Your best concert experience

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jthomas1264

Your best concert experience

Post by jthomas1264 »

All,

I am looking back on some of the best concerts I've seen over the last few decades. Last month I saw Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, an excellent tribute to Zeppelin and Bonzo. So what are your concert memories? I saw Queen twice with Freddie Mercury and twice with Adam Lambert. Incredible shows.

How about y'all?

jt
JayTrek

Re: Your best concert experience

Post by JayTrek »

I would think that those Queen shows with Freddie could not be topped. He commanded a stage like no one else ever has.

I have not taken in many concerts. My musical interests are wide and varied. The two best concerts I have ever seen are were with Chris Botti at the Ryman in Nashville a few years ago. I also saw Chicago and Earth, Wind, and Fire together in Nashville two years ago.

Both shows were great. And I would certainly see both acts again given the chance.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't been to a concert in a long time. My favorite would probably be a very intimate Joan Baez concert in a community college theater, in the late 1980s. She was beautiful, charming, and the concert was wonderful. Close to that time, I went to an Everly Brothers concert that I also enjoyed.

Going back to the early 1970s, I went to a Judy Collins concert in the Seattle Opera House and I was blown away by her voice and her charm. I was really into Leo Kottke back at that time and I went to a couple of his concerts, a year apart, too.

- Murray
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I am not a huge concert or live music devotee but I will offer two unusual ones,..... Bryan Ferry in a very small theater venue OR perhaps my first "real" concert appearance, The Who on their "Farewell" tour in 1983.

Obviously it was farewell until they needed more cash.

The Police in 1984 wasn't a bad show either. I regularly turn down offers to view concerts. They just don't appeal to me.
Mike
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Probably Renaissance in the mid '70s at The Academy of Music in NYC.

I haven't been to a concert since the mid '80s and back when I was going to concerts they were few and far between and I was very picky.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can't single out one best. Early days it was a show featuring Beach Boys, Paul Revere & Raiders, B. J. Thomas and others I can't remember. Later it was Elvis Presley. Third was in the Cotton Bowl --- ZZ Top, Santana, Steve Miller Band, and can't remember who else. Most recently, Eric Clapton.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

1962. Bob Dylan at the Mosque Theatre in Newark, N.J. He couldn't get booked in New York City. Mid to late Sixties sing alongs with Pete Seeger at Croton Point Park on the Hudson.

Buzz
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

My first rock concert was Blind Faith at the Spectrum in Philadelphia in the summer of 1969. I was all of 13 years old and was very lucky that my 18 year old sister agreed to let me tag along. I was quite impressed by the atmosphere, the crowd, the loudness of the band. It was a big big deal for me. Another memorable concert at the Spectrum was Chicago sometime around 1970. The opening act was Bruce Springsteen, a relatively unknown artist at the time. About halfway through his short set the crowd began chanting "We want Chicago...We want Chicago".
Rich
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Bob Dylan in 1962 would have good. I wasn't quite of concert-going age yet, however. I remember desperately wanting to go to a Beatles concert in 1965, but tickets were astronomically expensive, at $5.00

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Back when I was a teen and into college, I saw Beach Boys, Stones, ZZ Top, Lynard Skynard, Styx, Doobie Brothers, Kansas, Fleetwood Mac, Joe Walsh, Dan Fogelberg, and then when married Billy Joel, Amy Grant, Celine Dion. I know I have a good six or more concerts I can't recall right now. When I was able to drive,i was going to a concert at least 4, 5 times a year. Some of the bands above (kansas and Styx) I have seen more than once.

Now, with new wife, we have seen Rascal Flatts, Boston, Night Ranger, Billy Joel, Elton John, Darius Rucker, Hall and Oates, Fleetwood Mac, Harry Connick, Jr., Journey with the new guy, shows at the Grand Ole Opry, and have tickets for Tom Petty with Joe Walsh opening. Have traveled to Little Rock (Fleetwood Mac) and to Tuscaloosa, Alabama (Rascall Flatts). Most of them are now at outdoor amphitheaters where you can bring a cooler and wine/beer and set up before the show.

Edit: Joe Walsh lived in Memphis for a bit and would play shows in local bars and I would see him from time to time
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I saw the Doobie Brothers in college from about the fifth row. Have had orchestra seats for Steely Dan several times. Got a backstage pass for Leon Russell years ago that allowed me to get some photographs from under the stage, about 10 feet from where Leon was sitting at his piano. I had a great one of him looking right at me, but alas it has disappeared. We saw Joe Cocker from the second row a couple of years before he died.
Jim
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

1976ish, University of Oslo Norway, Students hall..... Chick Corea & Return to Forever. All time most favourite concert.

More recent, I actually enjoyed "Weird Al" Yankovic's "The Alpocalypse Tour" in Winnipeg the most, though I did also enjoy several Moody Blues concerts over the last 20 years (at the insistence of the "Rolling Pin Dept.").
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Ozzy on Bark at the Moon tour with Motley Crue in 1984.
Rob
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Steely Dan at Auburn Hills. Y2K Tour Supporting the "Two Against Nature" album. I can't think of anywhere I would have rather been that night. Amazing.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

A couple stick out in my mind.

