3 Reviews in one - Myrsol, Strop Shoppe, & Gron Lycka

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

3 Reviews in one - Myrsol, Strop Shoppe, & Gron Lycka

Post by brothers »

Recently, I have been curious about these soaps, so I found them and now have them in my possession.

Shaving Treasure x 3 with superior performance

The performance of these soaps feels a bit like going for a spontaneous hike in the desert and stumbling onto the Lost Dutchman gold mine of shaving soap. The lather is the shiny, non-sudsy or bubbly thick and rich cushiony and slick meringue that does not dissipate. The best way to load the brush (for me) is the most obvious and most simple. I run some hot tap water into the open tub, just a tablespoon or so, then I gently swirl the completely dry brush on the surface for about 15 to 20 seconds. Then I move the loaded brush to my lather bowl, only adding tiny shots of water as needed. I don't face-lather it. The first few days I started out using too much water, scooping soap out and trying to load the brush. That was sloppy and runny, but the over-wet lather still seemed to perform just fine, even with too much water. The lathers of these 3 soaps are almost identical, even though the ingredient lists are quite dissimilar. Addressing all 3 of these soaps the lather seems like the pot of gold at the end of my own little rainbow in my opinion.

Myrsol Crema de Afeitar Con Lanolina Para Afeitar Con Brocha --- The gentleman who founded Myrsol, made in Spain, recently died at an advanced age, and evidently left behind a little-known gem for me to enjoy. This is a firm non-tallow soap that comes in an enormous 1,000 gr tub. I think it is called the "barber barrel". The post-shave skin feel is quite smooth and pleasing; the cushion and slickness (my opinion) are superior. Myrsol's scent is mild and unremarkable, nondescript, neither good nor bad, smells fresh but not perfumy. After the shave, my skin feels so smooth to the touch that I almost said "I can't feel my fingers!". It feels powdery smooth to the touch. This is a fact. This stuff is so hard to find I was afraid it had been discontinued --- of course! I have a hunch that this product might be commonly available in Spain, for use by barber shops, for example, just not catching on around the other parts of the world who depend on the english speaking interweb. Myrsol Crema de Afeitar is NOT the Myrsol Shaving Lotion! The Lotion is not worth buying, in my opinion. I would avoid it at all costs. When I decided to find the soap, I located it at two retail internet webstores. Smallflower was out of stock last time I checked. I found my giant tub of shaving soap treasure at Gifts & Care, located in Spain.

Strop Shoppe Shaving Soap --- Since 2012, located about 25 miles from me, in Norman, OK. A treasure that was right in front of me, but I failed to see it until now. It's received positive reviews on the shaving forums but I had not purchased or used it until just recently. I may be slow, but thank goodness I finally got around to buying some of their soap. I have absolutely no connection with this vendor or product. This is a superior tallow shaving soap that lathers in the outstanding manner I have described above. Strop Shoppe leaves the skin feeling powdery and ultra soft and smooth, as does the Myrsol. Cushiony and slick, as well. Comes is a variety of well-formulated masculine scents that indicate someone has a real talent for creating fragrances. Shipping is lightning fast, and Strop Shoppe gives a discount to military and veterans, upon request. I ordered 4 fragrances, and they kindly gave me samples of two others. My communications with the vendor have gone smoothly and without delay.

Gron Lycka Old Fashion Whipped Shaving Soap --- Handmade in Sweden by Carina. This non-tallow shaving soap contains a variety of products that are skin-healthy, and yields yet another superior lathering soap. Super slick and cushioning, the protective lather seems to enhance the performance of the razor and blade in the same manner as the two soaps listed above. The fragrance is a pleasant mild lemon scent. Leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth. The term shaving treasure definitely applies. This soap comes in a 250ml tub. Carina accepts Paypal and her customer service is exemplary, just as the two other vendors listed above.

Learning about and experiencing all of these three soaps from around the world has been a very informative and fulfilling experience for me. I will readily recommend each of these soaps without reservation.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Re: 3 Reviews in one - Myrsol, Strop Shoppe, & Gron Lycka

Post by pausted »

Great reviews, Gary! Makes me itch to get out my credit card.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Makes me itch to get out my credit card.
I think visa/amex secretly sponsors gary HAHAHAHAHA

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I wish! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary, for curiosity sake, what was ship time on the myrsol?

thanks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Considering it originates in Spain, it's not bad. Couple of weeks, maybe. Certainly worth the wait.
Gary

mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

After reading you great review, I concur with your assessment of Stroppe Shop shaving soaps as I have several. That left me with a void----what to do about the other two????? I have ordered and received both now(how does restraint work anyway?). They will have a permanent place in my den from here forward, top notch soaps of the finest quality and what great international venders to work with, thank you, Gary, for all you do on these forums. You are very thorough in your reviews and I am very grateful for you input. Great members make a great brotherhood!!!!
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I appreciate the kind words. Thanks. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying these soaps.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

shouldnt that be brothershood???
brothers

Post by brothers »

This week marks the return (rotation) to the Myrsol Crema de Afeitar soap. I'm humbled by the remarkable (dare I say amazing?) pleasure I get in using this outstanding soap. Soft, for a soap, and has little scent to write home about, but it just works for me in every way I expect. I'm so happy I took a chance on this 1000g Spanish soap last year. If I could, I would make this my only soap and never look back.
Gary

cpool222

Post by cpool222 »

Where do you buy the Gron Lycka?
brothers

Post by brothers »

cpool222 wrote:Where do you buy the Gron Lycka?
Here's a link to the SMF thread where I first heard of it. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55084
Within the thread you will find a link to the website at that time.

Just now I've tried to visit the website. It doesn't seem to be very current or informative. I googled the phrase "vispad raktval gronlycka".
You may have a time consuming challenge finding the information you need to look into the possibility of buying some of this soap.
Good luck!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Update: today I was able to communicate with Carina, the person behind the Gron Lycka soap. She confirms that she is not currently making or selling any products through the website. She is involved in another family project, and will not be making any new soaps until sometime in the Spring of 2017. She tells me she will email me in a few months whenever she has made more shaving soap. Something nice to look forward to! :)
Gary

cpool222

Post by cpool222 »

Thanks, brothers, for the info on the Gron Lycka soap!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm working on the Strop Shoppe Peche for the past few days. As a face lather it's a good soap. Great lather but they're out of business.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After 21 shaves the small tub of Strop Shoppe Peche ran out. Tomorrow I'll be rotating into the Swedish Gron Lycka soap.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This Gron Lycka is just as good as I remembered. Maybe I'll stick with this one for a few weeks. Still trying to use stuff up at a much higher rate than new ones coming in.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The 250ml jar of Gron Lycka soap (Sweden) is about 1/3 used up after 19 shaves. Loading time for the brushes has been 15 seconds, never more than 20. Does a very nice job of helping me get rid of those relentless whiskers every day. Going to miss it when it's gone. I do have one more in reserve for some future time. I'm guessing this one should serve up 50 or 60 shaves before it disappears.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Gron Lycka soap was relocated out of the original tub into a wide-mouth wooden bowl to make it easier to load the brush. Today's shave was # 31. This one might even last as many as another 25 to 30 before it runs out.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

54 shaves so far on the Gron Lycka, and there's more coming. The end is in sight! Not to worry, I bought two! One of the slickest soaps. I only lather one time, then for the touchup against the grain, all I have to do is splash some water on my face and it's like greased lightning.
Gary