I am thinking about an open comb.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
NickNCut

I am thinking about an open comb.

Post by NickNCut »

I try not to repeat old questions but cannot find a good answer.

I have been wet shaving for close to 15 years now and have used at least a dozen different razors and more blades than I can count.

I have never used an open comb and want to try one. My question is where to start. My goto razor is a late 40's Tech. I like it better than a TTO because the head is so much thinner. I know most consider this a very mild razor (which is one of the reasons I like it) but more for the thin head which allows me to get under my big nose better. And with good technique I can get a great shave with it

Should I be looking old Gillette or a new razor? My gut says go old but they seem to cost about as much as new if they are in good condition.
CMur12

Re: I am thinking about an open comb.

Post by CMur12 »

Hi NickCut -

Hopefully, you will get some good responses to your question.

As far as I know (have read), the older Gillette open-comb razors are much more aggressive than a Tech. I tried a Gillette NEW, which everyone was talking about at one time, and it was the most aggressive razor I ever tried. I never got past the start of a shave because it took the skin right off. As you would expect, others have different opinions about the NEW and other Gillette open combs.

Some say that the Merkur with open comb is very mild and some say that it isn't, so once again, you may have to try razors for yourself to see what suits you. Let's see what others have to say. Feedback will depend on how aggressive a razor a respondent likes. (I believe Brian/ShadowDad has some experience with these.)

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Have you tried a Single Edge razor (aka SE and not straight edge).

If you're mind is open let me know.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:...As far as I know (have read), the older Gillette open-comb razors are much more aggressive than a Tech. I tried a Gillette NEW, which everyone was talking about at one time, and it was the most aggressive razor I ever tried. I never got past the start of a shave because it took the skin right off...
I had both a SC & a LC NEW and sold the short comb. No one wanted my LC. :( I last loaned it to a Newbie and it literally slaughtered him so he said. I can use an OC razor on my cheeks & neck, but not on my chin or around the mouth as they have more blade exposure and are not smooth for those parts IMO. Others swear by them however. In essence, OC razors are for those who enjoy more aggressive razors IMO. I don't. [-X
brothers

Post by brothers »

You should probably give the old Gillette NEW a try, just because. Regarding new razors, I recommend checking out the large variety of different brands and price ranges available on Italian Barber's website. Many of them are open comb designs. PS: have you tried the Merkur Progress? Not an open comb, but one of the best all around adjustable razors. Good luck with your search. Please come back and let us how it's working out, as you go.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

The Merkur 1906 is relatively mild as OC razors go. It's also quite a deal at about $30. I think that the head is similar to the Gillette old type -fairly light and thin compared to th e new.
Rick
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

blantyre wrote:The Merkur 1906 is relatively mild as OC razors go. It's also quite a deal at about $30. I think that the head is similar to the Gillette old type -fairly light and thin compared to th e new.
I thought all the heads were the same on two-piece Merkurs except for a slant. That is, all open combs are the same, and all closed combs are the same. The reason I ask is that I have a 34C, which is aggressive to me on high spots, so I wanted to try the 1906.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Shave4Fun wrote:
blantyre wrote:The Merkur 1906 is relatively mild as OC razors go. It's also quite a deal at about $30. I think that the head is similar to the Gillette old type -fairly light and thin compared to th e new.
I thought all the heads were the same on two-piece Merkurs except for a slant. That is, all open combs are the same, and all closed combs are the same. The reason I ask is that I have a 34C, which is aggressive to me on high spots, so I wanted to try the 1906.
That's a good point you may very well be right, I don't know. I only thought of the 1904 because I had one a few years ago and it seemed like a good quality razor for the price. It was mild compared to most OCs I've used.
Rick
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

blantyre wrote:
Shave4Fun wrote:
That's a good point you may very well be right, I don't know. I only thought of the 1904 because I had one a few years ago and it seemed like a good quality razor for the price. It was mild compared to most OCs I've used.
Perhaps I need to try one now!
Roger

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

blantyre wrote:
Shave4Fun wrote:
I dug this up: http://www.mistershaver.com/ultimate-gu ... ty-razors/
Roger

gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

If you're interested in an open comb PM me I have many
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

Thank you all for the replies and am so sorry for my delay in responding. I used to get emails when I got a response to a post, I'll have to check my settings and spam filters. I never got any emails so I didn't know there were any replies and then my daughter stole my computer for the last few days to work on a school project.

I did get a West Coast Shaving open comb since my post, it was under $20 so why not. I've only used it once and man is it aggressive, I would put it about the same as a Gillette adjustable on 11 (Spinal Tap reference for those to young). I took my time and did get a great shave with no blood loss. So overall I am pleased and want to try out some others to find a sweet spot and the WCS is nice but cheaply made hence the price.
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

Murray-That is one that is on the top of my list. I am trying to figure out any difference between them, gets kind of confusing.

Brian-Piqued my interest I've know about Schick Injectors, but had no idea that SE's they were around long before DE's and how many other manufactures there are.

BPman-I generally am not into agressive either, but wonder if I'm stuck in a rut from my early days of wet shaving(see reply below).

Gary-Actually my very first DE razor was a Mekur Progress. That was an awful choice. As my brother-in-law has described his early days. He said he looked like a walrus during mating season when all the males are fighting over the females and they were all bloody around the face from the battles.

Rick, Roger-Yeah, I looked into them and might try a 1904. What started me on all of this was ordering a wood handle from WCS for my Tech head. I've never owned a wood soap holder before (I've always used Anchor glass bowls which were the perfect size). My wife bought me a bowl of Floris for Christmas and I decided I wanted a handle to match. I realized I really liked the long handle and that brought back a disease that I thought I had beat a long time ago and want more shaving stuff now. I guess there is no cure.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm surprised that you had a bad experience with a Merkur Progress.

I require a mild razor and I have tried a lot of razors over the years. I have a "Mergress," with the machined metal knob at the end of the handle, which I use at the mildest setting, and it is the best razor (for me) that I have found.

- Murray
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

CMur12 wrote:I'm surprised that you had a bad experience with a Merkur Progress.

I require a mild razor and I have tried a lot of razors over the years. I have a "Mergress," with the machined metal knob at the end of the handle, which I use at the mildest setting, and it is the best razor (for me) that I have found.

- Murray
I don't blame the razor, I wish I would have kept it.

It is just a bad razor to start with. I have come to agree with the never start with an adjustable logic that most people seem to have. It is just one more choice to make when you are trying to figure out blades and creams and everything else that you need to know.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree with you about the risk of getting an adjustable for a first razor. That's exactly what I did. Having learned on my dad's 1930s Gillette Tech, I bought a Slim for about $1.49 at the local drug store. I distinctly remember making a choice between that razor and the slightly more expensive $1.95 Fatboy. I was trying to be frugal, I think. First time out of the box I was disgusted with the concept of a big strong man like me being afraid of anything, so I cranked that Slim all the way to 9 and cut my face worse than I ever had with the Tech. I cussed and cursed that - - - razor every day. I didn't know how to use an adjustable razor correctly and blamed the razor instead of myself. I still have that razor, and the Tech.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I think an adjustable is a good way to go if one can resist the urge to keep adjusting it. I would recommend starting with the Progress at its mildest setting and leaving it there until one's basic technique is developed. It is mild at this setting, but not as mild as a Tech.

The advantage to an adjustable is that the new shaver won't have to purchase razor after razor to find one that works for him. Then when his technique is developed, he may have to go through the whole process all over again. A good adjustable razor, such as the Progress, would require one purchase only and it should be good for a beginning shaver to advanced.

- Murray

PS. I'm not a fan of the Gillette Adjustables.
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

CMur12 wrote:The advantage to an adjustable is that the new shaver won't have to purchase razor after razor to find one that works for him. Then when his technique is developed, he may have to go through the whole process all over again. A good adjustable razor, such as the Progress, would require one purchase only and it should be good for a beginning shaver to advanced.
This is a very reasonable statement. Most of us are enablers always egging the rest on to buy and try more razors, etc. Actually the Progress is one of the few razors that I've not owned or even tried for that matter - you may have inadvertently made a sale here!
Rick
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Rick, it took me years to finally buys a Progress (Mergress), myself. When I finally got a clear enough statement from another shaver that the mild adjustment started mild enough, I finally made the purchase. Until then, I had avoided adjustable razors. This one is the best razor I ever bought, and I have bought quite a few. I recall Mark/mantic expressing great fondness for this razor, as well, declaring that they would have to pry his out of his cold, dead hand before anyone would ever get it away from him. :D

- Murray