The Problem With Straights

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

The Problem With Straights

Post by rustyblade »

Is that you end up collecting so many beautiful razors you forget which ones you have.

Found this in my box today and shaved with it. Forgot I had it after my hiatus. Great shave.

Richard
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And Friodurs hold their edge for an ungodly length of time.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Coincidentally, tomorrow will be the day I get to shave with my own Friodur, and I know it'll be a good shave. It looks almost identical to Richard's, except it has a round tip.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

The nice thing about the Friodurs is I don't have to worry about the ol' rusty blade.
Richard
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Problem? What problem? I don't see a problem with this. ;)
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

EL Alamein wrote:Problem? What problem? I don't see a problem with this. ;)
Do you still have only One Blade?
Richard
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Friodur gave me an outstanding shave this morning, with the SRD Opus X soap. Funny how the feel of a SR shave differs from that of a DE/SE. Starting out, it felt maybe a bit rougher than the others, but now, about 13 or 14 hours later, it feels pretty smooth, considering. This is just one of the reasons I won't (can't) stop using the straight razors on a regular basis.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

rustyblade wrote:
EL Alamein wrote:Problem? What problem? I don't see a problem with this. ;)
Do you still have only One Blade?
I plead the 5th Amendment.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Okay brothers, consider yourself call out _

I grew up in Tulsa, at least a hundred years ago _

Why is Straight Edge bettler than Double Edge _

The more I read, the more I learn(ed), DE was/is better _

Help me _

Ever heard of Nathan Hale HS _

Those were the days _
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Spenser wrote:Okay brothers, consider yourself call out _

I grew up in Tulsa, at least a hundred years ago _

Why is Straight Edge bettler than Double Edge _

The more I read, the more I learn(ed), DE was/is better _

Help me _

Ever heard of Nathan Hale HS _

Those were the days _
Hi Spenser,

Well, it's really a personal choice as to why a straight may be better for someone. Others will find a DE better.

When I was a kid of about 12 or 13 I started shaving (it was the early 1980's), I tried everything available then and settled on a straight because I liked it the most. The shave was close and forgiving. I also found it to be the most versatile shaving tool out of everything.

The only thing that will convince you either way is to try one. If the bug hasn't bitten you yet though I'd advise you just let it go. Hope that helps.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Spenser. I enjoy using the straight razors alongside my SE (Cobra Classic) and and my DE (Barbasol with the floating head). I like them all because they are just different, and using them keeps me interested in the whole process. Additionally, the straight razors have this whole maintenance thing going on, which many people find to be a challenge either good or bad, or both. The time and money spent in chasing the sweet spot in straight razor shaving (finding the right razors, hones, strops, sharpening and shaving techniques, et al) can be considerable.
Gary

DoughBoy68

Re: The Problem With Straights

Post by DoughBoy68 »

I don't have enough of them.............
"If you knew half of what I have forgot you would be an idiot" by DoughBoy68
brothers

Post by brothers »

DoughBoy68 wrote:I don't have enough of them.............
The thing is, I've had too many, probably still do, but the reason is that as you say, I never feel like I have "enough" of them. There's always one more out there that seems to be calling my name. I'm just a piker, because I know a few guys who have thousands of straight razors.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wow. I loved my Friodur. And it was easily the best at keeping an edge. Though I did love the looks of the Dovo Bismarck and a few TI's. And it is right, the maintenance of the straights can be fun and it can be exasperating, trying to keep that perfect edge. I primarily used the Hand American strop board with the pastes. Thought now I have a Spyderco sharpening system that could work.

I might try the straight again, if I find a decent one, I may just get it for grins and giggles to see if I take it back up. I have the Spyderco stone and I guess I can find a cheap strop. Might be just the ticket until the Huntlee comes out
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, are you still thinking about jumping back into straight razors at some point?
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:
DoughBoy68 wrote:I don't have enough of them.............
The thing is, I've had too many, probably still do, but the reason is that as you say, I never feel like I have "enough" of them. There's always one more out there that seems to be calling my name. I'm just a piker, because I know a few guys who have thousands of straight razors.
Just an update, after finding that pair of Dubl Ducks several months ago, I'm just cruising along with my small group of daily shavers. Now it seems that keeping this little family sharp and in regular use without further acquisitions is very satisfying. I might pick up a hone now and then, but that's about it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Change is constant, isn't it. New (to me) incoming razors of the non-straight genders have caused me to suspend my regular rotation. I keep reminding myself that now would be a good time to give my straight razors a good sharpening and start using them regularly, because I do enjoy them so very much.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up on this two year old thread, picking up right where I left off. Those straight razors are still waiting for me to get back to them. But this latest single edge razor (The General by Colonial Razors) showed up and firmly and gently took over. If I eventually get bored with near-perfection in the form of an SE and a Feather AC blade, hopefully I'll stop and spend the time sharpening up a few straight razors and get back into the habit of shaving with them.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You need pretty tough skin to use a Feather AC blade every day for an extended period, so I'm guessing a little break with use of a real razor instead will be needed. :wink:

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, I would have agreed with you a month ago. If there is a game changer, in my case it will be The General. High efficiency, no skin irritation from daily use, seemingly a perfect balance of stainless steel handle to aluminum razor head, what else matters? I've been skipping a few days shaving lately because it's almost like I don't really need to shave every day anymore. Notice I didn't say this is my game changer, too early to say. Here's my prediction: if it does change my game, I won't even realize it until one day I'll be sitting here trying to figure out how long it's been since I used to use my straight and DE razors.
Gary