A New Lease on Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
EL Alamein

A New Lease on Creams

Post by EL Alamein »

As anyone who has followed these boards for the past eleven years you know that I have a glycerin allergy and as such cannot use the vaunted shaving creams for more than a shave or two because I tend to start getting irritation. I have always done a two pass shave being a straight razor shaver.

Well, of late, I have started down the road, I believe, Dr. Moss has taken and returned to doing a one pass shave. I decided to take this route because of skin thinning issues due to Father Time taking his toll on me.

I've settled on doing mostly my second pass of across the grain in places and against it in other places as my only pass. The result is a nearly as smooth shave as I did with two passes when my skin was more resilient. I decided to try this with my creams in the last few weeks and the result is fantastic. No irritation and a clean close shave.

I attribute this to the fact that I am not re-lathering. This then leads me to believe that re-lathering with glycerin-based creams (of which all of them are) was the source of my irritation with them. It was most likely my freshly-shaven skin on the first that could not tolerate the glycerin.

Well, now that I am shaving with only one pass this is a non-issue and I am greatly enjoying the results. I can now use my now-vintage creams with abandon without the ensuing irritation. I have many of the pre-Crack-of-Doom creams that will last me years and I intend to use them up.

Whatever blade you use has anyone else had this sort of experience?

Chris
brothers

Re: A New Lease on Creams

Post by brothers »

Chris, I read your post with interest. My awakening to the single pass daily shave a number of months ago was a turning point for me. I shave against the grain. The following touchup needs only a splash of water, then I'm done. This requires a high degree of slickness. I once preferred soaps, but used several creams also. Over the last few weeks it has occurred to me that shaving creams are slicker than soaps, expecially when touching up with the water splash. I attribute the enhanced slickness to the residual glycerin in the creams.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

Following this trend I have migrated to an against the grain single pass. In the shower usually. With a cream, although from a tube.

Excellent results.

I need to try this at the sink with a more traditional cream - I understand just what Gary means by the extra slickness left behind after that first pass.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

What about using reportedly super slick glycerin soaps like Imperial Barber and Kell's (neither of which I have tried). Would that have results similar to slippery creams?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote:Chris, I read your post with interest. My awakening to the single pass daily shave a number of months ago was a turning point for me. I shave against the grain. The following touchup needs only a splash of water, then I'm done. This requires a high degree of slickness. I once preferred soaps, but used several creams also. Over the last few weeks it has occurred to me that shaving creams are slicker than soaps, expecially when touching up with the water splash. I attribute the enhanced slickness to the residual glycerin in the creams.
Gary, yes, I have the same experience. When I have a place that I didn't get so good I just touch it with my watered index finger on my left hand (I shave right-handed all through) and lightly go against the grain. No irritation and it's BBS. Thankfully, I don't have to do this too often. The shave is not as long-lasting as my old two pass but still very acceptable by dinner time. And that's all I'm asking for.

I still get just as great a shave from my mainstay shaving soap -Taylor's of Old Bond Street old formula Lavender. But it's nice to be able to more frequently use these excellent creams that I invested in so long ago. Can't wait to try my Cible cream from France bought when I was first married and has sat in it's tube for all these years but I'm still enjoying my Trumper's Limes cream for the moment. I'll eventually work through them all.

Getting old sucks but we adapt and still have enjoyment.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

slackskin wrote:What about using reportedly super slick glycerin soaps like Imperial Barber and Kell's (neither of which I have tried). Would that have results similar to slippery creams?
Slack, I don't have these products but I'll guess that the performance will be that same. It would be interesting to hear from users of them how they fair.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

no comment on the creams and soaps, BUT welcome to the one pass club. What took you guys so long to join???? :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote:no comment on the creams and soaps, BUT welcome to the one pass club. What took you guys so long to join???? :D

clive
Ha ha, Clive! Thanks for keeping the water warm for us. :)

Chris