Finding Things to Talk About

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Ouchmychin

Finding Things to Talk About

Post by Ouchmychin »

As I have posted a while ago, we seem to be settled into our routines and equipment. That leads to decreased posting at the forums. I was thinking of an experiment. If members would post pictures of the lineup of equipment and products in their cabinet we could compare notes. What about trying some of the stuff we haven't used in a while just to compare. If anyone is interested it would be helpful to see how to get photos stored in Picassa files or whatever to the forum. I have given up trying to figure out how to get the pixels right and do the transfer, but some members post pictures so I know it must be doable. As you may have guessed, our town has been snowed in and it is nearly impossible to get out of the house and we are all getting stir crazy.
Pete
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Tucker

Re: Finding Things to Talk About

Post by Tucker »

Splendid idea, Pete. If someone could please post a tutorial on how to upload photos, I am game!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

To encourage posting one could mention that one is snowed in and not mention the locale. Hence this question... where are you located that you can't get out? :)

To post pix I find it easiest to either have a Photobucket account (free) and just upload to it or Dropbox account. I use both. Photobucket automatically resizes the pix. Then I copy the location and plug that into the post I'm writing. One can use the forum software to do it, but I find it easiest to just plug the link into the text. The software will figure it out. The same goes for videos.

OR

Get a Dropbox account and put the pix in that. Dropbox will give you a link to whatever you desire; an entire directory or a single picture or video. Size the pix or not, it means nothing to Dropbox what you link to.

One tip though... if you post links it's the pits to remove or move the pix linked to. Nothing ticks folks off more to read a post and see where a picture should be and find that it's no longer there. For that reason I use Dropbox for transitory things in emails and PMs, and Photobucket for very long term items. That's just how I keep track. Most times after someone has "picked up" what I left for them in the Dropbox I delete it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Brian, are you saying that it is better to use dropbox for sending pictures to the forum? I am not up on technical stuff and will need to try one but I am not sure what you mean by long term. I just want to send photos that I have transferred from my camera to Picassa to my posts in these forums.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Sorry Pete I should have been more clear. No, for a forum, IMO Photobucket is better than Dropbox. You want the pix that are in a forum to last a long time. A Photobucket account is persistent and not all picture accounts are. I can't remember the name of one that I looked into. But basically if the picture wasn't accessed for 6 months it was toast and forever lost to the forum. Of course if the Photobucket account has all sorts of other pix in it it'll fill up rapidly, then one will need to pay for extra storage. But I only use mine for forum pix and I've been using it for years without paying a fee. Long after the silver cord parts ones pix could still be in use on the forum.

I use my Dropbox mostly when I want to have someone pick up some data, then I delete the data from my account after I'm informed that it was picked up. I do put some things for long term use in my Dropbox, but it's very rare and mostly for business.

Pete, if I still need to clarify more for any reason, don't hesitate to let me know. I know what I mean but sometimes it's difficult to convey the thoughts. PMs work also. We've all been in the position of "what do I do?".

BTW, unless someone has large amounts of storage on the sites I mentioned they are free. I like free a great deal.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

How about posting a link to their site. Thanks
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Soitanly!

http://www.photobucket.com

http://www.dropbox.com

Dropbox has software that needs to be installed on your computer if I remember correctly. It's no big deal, anyone can do it. After that your dropbox acts like any storage device on your computer, except it's somewhere in CA, or I think it's there.
Brian

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks. I'll try it soon.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If either gives you problems get back to me, even a PM will get my attention.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's hoping you can get it done, Pete! Looking forward to seeing your photo posts. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I will start, however picture will follow:

Razors:
Gillette NEW Long Comb
Gillette NI Big Fellow
7 o'clok razor

Blades:
London Bridge
Triton R3

Soap/Creams:

KMF
P.160

Aftercare:
Thayers

Brushes:

Vintage Plisson HMW 12
Thater 4125/1 2 band bulb
Kent BK4
Simpson 2xl Colonel
Simpson Captain 2 Best
Shavemac
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

I wish SMF's Gallery was still up and running. It still exists and is loaded with photos from the olden days. It's viewable, just not accepting any new postings.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FWIW, one would need to living a a cave to not know that one has to pay big bucks for PhotoBucket to host photos for linking from a website today. So what I wrote above is no longer valid.

Today I'm using the PostImage site. It's super easy to use and exists specifically for posting images to sites. It will automatically resize uploaded images to a few standard sizes, and I think I remember they have other photo tools as well. Patooey on PhotoBucket and their holding pictures hostage.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Postimage is my current choice also.
Gary