Another $300 razor, with a surprising blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Re: Another $300 razor, with a surprising blade

Post by brothers »

mantic wrote:I've published an extensive article about the OneBlade on Sharpologist, including comments from the CEO and links to the design team.

--Mark
Mark, do you have any inside information from or about the news that the company has now increased their price 33% from $299 to $399, and acknowledging there were some design flaws in the first production run (now sold out) that is in direct contradiction of their previous statements that the original design was considered ideal? Has the company changed hands, as far as you know? I think they should give you another one (new improved design) so you can compare the two and give us the benefit of your expertise.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

brothers wrote:Mark, do you have any inside information from or about the news that the company has now increased their price 33% from $299 to $399, and acknowledging there were some design flaws in the first production run (now sold out) that is in direct contradiction of their previous statements that the original design was considered ideal? Has the company changed hands, as far as you know? I think they should give you another one (new improved design) so you can compare the two and give us the benefit of your expertise.
Yes I do have some information:
  • - The price is increasing.
    - The design changes are tweaks (IMHO) to some of the internal engineering of how the blade is stabilized inside the head. I have limited information on the details because patents are involved.
    - The company has not changed hands (as far as I know).
    - As a matter of fact they *just* sent me a new one. I got it a couple days ago but I've only been able to shave with it once so far. Externally they look identical. Based on one shave I think the new one performs *slightly* better, in an evolutionary (vs. revolutionary) sort of way. It "feels" milder but actually seems to reduce the stubble more efficiently (again, IMHO).
I'm planning an updated article on Sharpologist soon.

EDIT: To go a bit further into the "design flaw" comment, I suspect (though I don't have any hard data yet) it was more of a production glitch on one of the manufacturing runs than something in the design. I think something squeaked past QC.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very informative. Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tucker wrote: . . . . I am wondering if they are redesigning the OneBlade to prevent the use of modified GEM Blades?
Mark, this came up in another current SMF thread, and it does raise a very important possibility. Do you have any information in this regard? Yesterday I had a new "OneBlade V2" and one of the optional leather razor cases in my shopping cart, and couldn't go through with the purchase due to my own concern about the blade issue. I have used the Gem blades with success in my own original OneBlade a few months ago, and I know there are a number of guys throughout the forums that use Gem blades. What's your opinion? Or better yet, what does OneBlade say about this?
Gary

mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

brothers wrote:
Tucker wrote: . . . . I am wondering if they are redesigning the OneBlade to prevent the use of modified GEM Blades?
Mark, this came up in another current SMF thread, and it does raise a very important possibility. Do you have any information in this regard? Yesterday I had a new "OneBlade V2" and one of the optional leather razor cases in my shopping cart, and couldn't go through with the purchase due to my own concern about the blade issue. I have used the Gem blades with success in my own original OneBlade a few months ago, and I know there are a number of guys throughout the forums that use Gem blades. What's your opinion? Or better yet, what does OneBlade say about this?
Unfortunately I do not have an opinion on this one way or the other. I've never tried using a GEM blade, but since I do have both versions I guess I could run out and get some to try. :)

OneBlade's position has always been that the Feather SE is the only blade to use.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Gem blade's spine has to be removed and some of the guys also nip off a bit of the blade near the corners of the naked blade's spine to make it fit easily. The Gems perform very well in the One Blade, and last through several days of shaving at a lower cost and wider availability.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I have now read a post elsewhere showing a Gem installed in a V2 OneBlade, along with a statement from someone at OneBlade confirming Gems will fit, and they are aware that a lot of guys are using them. They also repeated that they recommend only the Feather.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Website now indicates the price is $399. Round that off to $400 and we're talking real money now. Not a criticism, many guys love it, so I presume those same guys might jump at the chance to buy a spare OneBlade for a hundred more than they spent on the first one. I hope they sell 100,000 if these sweet razors.
Gary

Antonine

Post by Antonine »

I would love to shave with one of those.
I'm shaving to look good.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Squire wrote:Hey, I've got no problem with conspicuous consumption, vapid, self indulgent people can make for amusing companions. Still, I don't have a line of folks watching me shave so who cares?
I agree. Just because one "can" afford it, doesn't mean one "should" afford it. Personally, I would rather send my granddaughters to college than have a $300 razor. I understand that $300 won't send them to college, but you get the point.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I bought one when they were $300 so I could use it and decide for myself whether it is as good as they say. Without question, the OneBlade razor is unique and it does provide excellent results. True to the company's word, they promptly refunded my money in full when I returned the razor within the guaranteed money back time period. The issue with blades turns me off and I did not wish to deal with that. Speaking of efficiency and blades - - - -

- - - - enter the General single edge razor by Colonial Razors. When I got mine, it was $30 for the head only. Fits any standard handle. Uses Feather Pro and Kai Captain blades, in my case each of those brands last between 15 and 20 outstanding shaves on a daily basis. The thing about the General razor is the drastic difference in design between the Cobra and its progeny. The General is not harsh like the Cobra. When using the General, a gentle hand and no hurry yields a bloodless and irritation free shave without thinning the skin through daily use. The OneBlade with moving parts and breakable springs meets its match without a recommended blade that costs a dollar and a factory recommendation that the blade be thrown away and replaced after only one shave. The Feather Pro and Kai blades also cost $1, but they last 15 to 20 times longer, plus proving a close and smooth irritation free shave every time. My opinion only, to be sure, and it works for me. Others may or may not disagree after using both razors for several weeks. Just in case I didn't say it, the OneBlade and the General provide great shaves. I have no problem with the performance of those two, but there are problems based on the design of the head with Cobra and its progeny being harsh and easily causing blood at any given time with the same blades as the General uses, and then there is the threat of skin thinning with regular use which I am not experiencing with the General.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

slackskin wrote: . . . . Just because one "can" afford it, doesn't mean one "should" afford it. Personally, I would rather send my granddaughters to college than have a $300 razor. I understand that $300 won't send them to college, but you get the point.
Same here. When I retired 5 years ago I started looking at things differently. On a shopping trip I ducked into a store to grab some Bourbon. Saw a limited edition I liked for $67.00 and while pulling it off the shelf noticed a bottle of very good Bonded Bourbon for $17.00. On the spot I decided to change my purchasing habits and put the $50.00 difference in the grand kids trust fund.

Been doing that ever since. It's statistically improbable I will live long enough to see a grandchild graduate from college but would like to leave them something more tangible than faded photographs and amusing anecdotes.
Regards,
Squire