I'm looking for a religious experience with a shaving soap.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
dadsoldmug

I'm looking for a religious experience with a shaving soap.

Post by dadsoldmug »

Okay. My shave routine is very routine. 99% of the time I use proraso new formula in the Green Tube. I gave MWF a good-faith effort and logged the feel and shave but who was heartbroken to find that I was allergic. I use a Feather stainless steel Razor and feather blade. Once in awhile I flip over to Arlington with the same blade and razor, but I find Arlington not quite slippery enough.

Here's the deal. I'm happy with my Razr. I'm happy with my blades. My soap? Not so much. I want a new one. The Shaving soap has to be amazing. I would like something akin to Paul's experience on the road to Damascus. I like the idea of an old fashioned hard soap but I'm open to a cream as well. Given that proraso is perfect with lubrication and Arlington is not slippery enough. Can you make any recommendations? I like Italian. I like German. If you could give me an MWF I'm not allergic to I would use it very often.
pausted

Re: I'm looking for a religious experience with a shaving so

Post by pausted »

I suggest that you try Tabac.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello Scott! Welcome back to SMF. Wish I could help. In 2007 you joined SMF (before I did) and you're still looking after 10 years. :D Me too, except currently in a much more low key and relatively passive way. There are a lot of guys who've been through dozens and scores of soaps, some more than a hundred soaps, who are still looking. The one thing that has changed since 2007 is that nowadays there are a lot of people who've been quite successful at making and selling some wonderful shaving soaps and creams. If you're looking for an alternative to MWF, you really should get yourself a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch. Made in Germany. If you still prefer shaving soaps made in the UK, you can skip "the usual" traditional classics and take a look at the newcomers operating out of the UK and making some outstanding shaving soaps. In addition to the UK, there are dozens of USA and Canadian soapmakers, not to mention Italy, France, Spain, etc. who've certainly created some outstanding shaving soaps. You'll probably want to seriously hit the interweb and break out the debit cards. Tell the wife to go shopping and buy herself some nice things, while you're shopping on your laptop and buying new soaps to try. They're definitely out there and it's your mission to find the one you like the best. Best regards, and Good Luck! (P.S.:I could name a list of great internet vendors and soapmakers, but that would be foolish because it's not even possible to list them all. All of them hard working and serious, and I'd hate to leave anyone out.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge perhaps?
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Antique Hoosier wrote:Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge perhaps?
I don't think he meant 'religious' in the sense of poverty! That stuff's expensive, smells dreadful, and if I remember rightly, is actually Valobra base as used to be used by AOS.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm not sure if I'm up for a religious experience first thing in the morning.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Squire wrote:I'm not sure if I'm up for a religious experience first thing in the morning.
Squire, I'm with you. Give me some strong black coffee first, for Heaven's sake.

I say give Trumper's creams a try. If they're anything like they used to be they're fantastic for what you want.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

EL Alamein wrote:
Squire wrote:I'm not sure if I'm up for a religious experience first thing in the morning.
Squire, I'm with you. Give me some strong black coffee first, for Heaven's sake.

I say give Trumper's creams a try. If they're anything like they used to be they're fantastic for what you want.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Ahhhhhh.... their namesake (cream) "GFT" would be delightful after some morning coffee.
Mike
dadsoldmug

Post by dadsoldmug »

All helpful comments! Thanks all. I'll likely give a couple of these a try and let you know if the religious part came through.
dadsoldmug

Post by dadsoldmug »

Squire and El Alamein's comments made me want to make a coffee-based shave soap rich in caffeine.