Quickest Solution For Razor Burn?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Quickest Solution For Razor Burn?

Post by mantic »

Hi All-- I'm starting to do some research for a Sharpologist article about which aftershave balms work best to get rid of razor burn the quickest. I'm specifically thinking of burn (redness, irritation) vs. shave bumps or ingrowns. Please suggest some products I can purchase to test. Also interested in DIY solutions you've tried that worked well (others have suggested tea bags, aloe vera, sunburn creams, etc.).

(Yes, I know that the best way to fix razor burn is to avoid it in the first place with proper prep/lather/technique :D )
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Quickest Solution For Razor Burn?

Post by drmoss_ca »

The only thing likely to work faster than time is hydrocortisone cream, but one ought not to be using it unless necessary and as you noted, prevention is better than cure.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Mantic, I'm curious if what you mean by "get rid of" means tone the face or actually subdue irritation (which may not tone the skin)?

I am not a balm user so I can't offer any insight on those but still I'm curious as I believe that soothing may not be the same as toning. On the alcoholic aftershave side the equivalent would be a mentholated aftershave that numbs all irritation but may not necessarily tone the skin.

For balms I assume this is the same anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

After all, one may adopt Fernando's philosophy that it is better to look good than to feel good.

Chris
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

drmoss_ca wrote:The only thing likely to work faster than time is hydrocortisone cream, but one ought not to be using it unless necessary and as you noted, prevention is better than cure.

C.
Care to weigh in on the physiological process of razor burn that I can quote (or at least paraphrase) in the article?
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

EL Alamein wrote:Mantic, I'm curious if what you mean by "get rid of" means tone the face or actually subdue irritation (which may not tone the skin)?

I am not a balm user so I can't offer any insight on those but still I'm curious as I believe that soothing may not be the same as toning. On the alcoholic aftershave side the equivalent would be a mentholated aftershave that numbs all irritation but may not necessarily tone the skin.

For balms I assume this is the same anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

After all, one may adopt Fernando's philosophy that it is better to look good than to feel good.

Chris
In the context of the article I'm working on it would be to subdue the irritation (redness and pain).

And...you look marvelous. :D
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

mantic wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:The only thing likely to work faster than time is hydrocortisone cream, but one ought not to be using it unless necessary and as you noted, prevention is better than cure.

C.
Care to weigh in on the physiological process of razor burn that I can quote (or at least paraphrase) in the article?
Nothing complicated, it's just a superficial abrasion, where the razor has scraped off the top layers of the epidermis, leaving behind the lower, more tender layers.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have yet, after 50 years of shaving, to find a balm that in any way soothes my face. In fact, most balms leave my face feeling slightly itchy and oily. What works best for me is an alcohol-based aftershave splash; such splashes leave my face feeling clean and invigorated, especially if they contain a touch of menthol.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote:
mantic wrote:

C.
Nothing complicated, it's just a superficial abrasion, where the razor has scraped off the top layers of the epidermis, leaving behind the lower, more tender layers.

C.
When I have caused myself to sustain superficial abrasions (razor burn) I have used the hydrocortisone creams and/or any of the other good quality face and body lotions on the market to assist in the healing process. It helps to lay off shaving for whatever period of time it takes for the skin to heal itself. Regarding the actual cure, if someone is repeatedly damaging their skin every time they shave, it's time for a careful re-evaluation of their shaving technique and the tools they are using.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

So I am a practitioner of the old-Hollywood custom of slathering petroleum jelly on the face after my shave (whole face, mind you, in an effort to keep it hydrated and youthful). I've done this since I was in High School when I read about it but I haven't considered this balming but I guess it can be considered as such. It was more of an attempt to keep my visage youthful as was touted by the old-Hollywood actors and actresses that employed it. I've mentioned this method a few times on the various forums and most have had negative replies.

One can try this as I believe it does help the freshly shaven skin to hydrate and heal itself just be sure to remove all excess jelly afterward with a terry cloth towel.

Chris
Janus

Post by Janus »

Musgo Real is the best balm I know and it is really soothing on any minor irritation I may sometimes get. Luckily I haven't really experienced major razor burn since my very first de shave many years ago which left me looking like a baboon's backside (some might say my face still looks like that, minus the redness :D ). Anyhow, at that time I didn't know about this product, but I wish I had.
Janus
BPman

Post by BPman »

mantic wrote:...(Yes, I know that the best way to fix razor burn is to avoid it in the first place with proper prep/lather/technique :D )
I agree with that Mark, as well as people using razors far more aggressive than what they need and/or in pursuit of the mythical BBS shave. Too many people are easily influenced by the tsunami of BS & "oneupmanship" on several wet shaving forums. Treat the cause & not the effect. :wink:
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Although hydrocortisone is more effective in the long run (hours to days), for me the fastest relief (minutes) of redness and discomfort is provided by pure aloe vera gel. It is also very effective for sunburn.
_______
John
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

I use jack black post shave cooling gel you don't much to fix razor burn. It is expensive though
Jordan
ateace

Post by ateace »

I have been pleased with these:

Thayer's witch hazel. You can add a touch of glycerine for good measure.

Nivea Sensitive after shave balm applied to moist face

Origins Save the Males after shave balm applied to moist face.

Only time will heal the burn, but these are good soothers.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have had a constant reddish irritation of my lower legs caused by edema (swelling from fluid buildup). I have used every kind of balm and grease to relieve it. I found the greases (Aquaphor, Vaseline etc.) sooth and lubricate but not cure. Emulsions like Vaseline intensive care or probably after shave balms actually irritate the inflammation unless I apply a greasy product immediately afterward. I suspect the same occurs for shaving irritation. I haven't tried hydrocortisone cream, Can anyone give a good one to try?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, there are a couple of name brands in addition to house brands at slightly lower prices. Personally, I don't consider any brands actually better or even different than other brands. They do have lotions and creams, which are available in all brands, so if you have a preference, it would probably be in whether you prefer one to the other, lotion or cream. I hope it works for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks Gary. I will check online at Walmart and see what they have.
Ouchmychin (Pete)