Hi from a new member

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
thw

Hi from a new member

Post by thw »

Hi guys. I'm new here and recently returned to DE shaving. Like many, I was fed up with the ridiculous cost of cartridges--this is pricing power, and it happens when one entity, or corporation, gains control of a market. Two months ago, I became aware of the resurgence of DE shaving, purchased an Edwin Jagger DE89L, found in a drawer my thirty-year old Old Spice mug and boar brush, and bought a new puck of saving soap at the supermarket. There is now no turning back to that junky fusion handle and blizzard of mostly useless blades.

A little history--I began shaving in the early sixties with a brand new Gillette Super Speed with a blue tip. After a couple years, I purchased two new Gillette Slim Adjustable razors and rotated them for the next fifteen years or so, until blades virtually disappeared from retail stores. For awhile, I then used the Schick adjustable injector razor before getting drawn into the multi-blade razor wars.

Two weeks ago, I bought the Merkur Progress because I was most used to using an adjustable razor. It is a terrific razor, and so is the EJ. I now got the bug and wish I had my old slims. Since I paid only $1.95 for each of the them brand new, I am hesitant to pay the going price for a fifty-year old slim. We'll see. Oh, by the way, my original plan was to save some money by returning to DE shaving. So it goes. I'm happy.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Hi from a new member

Post by Sam »

Save money, maybe at first on blades!!! Then you get brush envy and creams and soaps to try.
thw

Post by thw »

That's right, Sam. Along with the Progress I bought the inexpensive Escali badger brush. It is okay, but already I'm thinking about trying one of the synthetic brushes!
pausted

Post by pausted »

Welcome to the forum! You probably won't end up saving much money but you will enjoy shaving a lot more. :)
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

welcome to smf. Enjoy using your new equipment. Treat yourself to a good soap or cream. Makes the world of difference

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
thw

Post by thw »

Sure thing on getting a good cream or soap. I will order up the green Proraso cream and maybe (just maybe) get one of the Omega synthetic brushes. This shaving thing is like my experience when I got into fishing some years ago, but it's okay. Wanting a fancy baitcast rod or reel (I kept wanting one more) is a way more expensive obsession that wanting one more quality razor. Okay, maybe.
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Welcome to SMF!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome back to traditional wetshaving, thw! (I welcomed you to the forum in another thread. :) )

The Merkur Progress is an excellent razor, perhaps my favorite. Mine is a "Mergress" with the custom-machined metal adjustment knob. The Edwin Jagger models are also excellent razors, as well, for a very reasonable price. You should be very well served by these two.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yup, what everyone else has written... First you'll get into it for the savings, then you'll realize it's actually enjoyable! There goes the savings!

Have fun and welcome to the forum!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for joining us. Good to have you here.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Welcome thw. Collecting shaving gear is fun, and you''ll definitely acquire more as you go along.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
thw

Post by thw »

Thanks to all for the welcome. I'm learning a lot from reading the many informative threads on the forum. Only wish I had never given up on DE shaving all those years ago, but all the needed supplies just dried up in retail stores. Happy to see the resurgence in DE shaving, and I'm amazed at what has become available. Over the years, I tried several times to find a DE razor and blades but never found a thing until I recently noticed sometime on the Internet. Just amazed and very pleased with this development.
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds as if you are on the right track now. There is a lot of knowledge here to be absorbed on these pages. You will be hard pressed to have a question or a problem that has not been discussed here. Please enjoy your wet shaving experiences and share them with us!
Mike
thw

Post by thw »

Well, I might have to look for a thread about what I see is known as Razor Acquisition Disorder (RAD). Back in the day when I began as a DE shaver, there was nothing remotely like access to what is now available on the internet--a person pretty much was limited to the Gillette razors sold at the corner drug store (fortunately, it turned out these were excellent razors). Anyway, I guess I'm a newbie on the current scene and consequently am developing a major case of the RAD malady. So, I went ahead and got the 34C even though I have a brand new, three-week old EJDE89L. I got a Progress between those two acquisitions. Did I mention the new badger and the synthetic brushes? Oh, I looking at a vintage Gillette Tech on e-bay. Is there a known cure for RAD?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sounds like you hit the slippery slope, thw! 8)

- Murray