Heads Up! TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Heads Up! TOBS Cedarwood shaving cream

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks guys....appreciate the stockist info.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

dispatched today :D

btw, doesn't that sound much better than shipped??? All very fancy!! :D

clive
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I ran out of my Jermyn Street cream and so started using some Cold River Soap Works Classic shaving soap, also one of Brothers recommendations. I love the scent but found that the soap, while excellent for a soap just wasn't as creamy as the TOBS cream. So today I did a search and found TOBS on Amazon Prime. I didn't find the cedar but bought some sandalwood and a cream titled: Court Hairdressers. The description on Amazon says: "Revitalizing fresh citrus traces blend vigorously with the sophistication and ruggedness of precious cedar and oak woods" Now that bit of puffery sounded to good to pass up. Has anyone here heard of the stuff? Maybe I'll post a review when it comes in..
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Post a review Pete, I'd like to hear about it.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Post a review Pete, I'd like to hear about it.
ditto on the request :D

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Cedarwood was in todays mail, but I didnt open postbox until after I had already shaved :cry: Anyway, just dropping in to say that the scent is *very* nice....similar to AoS ocean kelp(??) Looking forward to giving it a whirl later this week
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Sorry guys, my package from Amazon arrived today and the TOBS Hair Dresser cream arrived leaking. Got on the outside of the jar and the inside of the box. I am sending it back. Hope they package it better next time. Funny, the Sandalwood came from a different vendor and was packaged in a zip lock bag and didn't leak.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Hi Pete. I buy cucina hand soap from amazon all the time because of the price, but at least every 3rd shipment has to be returned because of leaks....PITA!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing worse than having to send something back because of bad packaging

clive
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Got my tub of TOBS Cedarwood cream today. Took a second shower and decided to shave my two day old beard. As usual this new cream from TOBS worked wonders. Easy to lather, nice glide did not take a ton of cream to get the job done. Only disappointment is the scent. Not a really strong scent. I like a somewhat strong one. Still not bad. No sad I bought the cream and hope that it may grow on me. Wife liked it but she too thought it was a mild scent. I found this to be true with TOBS Almond cream. Nice scent but too mild especially compared to C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Not a really strong scent.
perfect example of ymmv.........i find the scent incredibly strong and very perfume like ....partner doesnt like the scent much either :( It does lather and shave wonderfully though!

clive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh well, back to the drawing boards, can't hit if you don't swing.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

An update on my TOBS Cedarwood cream. I spoke too soon. Stuff is really good when the shaving part is concerned as I said above but now the scent thing is coming around too. So I would give this a 9.5 on a scale of 10.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Glad you like it.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's shave with the TOBS Cedarwood cream was outstanding.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

FYI I noticed that this cream is now available on Amazon for about $17. If I didn't already have about 30 creams/soaps I'd probably pull the trigger!
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up --- I've used the TOBS Cedarwood for the past two days. Right now it's a candidate for my next product that gets used every day until it's all gone. Can't say for sure, but it's an outstanding fragrance in an outstanding shaving cream.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok. Contender status. It's this or a rose scent
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been almost a year since I used the Cedarwood. Used it again this morning. It's very good.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Regarding the scent, I may be wrong, but I think the scent dissipates a little bit every time I use it as I am leaving the lid off of the tub for several days at a time, while I'm using it almost daily.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I'm late to the party on this one, but I bought a tub of this cream a couple of weeks ago.

First, I had forgotten the unbeatable performance of TOBS cream. Superb stuff.

Second, the scent: not true cedarwood, this is a clean scent. The fact that some folks pick it up more than others probably has to do with the Iso E Super clearly used here. It's an aromachemical that is sort of cedary and sort of peppery. It would smell perfumey to many noses and is paired here with clean musks and some light citrus to create a soapy, vaguely woody scent that is just very "clean" in the way of many men's fragrances ca. 2008 or so, which is to say post-aquatic and pre-cedramber. It's not overly sweet or rich or cloying, but I can understand where it might not be to everyone's taste. For me, it's very nice, and not all that far removed from Tyrwhitt's Lemon and Cedar as best I can recall.

Three straight days of fantastic shaves with this one. I'll probably use it through Friday and then shift gears, but this is good stuff. I'm tempted now to snag some TOBS Grapefruit and maybe Lavender. Just such fine lather. If this firm would contract with whomever is making current Salter/Harris tallowate soaps or the firm that once made the excellent stearate-heavy Taylor pucks of several years back, I would buy them up, particularly lavender pucks or hard soaps in this Cedarwood scent. The company has earned my trust by virtue of its consistency and its willingness to venture forth with new products far more often than Trumper or Harris or T&H.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau