRH, there would be 3 shaves to go before it disappears. If I used no soaps other than Penhaligons, It would take two full years to use up 3 pucks. I shave my whole face every day. It stands to reason that some guys do not shave their whole face, they just trim a bit here and there due to maintaining facial hair styles. Those guys could probably get even more shaves due to the use of even less soap than I do. Talk about economical! I am speaking of the currently available shaving soaps from Penhaligons.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Longevity of Penhaligon's shaving soap

Post by fallingwickets »

I think you have soap ghosts in your house that feed off your stash while youre sleeping!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an aside, I took your penhaligons comments from a few weeks(?) ago to heart and bought a puck of the bouquet.....its on truck as I write.....looking forward to giving it a whirl

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, I have no idea how long the typical Penhaligon's shaving soap lasts. But, I do have an old cake of the tallow based English Fern. I've used it a few times and it's nearly new. I will try to use it up and let you know how long it lasted.

Best,
Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:I think you have soap ghosts in your house that feed off your stash while youre sleeping!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an aside, I took your penhaligons comments from a few weeks(?) ago to heart and bought a puck of the bouquet.....its on truck as I write.....looking forward to giving it a whirl

clive
Clive it looks like the soap-eating ghosts are avoiding the Penhaligons for sure!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JohnContreras

Post by JohnContreras »

Sound's interesting!
I am also fond of various beard and shaving product scents. Few days before I bought some beard oils & other products from this website which have pleasant fragrance. Looking for other such products ..
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, welcome to SMF. Have you experienced Penhaligon's shaving soaps and fragrances?
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard John, look forward to your contributions.
Regards,
Squire
JohnContreras

Post by JohnContreras »

brothers wrote:John, welcome to SMF. Have you experienced Penhaligon's shaving soaps and fragrances?
No, I didn't try Penhaligon's shaving soaps.
JohnContreras

Post by JohnContreras »

Squire wrote:Welcome aboard John, look forward to your contributions.
Thanks Squire...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I rotated back to the Penhaligons Sartorial shaving soap. The most recent soap was a very hard puck of Taylor's Luxury Lime with 51 shaves on it and at least 2/3 of the original puck still remaining. These two soaps seem similar in terms of the lather they make and the performance while shaving. I'm paying particular attention to the post-lather pass which uses a splash of water as I touch up against the grain, so I can figure out how slick they are. Following this morning's shave, the Sartorial now has 32 shaves on it. I'll come back and post more as time passes.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

So for my part I've used the English Fern cake about once since my last post on this. Fantastic lather! But it seems I've developed irritation to the fragrance. The post shave feeling wasn't what I am used to and I was slightly irritated despite the slick protective lather. It didn't feel like razor burn but the feeling of something in the soap didn't agree with my skin. It's like a chemical burn if you know what I mean. I've experienced it with other things so it's a familiar feeling to me.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to use this one sparingly until it's gone. I like the scent too much to give it up.

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I know exactly how long each of my shave soaps last. To the last ghost of a sliver from which lather cannot be coaxed.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago in this thread, I had two pucks of used hard shaving soap, TOBS Lime and Pens Sartorial. Fast forward to right now --- they were both boring, and both were re-purposed to the shower. Now the TOBS is a distant memory and the Pens has a couple of weeks left before it joins it's shaving soap cousin in the shower drain. I think both of these soaps made good lather and probably would have lasted at least 100 shaves. Ho-hum. Who cares? I have much more respect for a soap that is good-smelling and makes very good lather, and only lasts about a month and a half. Here are several very good examples: Krampert's Finest Frostbite; Harris Marlborough, AOS tallow Sandalwood; Mike's Natural Lime; and Pens tallow Blenheim Bouquet, just to name a few. They never got boring. Every day the shave was something to look forward to and never dreaded.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

never got boring. Every day the shave was something to look forward to
my sentiments exactly about trumpers rose :D :D

I havent tried mikes lime, but I think ill give the krampert soap a whirl

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum