What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Re: What are you reading?

Post by maskaggs »

Bonzo wrote:The Litigators by John Grisham. Nice send-up of mass tort attorneys.

Most Grisham books are "check your brain at the door" types, but they make me feel better about being an attorney.
I've lately discovered the John Sutter two-book run by Nelson DeMille, as well as the Harry Bosch work by Michael Connelly. High lit it ain't, but it's great reading.
Regards,
Mike
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

"Last Hope Island" by Lynn Olsen, about the European royalty and government officials who sought refuge in Great Britain during WWII.
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

on a truck as we speak......The Silk Roads: A New History of the World

I was at my nephews house yesterday and this book was lying on a table so of course I picked it up to have a peek.....I have no self control :D :D :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. It's outstanding.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

That's the book on which the musical was based.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:That's the book on which the musical was based.
It is -- but the musical as good as it is, takes significant liberties with history.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

jww wrote:
It is -- but the musical as good as it is, takes significant liberties with history.
You mean the founding fathers didn't actually speak in rap lyrics? :lol:
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:
jww wrote:
You mean the founding fathers didn't actually speak in rap lyrics? :lol:
Nope. I do admit that Chernow takes quite a sympathetic view of Hamilton -- and when I read between the lines, this man was clearly an annoyance to some with his long-windedness and strong opinions. Can't fault the financial system he built though - it probably saved the infant US more than all of the combined diplomatic efforts of some pretty heaving hitting individuals such as Jefferson, Adams, et al. It is an excellent read for sure.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

SoHo Dead by Greg Keen
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
MotifSky

Post by MotifSky »

Finally started Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham :)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

love and hate by linh dinh
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that I have finished Make Me by Lee Child, I am currently working on The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton; Small Wars by Lee Child; The First Commandment by Brad Thor; and Preacher by William W. Johnston.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gary, off topic somewhat: do you follow any of the book sites / blogs?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I admit I don't. I'm probably missing out.

As an afterthought, my son recently told me that over the years he has read a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs books. He recommended that I should check out the 25 book Tarzan series. I checked Amazon and ended up getting all 25 complete books in one volume for less than about $2. :)
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

'The Alhambra and Generalife in Focus' a complete guide. We visited in June and the guidebook is a good read.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tarzan - E.R. Burroughs
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Since a few weeks ago, I've finished 5 (I think) of the 25 Tarzan books. He and Jane are doing great, thank you very much, and baby Jack is too. I'll take a break from Tarzan for a while, as I read something a bit different. I've got about 3 to choose from, and I think I've settled on The Preacher. It's the first book of a series on the old west mountain men. I think it'll be OK, starts out with a 12 year old boy named Art in the early 1800s who runs away from home to become a man. His first day out (rowboat in the Ohio and Mississippi rivers) he makes a friend and they encounter river pirates. Art grabs a 50 cal. pistol and drills one of the pirates, saving his friend's life. His friend gives him $10 for saving his life. They wind up on the second day after putting ashore and hitting 3 saloons and the 12 year old drinks 5 beers then proceeds to witness a robbery and points out the two thieves and his friend has to have a knife fight in the saloon, killing them both, one with the knife and another getting shot by the bartender as he attempted to shoot Art for spilling the beans and getting his partner knifed to death. I guess when I resume the book I'll find out what happens on day 3. Whew, those must have been some exciting times. :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Anyone who had the patience to read the above-posted one minute synopsis of the first few pages is wondering who writes this stuff and who reads it.

I'm sure the author of this and hundreds of related novels is quite rich, and probably famous in his or her circle of acquaintances. That's wonderful. However, let's just say this doesn't appear to be my cup of tea at the moment. The spontaneous killing of 5 grizzled and bloodthirsty miscreants by a 12 year old who's never had a drop of alcohol before drinking 5 beers within about 45 minutes without any physical reaction, in addition to having never been in a rowboat then finding one and navigating the Mississippi river all in the span of 3 days is probably too much for my intellect to absorb without taking a break.

I think I'll take a break from this one for a while.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I am considering another book, and have these three in my short stack for consideration:

1. The Mortal Storm, by Phyllis Bottome Forbes-Dennis, 1938. Dictatorship in Germany.
2. Medieval Civilization 400 - 1500, by Jacques Le Goff, 1964.
3. Meet the Preacher, by Dr. Bill Goff, 1987. About the Apostle Paul.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Enemy of the State, Kyle Mills
Gary