The Colonial General Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

Re: The Colonial General Razor

Post by Tucker »

It really is a favorite razor of mine. So much so, that I purchased a second to keep at my parents house. Word is that brass and stainless versions are to follow. It is a very mild razor. If I had to find a criticism, it is that it is somewhat tuggy on a multi-day stubble, but if you have a 24 hour stubble it is sublime. I do prefer the Feather Pro's to the Kai Milds, but only by the slightest of margins. Both are great blades in the General.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have found that the General seems mild but with either a Feather Pro or Kai Captain blade even a 2 day (even 3 once) beard just melts away with a single pass ATG. Can't explain it, but the results are highly pleasing in my case.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I shave with SE's everyday. I tried the new 'fad' SE's and sold them all after about a dozen shaves each. I'll stick to all my 'antiques'----Gem, Star, Treet, Ever Ready, Autostrop----great shaves and I love the nostalgia! To each, his own!
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, you've intrigued me enough that I have ordered a brass razor. It says they are discontinued, but I don't mind plain brass. The lack of knurling on the handle is a bit disturbing, but I assume the thread on the head is compatible with the handle of any three-piece razor? It is not stated whether the razor is made for Feather AC Professional or Professional Super blades, but I have the impression that it
s the former (I hope so, having lots of them!)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

It is compatible with all standard threaded handles, and it does accept Feather Pro blades. I don't have any of the Super Pro Feathers, so I cannot comment.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The razor arrived today, and of course, I had to shave with it. It's a lot kinder to use than the Cobra, but still manages to leave a very smooth face. Now that was with a new blade, and I do tend to leave the blades in for about two weeks, so that might change as the blade blunts. I see it can take either a Professional or a Professional Super, but for the moment I'll stick with the Professional blades - any further exposure from a wider blade might well destroy the rather nice character of the shave I had today. It looks very elegant in brass, and is well-finished with no defects on the surface. The blade fits in nicely with no fuss, and the smooth handle actually didn't get slippery, but I did try to keep it dry. All in all, I am hopeful that this will be better for frequent use than the Cobra, which does a good job, but tends to make my skin a bit red and sore if I use it for several days in a row.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mild but very efficient.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sounds like the same results I get from my vintage techs with a new blade.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I consider myself fortunate to have found my latest favorite razor. It's a pretty safe bet my search has reached a very satisfactory conclusion.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm travelling up in Cape Breton at present, and brought the Cobra in my washbag. I'm surprised on comparing it to two week's use of the General how aggressive it now seems. I never thought of it that way.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

The General in stainless steel with a new knurled handle for better grip will soon be offered at a reasonable price of less than $60. Probably within 2 or 3 months from now.

Yesterday my 20 shaves used Kai blade removed a heavy 2-day beard and the result was another routine bbs. Part of the credit goes to the Phoenix & Beau tallow soap from the UK.
Gary