Herbie Mann in 1969 with Steve Marcus, Roy Ayers, Sonny Sharrock, Miroslav Vitous and Bruno Carr. Some band!

Peter Noone (Herman of Herman's Hermits) in 1985 in a small club in suburban Atlanta was a great surprise. Everyone in the place had a ball.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

(Ooh, this is an old thread.)

Supertramp's "Even in the Quietest Moment" tour, Halifax Forum, 1977-ish.
I think they played some songs from "Crime of the Century" too.

1971(?) The Philip Glass Ensemble, at the Nova Scotia College of Art & Design, also in Halifax.
Specifically, in the Anna Leonowens Art Gallery, so it was a nice small and intimate venue.
This was way back when Philip still had to keep his day job.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I too saw Supertramp twice in the Halifax Metro Centre, in 1981 and again sometime in the 90's.

Most embarrassing concert was going to see Ralph McTell at Imperial College London in 1977, and got up to leave after the backing band finished as I didn't really know who Ralph McTell was. Fortunately Pippa dragged me back down to my seat and forgave me.

Best experience was a four nighter - the first Ring Cycle in Canada to mark the opening of the new opera house in Toronto. What an experience - to have ~16 hours of music, costumes, acting, sets, all spread over five days. You spend the days trying to make sense of the story and what it might mean, attending lectures, and thinking, talking and dreaming of nothing else. You enter a weird state akin to to the delusional mood of pre-psychosis, aware your mind has been taken over and occupied by something alien. I felt tantalisingly close to making sense of it all, but the spell broke shortly after leaving Toronto and I could no longer grasp what it was that I had grokked. Afterwards I read scholarly works analysing the Ring from Catholic, Jungian, Freudian and Marxist points of view, and realised no one else quite understood it. Why was Wotan constrained in action, and how did this lead to the fall of the gods? I had decided it was the contracts he had inscribed on his staff, between himself and the older gods that granted him power.
I still feel the last few minutes of Gotterdammerung are the most emotional moments in music, when Brunnhilde rides Grane into Siegfried's funeral pyre, with achingly sad music for her lost love, the Rhine rises, Hagen is drowned, Valhalla and the gods burn and we are left with the redemption leitmotif and the world is born anew into the age of men. Gods, dragons and dwarves all gone. Ah, me - makes me cry just to describe it.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve been to only two rock concerts in my life and I’m 72: Elton John in the late 1980s and The Rolling Stones on their most recent visit to Toronto. I hated Elton John as the music was outlandishly loud and left my ears ringing for days. Up to that point I was luke warm to him, but following that concert I decided he was not for me. On the other hand the Stones blew me away, or should I say Mick blew me away. Three non-stop hours of unadulterated energy, creativity and great music. My wife and I paid a premium price for the tickets, but it was well worth it...I even bought a Stones’ T-shirt on my way home at the train station; it was a third the price they were selling for in the venue.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:13 am I too saw Supertramp twice in the Halifax Metro Centre, in 1981 and again sometime in the 90's.

Most embarrassing concert was going to see Ralph McTell at Imperial College London in 1977, and got up to leave after the backing band finished as I didn't really know who Ralph McTell was. Fortunately Pippa dragged me back down to my seat and forgave me.

Best experience was a four nighter - the first Ring Cycle in Canada to mark the opening of the new opera house in Toronto. What an experience - to have ~16 hours of music, costumes, acting, sets, all spread over five days. You spend the days trying to make sense of the story and what it might mean, attending lectures, and thinking, talking and dreaming of nothing else. You enter a weird state akin to to the delusional mood of pre-psychosis, aware your mind has been taken over and occupied by something alien. I felt tantalisingly close to making sense of it all, but the spell broke shortly after leaving Toronto and I could no longer grasp what it was that I had grokked. Afterwards I read scholarly works analysing the Ring from Catholic, Jungian, Freudian and Marxist points of view, and realised no one else quite understood it. Why was Wotan constrained in action, and how did this lead to the fall of the gods? I had decided it was the contracts he had inscribed on his staff, between himself and the older gods that granted him power.
I still feel the last few minutes of Gotterdammerung are the most emotional moments in music, when Brunnhilde rides Grane into Siegfried's funeral pyre, with achingly sad music for her lost love, the Rhine rises, Hagen is drowned, Valhalla and the gods burn and we are left with the redemption leitmotif and the world is born anew into the age of men. Gods, dragons and dwarves all gone. Ah, me - makes me cry just to describe it.

Wow! :shock:

Oh well. Wotan (Woden in English/Odin in Norse) didn't do so poorly in the end. He got a day of the week named after him (Woden's Day = Wednesday). 8)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I must have missed that one --- :shock:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444