Kent brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Vincev

Kent brush

Post by Vincev »

I have a Shavemac 2band 26 knot and love it; however I always wanted a Kent brush. I think the BLK/BK 12 maybe too big so I am considering either the 8 or 4. I do not think either could be better than my Shavemac, the brush is truly fabulous but maybe the Kent will be a different experience. Any opinions.
EL Alamein

Re: Kent brush

Post by EL Alamein »

I've never used a Shavemac brush. I've read wonderful things about them though.

That said, IMHO experience, get the Kent and try it. I believe you won't be disappointed.

I've used many a high-end brush and the ultimate was the vintage plexi-glass handled Plisson in European White bristle. I've never experienced a brush so soft yet so lather generating.

Yet the Kent BK4 I own is very similar though not quite the same. It's darn near the same yet not quite as luxurious as the Plisson from the era it was produced nor from anything I've tried from an era hence.

Don't look for the Plexi Plisson anymore because it's from a time long remembered, a dream as it were, but no longer produced for decades.

Try the Kent, it's the best that one can do nowadays, IMHO.

Chris
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Chris,
Thanks
I seem to enjoy a larger brush is the only difference between the 4 and 8 knot and loft?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I think you'll find a huge difference between a Shavemac 2-band and any of the Kent BK's in terms of density and backbone. The Shavemac has much more of both than the Kent. The Kent BK 4 is pillowy soft and cloud-like whereas the Shavemac 2-band feels more robust although the tips are soft. I have both brushes and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of face-feel.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I think you'll find a huge difference between a Shavemac 2-band and any of the Kent BK's in terms of density and backbone. The Shavemac has much more of both than the Kent. The Kent BK 4 is pillowy soft and cloud-like whereas the Shavemac 2-band feels more robust although the tips are soft. I have both brushes and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of face-feel.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

As a 'big' brush fan I highly recommend striking the kent 4 from consideration....it might be one of the best latherers out there, but the size will always disappoint

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

fallingwickets wrote:As a 'big' brush fan I highly recommend striking the kent 4 from consideration....it might be one of the best latherers out there, but the size will always disappoint

clive
My feelings as well
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vincev wrote:Chris,
Thanks
I seem to enjoy a larger brush is the only difference between the 4 and 8 knot and loft?
Vince, the loft is almost the same for the BK4 and 8. The width of the knot in the BK8 is larger. It blooms beautifully after a shave. The handles are shaped the same, but the 8 is larger to maintain proper proportion. I think you'd really like the 8 if you prefer larger brushes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Thank you gentleman,
I thought the experience would be different, I can see a BK8 in my future
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Vince I could easily use a BK4 as my only brush, it's that versatile.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Vincev wrote:Chris,
Thanks
Vince, if you like bigger brushes then by all means try the BK8. I have a BK12 and it's decadent though too big for me nowadays with my taste changing to smaller brushes. I can imagine that the BK8 is the same yet smaller or more accommodating to tastes for such sizes.

I defer to the posts made here on size having never owned a BK8.

Whatever you get please let us know of your experience and how you like it.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Vince I could easily use a BK4 as my only brush, it's that versatile.
+1

When I acquired my BK4 a couple of years ago, it became my main brush. It's a great traveller as well.

And yes, it has been nearly a year since I visited SMF ....... been crazy busy with my consulting business and just had to cut some things out. Now I'm between contracts, I may find myself on the board a bit more.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Wendell, welcome back!

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wendell, welcome back!
57 thumbs up on that sentiment

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:
Wendell, welcome back!

clive
Wendell! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wendell
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:
Wendell, welcome back!

clive
Wendell! :D
Thank you gents ... it's been an interesting year -- full bathroom reno, opened my consulting firm, closed off my first long-term gig, and now just chilling while looking for the next opportunity. Life could be worse, and probably not a lot better.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

full bathroom reno,
I'm sure you were given full permission to create a sublime shave environment hahahahaahah
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:I'm sure you were given full permission to create a sublime shave environment hahahahaahah
My wife actually encouraged the shaving mirror after we saw a similar one in our contractor's recently reno'd bathroom. I have been able to move all my brushes into the new cabinet which has much more shelf space than we had pre-reno.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

My wife actually encouraged the shaving mirror
is the cloned single version running around????? hahaha

clive