Cremo Sandalwood Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Cremo Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

There's something new. I located it at Target. Maybe it's elsewhere, of course. I noticed a tub (not tube) of Cremo Lathering Shaving cream on the shelf at my local Target a couple of weeks ago. If my memory is correct, I believe it specifies the use of a brush. I didn't buy it, I was hoping I could find a review before spending the money. Next time we are at Target I"ll see if I can get a couple of pics, if the stuff's still in stock. :)

I just searched Target's web store. It's Sandalwood fragrance, 4.5 oz called Cremo Lathering, and there's a handsome Spanish horsehair brush by Cremo. Kudos to Cremo and Target!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Cremo Sandalwood Shaving Cream

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the update, Gary.

I wonder how the formulation of the new cream compares to that of the brushless cream in a tube.

- Murray
ask4Edge

Post by ask4Edge »

Haven't tried it, but no major change in formulation (so far).
Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya Fruit Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Juniperus Virginiana Oil, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, BHT, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polyether-1, Xylitol, Perfluorodecalin, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Linalool.

Per reply (dated 2.17.17), on another shave site, by a poster self-identified as from Cremo Company: "we...are already working on improving the formula of our Lathering Shave Cream."
Last edited by ask4Edge on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the information, ask4Edge!

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Ironically, I was in a Target store the other day & noticed it as well. I unscrewed the lid and smelled it.................or at least attempted to as it had no smell whatsoever to my nose. Seriously, none. Nada. Pass. :shock:
pausted

Post by pausted »

I was in Target today and decided to take one for the team. :) Sorry, BPman, but I detect a nice, although light, sandalwood scent. The cream is quite soft and has some shine to it. I'll give it a try tomorrow and give you guys a report. For $7.99 its worth a try.
Best regards,

Basil
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for taking one for the team, Basil! I'll look forward to your report.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hoping the product works out well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

After only one shave with the Cremo cream, here are my initial thoughts. I had read earlier on another forum that the cream tends to dissipate quickly after application so I used a lot more product hoping that this would help solve the problem. I used at least three times as much as I would normally use with a quality cream; a large index finger full. I bowl lathered it. It lathers readily and I added probably two tablespoons of water during the lathering process.

This cream excels in slickness, so much so that it is able to overcome some of its other shortcomings. During the first pass the cream thinned on the left side of my face while I made the pass on the right side. I didn't re-lather during the pass and the slickness allowed for a comfortable pass on the left side. After lathering for the second pass. the same thing occurred. I don't mean to say that the lather disappeared, only that it got thinner.

The final result was a BBS shave in two passes with a bit of clean up. Clean up without re-lathering is easy and comfortable again because of the slickness of the cream. I used the General razor with a Kai mild blade. This is a fine combo! The slickness is evident again during rinsing. It takes a lot of water to get this off ones face.

My conclusion is that this is an inexpensive, useable cream but certainly not a memorable one. If Cremo intends to compete with other quality US made creams such as AOS or Nancy Boy, they have some work to do. I should mention that the scent is pleasant. There is some sandalwood but its very light. I didn't notice any objectionable elements in the scent.

It was a good shave but I won't be stocking up on this stuff. :)
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have an opinion that products such as this are targeted toward massive numbers of consumers who aren't interested beyond getting an annoying chore over with and forgotten until it rears it's ugly head once again.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Basil.

It sounds pretty good for the price, at which point it certainly isn't intended to compete with high-end creams.

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

brothers wrote:I have an opinion that products such as this are targeted toward massive numbers of consumersent who aren't interested beyond getting an annoying chore over with and forgotten until it rears it's ugly head onceen again.
I agree, Gary. For the guy who uses carts or disposable razors and is not anal (like we are :( ) this cream would be a big improvement over canned foams or gels. Although I haven't tried it, I suspect it could be successfully used brushless. The ingredients are not much different than the brushless version in tubes.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think maybe ladies too.
Gary

TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

thanks for the review. I also noticed it recently at Target and was wondering the same thing. I actually like the cremo in a tube, despite it being brushless (it is the ONLY brushless goo I use, normally I hate the stuff). But, I only use it for my head-shaving in the shower. Something about the hot water and steam makes it slicker than anything. And apparently my casaba has more tolerance than my face, so the lack of cushion, etc, is more than made up for with the slickness. Works great for that purpose. But I don't think I will be trying the tub version. Thanks...
Tom
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

My experience with this new Creamo was disappointing. I have three other flavors of Creamo and they are great. After two less than average shaves, I piffed this product @ Maggards meet!!!!! Very poor marks from me.
Mike
Steve

Post by Steve »

Does Cremo shaving cream lather better with a brush and a bow?

Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve wrote:Does Cremo shaving cream lather better with a brush and a bow?

Steve
Steve, here's a review (November 2009) of Cremo in which I tried it brushless and also with a brush. It seems it lathers rather well with a brush. (Or I should say, at least it did nine years ago. :D )

Post by brothers » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:09 am

#21 Cremo Shave Cream

1. Product name: Cremo Shave Cream
2. Country of origin: USA
3. Container size: 6 oz 177 ml plastic tube
4. Price: $6.75 Shaving Essentials
5. Cost per ounce: $1.13
6. Fragrance: Does it have a scent? Light citrus (Bergamot)
7. Texture: Describe the look and feel. White, thick lotion.
8. Protective: Does it protect against razor burn and chafing? Yes
9. Lubrication: Is it slippery? Did it help the razor slide smoothly? Yes
10. Efficiency: Does it do what was expected to help me shave? Yes
11. Endurance: Does it require reapplication during or between passes? No
12. Washable: Does it wash off face & razor easily afterward? Yes
13. Moisturizing: Does it add/restore moisture? Yes
14. Time elapsed: How long did it take to shave, from prep to cleanup? 9 min
15. Brush lather: Will a brush make it lather in a bowl? Yes
16. Brush cleanup: Does it easily rinse out of a brush? Yes
17. Did I enjoy the shave without a brush? Yes
18. Remarks: Marketed as “The Best”, brushless, and super lubricating. The directions recommend rubbing the product into the whiskers for 30 seconds before shaving. With this product my brushless shave was close, smooth, and well moisturized. The fragrance was mild and pleasant. When I was testing for brush lather I noticed that Cremo tends to respond quite well to the brush, so following the brushless trials, I’m going to give this product a couple of tryouts with a brush and a hot scuttle to see how it shaves through multiple lathering passes.
Gary

Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info! I hope it has not been reformulated since 2009. I find that some creams that are supposed to be applied by hand, work better with a brush. Kiss My Face is a good example of that. They lather fine with a brush.

Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Steve wrote:Does Cremo shaving cream lather better with a brush and a bow?

Steve
Lathers better for me but I use a brush for everything no matter what the label says.
Regards,
Squire
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Squire,

Thanks! Does it later as well with a brush as say. Proraso?

Steve