As seen on TV

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

As seen on TV

Post by ShadowsDad »

OK, not advertisements, but cooking segments on the tube. Specifically the annoying shows that my wife watches on NBC in the morning. Normally the eating habits of the hosts is atrocious but today it just went over the top. I happened to be walking by and the guest was making what looked to be a Po'Boy. So I stopped to watch. Jenna was mixing the cole slaw, and Hoda mentioned that they were running out of time so they'd need to eat. Normally the hosts in general, in the interest of not "making a mess", eat over the dishes of food. That really bugs me no end. Today Jenna takes her sandwich and as per usual leans over the entire bowl of coleslaw and takes a bite. The innards of the sandwich is oozing out and landing in the slaw. Then after one bite she puts her sandwich right in the bowl of slaw.

Sorry, but I think these folks are pigs. I see that stuff all the time. There's no chance of it, but I would never go to their homes and partake of anything. I wonder if they even wash their hands after visiting the hopper. From seeing their complete lack of understanding and lack thinking of others I doubt that they do.

Another chef from NOLA keeps a spoon in his pocket and so as to put on a show of not putting the tasting spoon in the dish, he uses the mixing spoon to put a taste on the previously mouthed spoon from the pocket. But I've seen excess drip back into the dish from off of his tasting spoon. Sorry, that's just nasty. I think he owns a restaurant too. It's yet another place I would never eat food from.

Maybe I'm overly picky, but if I wouldn't want to swap spit with these folks orally, and I don't want to, why would I want it in my food? I know I'm a bit of a germophobe but would anyone here want to eat after these people do these things? It's like double dipping. Just disgusting.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
pausted

Re: As seen on TV

Post by pausted »

Brian. I agree with you.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yuck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im addicted to cooking shows....can't remember if it was a top chef/master chef/ chopped episode, but one of the contestants was dismissed for dipping a tasting spoon. =D>

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

fallingwickets wrote:Im addicted to cooking shows....can't remember if it was a top chef/master chef/ chopped episode, but one of the contestants was dismissed for dipping a tasting spoon.
Well, I am a bit of a sucker for cooking shows, too.

I remember back in the day watching David Wade (1960's in Dallas), Graham Kerr and lot's of others.

Today my brother in law and I are big fans of Giada, but I am not sure if it's her food or the fact that it's fun to watch her whisking things!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I don't think I have seen anything like that on the Food Network.

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I watch them on PBS and one chef (Simply Ming) dips the handle side of his spoon into whatever he wants to taste. Just once, and he uses the business end to stir the food.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've noticed that also Ouch'. Then he'll further cook with that hand and fingers without washing from what I remember. It's like washing ones hands after using a public toilet then grabbing the door handle, bare handed, to get out.

That reminds me of a similar type of disgusting act done by a chef... I can't tell you how many times I've seen a TV chef use a tasting spoon then put it on the cutting board to contaminate future food put on the same board.

This stuff is so commonly seen it's incredible. I have to give Chef Ramsey credit. He uses a tasting spoon and discards it. He seems to know about contamination and cross contamination and knows that it's not just about implements used for chicken. (He appears to have a working brain.)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Our local newspaper reports the monthly state inspections of local restaurants. The state gives red and blue flags to those that have problems. One of the most common is lack of proper hand washing facilities to be used by staff. The next most is for employees untrained in food handling sanitation requirements. After proper training staff members receive a card from the state and must show it to inspectors.
Ouchmychin (Pete)