Ok, sold DE, now I need to start over

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Ok, sold DE, now I need to start over

Post by Sam »

About a year ago, grew a beard and sold my DE and got a Harry's 4 blade razor. Nice, but I miss my DE. Shaved beard and now, after four to six uses, the Harry's blade pulls. A lot different from just using a razor to trim a bit versus a full face shave.

Now I have to research what new one to get. I even sold my Feather razors and loved how sharp they were so I now have to research that again. Will start a new thread. Not really looking at the $100 brushes. Dont know that I want to go Merkur particularly, and vintage Gillettes, I forgot all I used to know and well, from the little I have read, Ebay prices are out of whack

Saw a post about the Razorock Hawk. How about that or one of ItalianBarber's DE's?

Suggestions and website links appreciated
CMur12

Re: Ok, sold DE, now I need to start over

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, I'm sure you did a lot of research and trials before the beard and that you had found products that worked for you. Why not return to those?

Of course, there are a lot of new products and you could start the whole process over, but finding the perfect everything for you from scratch will cost you time and money. I don't have the patience to do this anymore, so I settled on favorites a long time ago. Occasionally, I try something new, but not like before.

You might build a basic kit of some old favorites that worked for you before, then sit back with no hurry and watch what comes up on the boards in the way of new tools and expendables.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I had a Edwin Jagger boba's handle with a merkur head. The thing that made it for me was the Personna med prep blades. I'll probly go back-to those but a problem need to figure out a new safety razor as I don't wanna spend as much is the Edwin Jaeger was. However that single bladed razor from razor rock looks promising
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a Hawk you can try out, if you're interested.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, Edwin Jagger and Muehle have their own head now (no longer supplied by Merkur), which is slightly milder, but quite effective, than the Merkur head. (It's still a little too aggressive for me.) With a normal handle, these razors are under $40.00.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I need a little bit more aggressive. Or least I think I do. I have Gray hair now in my beard and also attended to have to want to shave again at 5:00 if I was going to a party. Sure I'd like to try the Hawk. Of heard the Kai blades are pretty good
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, I really like my Mergress razor (Merkur progress with a custom metal knob at the bottom). It is a very effective adjustable razor that you should be able to adjust exactly to your need. Mark/Mantic used to speak very enthusiastically about the Merkur Progress. This could save you from the need to make several purchases to find the non-adjustable razor that is just right for you.

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Sam, Maggards, (maggardrazors.com) sells their DE heads and stainless handles at a very reasonable price. I have the V3A head and MR11 stainless handle and enjoy great shaves from that combo. About $25 invested. The V3A head is mid aggressive and very efficient. I suggest you take a look at their various options.
Best regards,

Basil
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thanks Basil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Atta boy Sam, it's gonna be fun watching this latest journey of yours.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

That it will Squire, that it will
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Sam, here are some of my favorites at various price points:

For $5-$10, I really like the Dorco PL-602, RazoRock DE1 or RazoRock Teck II which are made by Baili. Maggard's Razors also sells a Merkur Futur Knock Off called the Ming Shi 2000s that is great with the right blade.

For $30=$60, I like the Fattip Gentile and the Muhle R-89. It's also hard to beat the EJ DE89 series which it sounds like you have tried.

For $100 and above, I love the Rockwell 6s which has six plates that can change the aggression. I also am a fan of the Feather AS-D2 which I got on Amazon for around $150.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There's always the Tatamagouche discount razor store, with special deals for admins! :D

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

drmoss_ca wrote:There's always the Tatamagouche discount razor store, with special deals for admins! :D

C.
But flights in and out are hard to schedule
jar

One that is a real sleeper in DE razors

Post by jar »

Feather sells a mostly plastic model TTO type razor called the Popular. Paired with the Feather blades it actually produces a mild but efficient shave. They sell for $10-15.00 with two Feather blades and it really does work well.

Another often overlooked option out there is the Chinese made Weishi 9306 family (also sold under a brazillion other brand names) which is a modern version of the Gillette Super Speed. It also provides a surprisingly mild but efficient shave when paired with a sharp blade.

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Jar, thanks for all the useful information. That's a nice collection of stats.

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

CMur12 wrote:Jar, thanks for all the useful information. That's a nice collection of stats.

- Murray
Thanks. Blame it on a career in IT.

But I really need to redo the table and simply round the numbers, as is two of the same model can show entirely different weights and measures. The next iteration will take the numbers back to integers.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I appreciate the time it must have taken. Very interesting to see the detailed side by side comparison.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jar

Post by jar »

brothers wrote:I appreciate the time it must have taken. Very interesting to see the detailed side by side comparison.
In the box I was talking about were three pre-war fat handle Techs. All the Techs I owned were post-war so it will be interesting to see if sizes and weights are similar and to compare the shaves from the pre-war and post-war fat handle techs directly.

My Post-War fat handle:
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Sweet