Polsilver Super Iridium problems?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Captnp

Polsilver Super Iridium problems?

Post by Captnp »

At the beginning of the year I dug into my last 20 pack of Polsilver blades. These were purchased at the end of 2015. These blades are awful and irritating for me and nothing like what I've been using for the last few years.

The outside package looks correct however inside the paper wrapping seems rougher and the blades themselves are missing the "Super Iridium" marking (they do have the Extra Stainless" marking).

Before I go looking for replacements did something change or do I have a bad batch?

Thanks.
brothers

Re: Polsilver Super Iridium problems?

Post by brothers »

It may have been just the one blade, or did you try others from that pack? I guess we all come across a less-than-serviceable blade every so often. Those blades have been discontinued. Maybe you just managed to receive one of the last of the breed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

They have been discontinued--really?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Your question causes me to question my information. There are conflicting reports, so I cannot verify this. Bullgoose says they are not discontinued and he has them in stock. If I am mistaken, I do apologize!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My stock of Super Irridiums were from before they combined the label with Polsilver. Also my stock of Polsilvers were from before they combined with Super Irridiums. Of the two I prefer the old Polsilves but both were great blades. I have been nurturing my dwindling supply because they are my all time favorites along with the 7 O'clock supers in the yellow boxes. All made in the same St. Petersburg factory.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Captnp

Post by Captnp »

Thought I'd post a follow up.

I opened another packet with the same bad results so I ordered another 100 blades. Had my first shave this morning and it was perfect. Everything I'd come to expect from these blades.

The 5 blade packets look exactly the same save for a string of numbers on one end that I'm pretty sure weren't on my older good blades either. Inside is a different story. The new blades are nicely wrapped in wax paper with the glue dots of wax holding it together. The bad blades are wrapped in paper and no glue dots. In some this paper is wrapped rather poorly. The new blades do have "Super Iridium" stenciled on the blades, the old ones don't.

Not sure if this was some QC mistake or what, but things seem fine now.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Captnp wrote:Thought I'd post a follow up.
. . . . things seem fine now.
That's the best news.
Gary

slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Great News from OP -- Captnp. I have heard reports of counterfeit blades being sold by less-than-reliable sellers. Not sure if that is OP's situation, but glad it is resolved.
Captnp

Post by Captnp »

Slackskin, these were purchased in Dec. '15 from a well respected internet shaving supply retailer. Having said that they certainly could be counterfeit. The blade, its' markings, and the wrapping seem to point to there. Looking more closely at the outer packet I can see some subtle differences and misalignment in the printing. I should have opened a packet upon receipt. Live and learn I guess.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

The last time this happened was with the Rubies and several of us challenged the seller via ebay and the phonies were pulled. It would be a service to the club if you did the same.
Ouchmychin (Pete)