First pair of boots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

First pair of boots

Post by Sam »

I tried to wear cowboy boots in college when Urban Cowboy came out. Pinched my toes so I never bought more. Have had chukka boots and have two pair now, one is a Sperry and is like a topsider chukka

Wife wanted to buy me a pair. Found some Frye boots with zipper in back. Pricey. Found suede ones with the elastic on the side. Maybe next time

Found a pair of Steve Madden with laces and zipper on the boot to the inside of the leg. Brogue work and a burnished toe in a slightly darker color. I'm loving them with jeans.

So what are great brands to wear casually and then maybe to work? Anyone wear them with suits? I've seen the elastic sided boots shown with dress pants. Don't know if I would like those or stick with loafers if I don't want to wear a license Oxford with a suit or sportscoat
gregkw1

Re: First pair of boots

Post by gregkw1 »

You never wear boots with a suit
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

So, first of all, nothing comes close to the original 'clarks' chukka

Secondly, the chelsea boot (elastic on the side, with a pull, back and /or front) is an absolute must have. I'm a big fan of blundstones. http://www.blundstone.com/shop/adult-bo ... 500-series

Just before the holidays I got a pair of mark anthony at nordstrom....(huge discount for some reason). They arent as comfy as the blundstones (what shoe could be??), but man are they drop dead good looking / feeling shoes

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
pausted

Post by pausted »

gregkw1 wrote:You never wear boots with a suit
Unless you live and work in Texas :)
Best regards,

Basil
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I wear my Lucchese cowboy boots with a suit from time to time. I also have several pairs of shorter Allen Edmonds dress boots, including a Chelsea-type style.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a pair of Lucchese ropers in black cherry that are good all round boots. They look good with jeans and with grey flannels and a blazer. They are comfortable to walk in and to wear all day because the toe isn't pointy and the heel is not high, unlike cowboy boots. I also have a pair of suede Geox Chelsea boots, but I don't wear them often because I don't find them very comfortable.
Bryan
brothers

Red Wing Irish Setter boots

Post by brothers »

I've had these Red Wing Irish Setter boots for two years. When you see me in my boots, it's for a reason, weather or some heavy work usually. I might even wear them on a whim sometimes. Regardless, I love these boots. Yes, those are steel toes you see. These will be passed down to someone else when the time comes for me to stop needing them.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Nice boots Gary.

I'll offer up my daily wear of Red Wing 606s. One pair for work, one pair for weekend use. May not be what you're looking for, but a quality boot to consider.
--Greg
Drakhtul

Post by Drakhtul »

Damn, those boots are looking great, but i would prefer a black one.
nie.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I've had these Red Wing Irish Setter boots for two year
Nice!! I have a pair similar to yours. Every other month or so I send red wing an email asking them when they are coming out with a pull-on version!! :D :D Being geriatric, laces are soooo annoying lol

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Allen Edmonds makes quality boots in several styles, although pricey. Check out their factory seconds at www.shoebank.com My philosophy is that after you have had a pair of shoes or boots for a while, there will probably be some scuffs or irregularities anyway, so why not save up front? AE offers free shipping and free returns, so you have zero risk.